Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2021, 06:35 PM

12,430 posts, read 9,529,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I don't recall people getting all bent out of shape when not everyone got a flu shot. Not sure why people expected everyone to get this vaccine.
I can assure you that I am not part of a conspiracy. Just a concerned person who'd like to see the nation do better and to see fewer of my countrymen die. An uncontrolled outbreak, a pandemic of rational thought could fix all this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2021, 07:03 PM

199 posts, read 67,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Our country is in decline and here is another symptom. We are not moving toward a totalitarian state just because one side doesn't agree with the other side. We used to pretty much agree on most things though. When the polio vaccine came out people could hardly wait to get it and no one spouted conspiracy theories.

But now, with the internet, anyone can influence people, anyone can hand out false information. I'm not even a big supporter of vaccines--I had the measles and chicken pox and it was no big deal. But this disease is not just measles or chicken pox--it's nothing to laugh or joke about. Certainly the vaccine makers are getting big money but it doesn't follow that the vaccine is fake or dangerous.
Vaccine opposition has been seen throughout history. Here's a paper describing what happened with smallpox in Boston in 1901.

Squads were sent out to forcibly vaccinate vagrants.

"A reporter for the Boston Globe accompanied a squad one night and described the scene: “Every imaginable threat from civil suits to cold-blooded murder when they got an opportunity to commit it, was made by the writhing, cursing, struggling tramps who were operated upon, and a lot of them had to be held down in their cots, one big policeman sitting on their legs, and another on their heads, while the third held the arms, bared for the doctors. One “fighting tramp,” who “went down in a heap on the floor” from the blow of a policeman's club, received both vaccination and suturing of his scalp."

It could be worse!

http://https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJM200102013440511#t=article

Old 08-23-2021, 10:23 PM

6,125 posts, read 5,098,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post
The mask is unhealthy and filled with bacteria. Not only that you are re breathing your own mouth bacteria. There is more bacteria in your mouth than your ass .

The mandates in these towns have been a disaster and they are having trouble enforcing them because so many come from towns with no mask mandates therefore they don't even bring masks with them..
I told the grocery store I had a medical condition and could not wear a mask. The manager screwed up and said I could not shop there. They don't have to let you in but have to provide accomodations like brining your groceries outside . I called later that day and that manager told me she screwed up and should have let me in without a mask. I read the actual mask mandate in my town and I always use the law to outsmart people .
You do realize you're not making any sense, right? Health care workers have successfully relied on masks since the beginning to prevent getting and spreading this virus. And not just this virus, all the other communicable diseases too. Your statements fly in the face of painfully obvious reality.

Old 08-24-2021, 02:14 AM

962 posts, read 469,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post
The mask is unhealthy and filled with bacteria. Not only that you are re breathing your own mouth bacteria. There is more bacteria in your mouth than your ass .

And yet for decades, millions of people have worn masks and respirators for extended periods every day as a requirement of their job without any problem.
All the nonsense about bacteria levels and carbon dioxide buildup is just fishing for a scientific-sounding reason to make an un-scientific decision.

Old 08-24-2021, 05:13 AM

3,398 posts, read 1,549,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
You do realize you're not making any sense, right? Health care workers have successfully relied on masks since the beginning to prevent getting and spreading this virus. And not just this virus, all the other communicable diseases too. Your statements fly in the face of painfully obvious reality.
Health care workers did not wear masks all day before covid. They wore them when doing surgery because the person they operated on had open wounds . Would you breath in your ass all day? Many doctors say there is no reason for regular people to Walk around with masks Al day especially if they are not sick.

Last edited by justyouraveragetenant; 08-24-2021 at 05:32 AM..

Old 08-24-2021, 05:37 AM

3,398 posts, read 1,549,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlurryCat View Post
And yet for decades, millions of people have worn masks and respirators for extended periods every day as a requirement of their job without any problem.
All the nonsense about bacteria levels and carbon dioxide buildup is just fishing for a scientific-sounding reason to make an un-scientific decision.
I believe people did not wear them all day and it might be a violation of OSHA. Do you remember being in science class and tested common surfaces and seen how much bacteria was on it. Even if you wash the masks in no time at all it accumulates bacteria

Old 08-24-2021, 07:21 AM

16,395 posts, read 8,198,277 times
Masks were worn by Asians on the train pre- covid. I rarely saw them worn by health care workers. Once in a blue moon. I come from family of nurses.

Old 08-24-2021, 07:32 AM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Masks were worn by Asians on the train pre- covid. I rarely saw them worn by health care workers. Once in a blue moon. I come from family of nurses.

I worked in healthcare for years outside Boston as a psychiatric RN.

We wore masks to give care if the person was on respiratory precautions, both to protect the person and ourselves. Standard.

Old 08-24-2021, 07:44 AM

16,395 posts, read 8,198,277 times
Yes I've heard of health care workers wearing them if someone was very immunocompromised. I don't think masks are a bad idea...just not sure it's necessary for healthy people to wear them to a place like canobie lake.

Old 08-24-2021, 07:45 AM

6,125 posts, read 5,098,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlurryCat View Post
Exactly. What took the cake was Louis "Doofus" Gohmert (R-TX), who seldom wore masks anyway, claiming he got Covid from his mask and rubbing it against his face.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts