Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2021, 12:00 PM

1,899 posts, read 1,403,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
The anti-vaxxers don't want government intervention? Fine...we'll have private enterprise, who has a vested interest in packing their venues fully yet safely, lead the charge.
I'm not an antivaxer by any measure, however I understand why people don't want to give the government that type of control. Big tech would be even worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2021, 12:10 PM

23,561 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
I'm not an antivaxer by any measure, however I understand why people don't want to give the government that type of control. Big tech would be even worse.
But it's not government in that case, it's private enterprise. "My" restaurant. "My" stadium. "My" airline. "I" have that right to control my own destiny and set safety or other measures as I see fit, and for the well being of my staff and customers. I suppose you can make an argument for a grocery store in a small town that's the only one for miles, don't want to end up in a situation where essential goods/services are denied.

Old 04-18-2021, 12:13 PM

1,899 posts, read 1,403,596 times
The problem is that there is a high likelihood that private enterprise would resort to solutions provided by big tech to manage it.

Old 04-18-2021, 12:15 PM

6,125 posts, read 5,098,910 times
Quote:
People have been rebelling against mask mandates and public health measures under the guise of resisting "control." Universal vaccination is a surefire way out of this mess, so I don't see it that way unless we want to be in this hell for months or years to come. Do you consider public school systems requiring proof of childhood immunizations prior to enrollment a form of control also?

Old 04-18-2021, 12:16 PM

Quote:
The problem is that there is a high likelihood that private enterprise would resort to solutions provided by big tech to manage it.
You don't like big tech control? Start by getting rid of your mobile devices.

Old 04-18-2021, 12:20 PM

Quote:
That's a whole other issue in itself that needs addressing, but the private enterprise nevertheless retains that "right".

Old 04-18-2021, 12:22 PM

Quote:
You don't like big tech control? Start by getting rid of your mobile devices.
Their dominance goes way beyond personal mobile devices. It's gotten to the point where government intervention (or in some cases divestment from) is needed, as they have done with other utilities in the past.

Old 04-18-2021, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Their dominance goes way beyond personal mobile devices. It's gotten to the point where government intervention (or in some cases divestment from) is needed, as they have done with other utilities in the past.
I don't disagree...just trying to point out what I consider to be a hypocritical stance. We've already acquiesced "control" to big tech considering that they track our location, know about our friends/contacts, our money transfers and bill payments, and so on. Big tech knowing whether or not you have your COVID vaccine seems to be far less intrusive than the stuff I just listed.

Old 04-18-2021, 12:41 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,284,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
That's not at all an accurate way of describing what's going on. 580,000 Americans have already died from Covid-19. Deaths from vaccines - after nearly 200 million doses administered, have been less than 100 people. So if you have less than a 1-in-1,000,000 chance of dying from the vaccine, but you have greater than a 1-in-1,000 chance of dying from Covid-19, you're telling me the smart move is to take your chances with the pandemic and avoid the vaccine??? Moreover, those who refuse to get vaccinated, endanger not only themselves, they endanger their family, neighbors, co-workers, clients, etc.
And besides death, there is the risk of Long Covid which can greatly affect people who even had a mild initial case. My brother (who had a severe case) is now disabled.

Old 04-18-2021, 12:42 PM

Quote:
I don't disagree...just trying to point out what I consider to be a hypocritical stance. We've already acquiesced "control" to big tech considering that they track our location, know about our friends/contacts, our money transfers and bill payments, and so on. Big tech knowing whether or not you have your COVID vaccine seems to be far less intrusive than the stuff I just listed.
And I don't disagree to that part either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts