Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2020, 10:47 AM

448 posts, read 282,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Like I said, using schools for daycare.
I dont think sending kids to school so you can do your job at home is lazy. When I was remote, and my kids were home, I wanted them in school, so I could get my work done, quietly. (it really wasnt that bad....)

But I Can understand if kids are younger and need more atttention (mine were teens)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2020, 11:06 AM

7,920 posts, read 7,806,919 times
I think we can all agree that this is getting complicated as hell. I've heard of teachers that have to teach in the classroom even though they are also teaching online and yet those online complain because they can't hear the teacher though the mask?!?

If companies really want people to go back to offices they are going to have to offer more than just the office. Going back to the office isn't going to be easy if the kids are still online at home all day. It just isn't practical. Either the worksite stays at home or there has to be some form of on site day care. MGM recognized this as a significant need in springfield so they partnered with head start and have run one since day one and that was precovid.

heck let's go back to 1994...
https://tinyurl.com/yyozanbh

Onsite day care and they even had snow days hosted there. This isn't a new idea.

I'm starting to think that maybe malls could be redeveloped in lieu of corporate parks for this. Maybe something with day care, elderly centers and some retail/restaurants so you don't leave without food. If you really want people to go back they have to justify it.

Old 10-29-2020, 11:07 AM

24,556 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
How?

But its safe for everyone else thats working?

Because teachers work for 6+ hours in a poorly ventilated classroom filled with children who aren't going to be particularly compliant about mask usage and separation. It's a viral loading issue.

Old 10-29-2020, 11:16 AM

7,920 posts, read 7,806,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Because teachers work for 6+ hours in a poorly ventilated classroom filled with children who aren't going to be particularly compliant about mask usage and separation. It's a viral loading issue.
I concur. We have school buildings in Mass that are nearly 140 or so years old. It isn't that easy to fix that. I could cite specifics but the building envelope isn't the same. Kids spread colds as is and it is a flu season. If they can't go outside as often.

Old 10-29-2020, 11:19 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
I think we can all agree that this is getting complicated as hell. I've heard of teachers that have to teach in the classroom even though they are also teaching online and yet those online complain because they can't hear the teacher though the mask?!?
Latest trend is for teachers to buy those microphone headsets that jazzercize instructors use. It’s all the rage at my wife’s school. They are all using them which takes care of that issue.

My wife’s a public school teacher. They are in 5 days a week but only til noon. Then the students go remote. So she’s teaching everyday til noon and then preps the next days online material the rest of the day in the building. She’s home around 4pm. Very few cases and the ones they have had seem to be transmitted from parents to the students or are staff. No in-school transmission...yet

I don’t envy teachers one bit. I’m also happy as hell I can be at home alone and get work done. Even when I go into work, I lock myself up in my office and work solo for the most part.

Old 10-29-2020, 11:46 AM

16,296 posts, read 8,126,207 times
My son's teacher is in the classroom 4 days a week, his cohort goes two days, the other cohort goes two days. She wears a mask during the zoom session and we can hear her find. To solve the problem - send them all back 4-5 days a week. Pembrooke did this recently and they are not far from us.

Old 10-29-2020, 11:53 AM

9,873 posts, read 7,197,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Latest trend is for teachers to buy those microphone headsets that jazzercize instructors use. It’s all the rage at my wife’s school. They are all using them which takes care of that issue.

My wife’s a public school teacher. They are in 5 days a week but only til noon. Then the students go remote. So she’s teaching everyday til noon and then preps the next days online material the rest of the day in the building. She’s home around 4pm. Very few cases and the ones they have had seem to be transmitted from parents to the students or are staff. No in-school transmission...yet

I don’t envy teachers one bit. I’m also happy as hell I can be at home alone and get work done. Even when I go into work, I lock myself up in my office and work solo for the most part.
My son's girlfriend is a first year teacher. She was hired as special ed and had set up a classroom for herself and another spec ed teacher to do specials by pulling kids out of their regular classroom. 3 days before school began, she was told she would be teaching a 1st grade class for 3 hours in the AM and then 2 hours virtual. She had almost no time to prep.

That teacher came back last week and she has now been shifted to a 3rd grade class to cover a maternity leave either for 90 days or the rest of the year.

She leaves school everyday at 3 PM, goes to her parent's house to shower and wash her clothes before going home to their apartment to avoid possible transmission.

Old 10-29-2020, 11:57 AM

16,296 posts, read 8,126,207 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
My son's girlfriend is a first year teacher. She was hired as special ed and had set up a classroom for herself and another spec ed teacher to do specials by pulling kids out of their regular classroom. 3 days before school began, she was told she would be teaching a 1st grade class for 3 hours in the AM and then 2 hours virtual. She had almost no time to prep.

That teacher came back last week and she has now been shifted to a 3rd grade class to cover a maternity leave either for 90 days or the rest of the year.

She leaves school everyday at 3 PM, goes to her parent's house to shower and wash her clothes before going home to their apartment to avoid possible transmission.
When my kids were babies I had to commute by train. I would change my clothes when I got home before holding them because I was worried about what nasty germs i got on the train. I miss those days, I didn't know what kind of germs were coming lol.

Old 10-29-2020, 01:19 PM

1,899 posts, read 1,401,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
4 year old girls play hockey?
Yes, they certainly do.

Old 10-29-2020, 01:59 PM

17,665 posts, read 9,155,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
the lack of empathy this person has for parents of young kids is a bit sad and surprising.
It's not a lack of empathy and you should know that. The issue is making a big deal about how important school and sports are. Not that those things aren't important, but the main motivation is clearly to be able to work at home in peace.

You've said that you need to entertain your kids all day long because you have a problem with saying no to them. That's something you can change. And if you're unwilling to do that, then you need to figure something else out. I suggested getting them a video game system. Not the best solution, but it would definitely keep them entertained. My comment was ignored.

Tons of people have young kids and they're managing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts