Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2023, 10:39 PM

17,748 posts, read 9,202,314 times

Advertisements

Title 42, a COVID-era halt on asylum applications, has ended. Here's what to expect
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2023, 01:21 AM

35,078 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Whether taken at face value or not, your argument lacks merit.

And it's misleading to say "100 million doses is 100 million doses" when those 100 million doses were first shots and didn't provide protection.

50 million people getting 2 shots is very different from 100 million people getting 1 shot.
Actually one does gave plenty of protection, though not optimal.

Old 05-12-2023, 07:34 AM

12,873 posts, read 22,040,579 times
Quote:

And it's misleading to say "100 million doses is 100 million doses" when those 100 million doses were first shots and didn't provide protection.

50 million people getting 2 shots is very different from 100 million people getting 1 shot.
This isn't even close to what I was saying which is why I said earlier that "you're fighting ghosts." You're arguing against points that literally nobody in this thread is making. The entire point of citing the 100 million doses was to illustrate that vaccine production ramped up in a big way by March of 2021. That's it. The increased vaccine production and successful administration of 100 million doses was a pretty clear sign that we were making real progress toward widespread protection against infection and serious illness. Not that we were already there and nobody has said we were.

Old 05-12-2023, 08:00 AM

3,398 posts, read 1,552,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Not always. Sometimes a certain saturation needs to be achieved to protect society. Smallpox and poliomyelitis are examples.

On another note, you are ideologically consistent. I am not. I am pro-vaccine, anti-lockdown and anti-mask. We will have to agree to disagree a lot of the time.
Ya I just want to add I believe enough people will volunteer for any vaccine look at how many wanted the COVID shot before it was mandated. Some believe polio was eradicated by better sanitation and not vaccines but I believe smallpox was successfully fought with vaccines. Even after people knew the COVID vaccine caused heart problems people still wanted to get it. People do what ever their doctor says.only a small percentage question recommendations. This is why vaccine mandates are not necessary.

Old 05-12-2023, 09:44 AM

6,138 posts, read 5,105,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post
Ya I just want to add I believe enough people will volunteer for any vaccine look at how many wanted the COVID shot before it was mandated. Some believe polio was eradicated by better sanitation and not vaccines but I believe smallpox was successfully fought with vaccines. Even after people knew the COVID vaccine caused heart problems people still wanted to get it. People do what ever their doctor says.only a small percentage question recommendations. This is why vaccine mandates are not necessary.
^"Some believe"--good thing that's not how we run medicine and public health, we'd still be in the dark ages.

Old 05-12-2023, 10:10 AM

9,100 posts, read 6,324,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Our biggest mistake was not shutting the borders earlier, and not quarantining those people returning from China.
I remember our former president wanted to do exactly that ^^^ in early 2020 but the media and other politicians accused him of prejudice and racism.

Old 05-12-2023, 10:14 AM

9,100 posts, read 6,324,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
That's what I always wondered.

Create fear and panic over what? Given that Covid is essentially all but forgotten at this point, what was the end game? What final result did the authorities use covid to take advantage of?
The authorities and elites gained knowledge in the form of insight into who will be perfectly obedient and who won't be obedient.

Old 05-12-2023, 11:09 AM

16,415 posts, read 8,215,049 times
Default re

[quote=AtkinsonDan;65273062]I remember our former president wanted to do exactly that ^^^ in early 2020 but the media and other politicians accused him of prejudice and racism.[/QUOTE

yep. Maybe it would have been ok if he closed the border to white people.

Old 05-12-2023, 12:02 PM

17,748 posts, read 9,202,314 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
This isn't even close to what I was saying which is why I said earlier that "you're fighting ghosts." You're arguing against points that literally nobody in this thread is making. The entire point of citing the 100 million doses was to illustrate that vaccine production ramped up in a big way by March of 2021. That's it. The increased vaccine production and successful administration of 100 million doses was a pretty clear sign that we were making real progress toward widespread protection against infection and serious illness. Not that we were already there and nobody has said we were.
I'm not fighting ghosts. It's a crucial point in this discussion - even if you don't want to acknowledge that. The fact is, despite 100 million doses, it was still in its infancy. Everything was rushed and, being first shots, there wasn't anywhere near enough information at the time. Heck, AstroZeneca was an option. It would have been insane to even consider discussing rolling back restrictions.

Old 05-12-2023, 12:28 PM

12,873 posts, read 22,040,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
I remember our former president wanted to do exactly that ^^^ in early 2020 but the media and other politicians accused him of prejudice and racism.
He wanted to stop travel from China which just as much a political move (sticking it to China in the trade war) as it was for the benefit of public health. He didn't have any interest in stopping travel from Europe and the vast majority of the deadly cases in the Eastern U.S. were traced back to Italy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts