Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2021, 11:03 AM

6,125 posts, read 5,098,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
...and back to Covid.

This weekend I've been a few public places:

gas station for inspection - I was the only one with a mask
Market Basket - 50/50 for mask wearing
florist - 7 of us in the shop, all masked
church - 50/50 for mask wearing
99 - only the staff in masks, I wore mine walking in and out and it was odd as I hadn't eaten inside a restaurant in 15 months.
  • Went to Stop & Shop yesterday--probably 80% masked (so I did too)...then again this was Lexington
  • Stopped by Union Square to pick up donuts today--mind you, pickup window that opens to the outdoors, no one can come inside the cafe--and everyone was 100% masked (outdoors!). I slipped mine on, out of peer pressure!

Heading to Market Basket this afternoon, I expect it'll be far less common
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2021, 01:10 PM

15,861 posts, read 21,441,250 times
This weekend was the first my boyfriend has been fully vaccinated, so we spent the entire weekend eating out and running errands.

- The Lobster Shack at Two Lights in Maine - no one, staff or customer, wearing masks
- local pub in Marlborough - staff had masks, most of them pulled down. Most people eating wore their masks in and out or to the bathroom, though it wasn't required
- Labaredas in Marlborough (amazing Brazilian restaurant and cocktail bar - worth the drive from wherever you are!) - staff only wore masks if they weren't 2 weeks out from their vaccine. We had our backs to the door, but were the only ones at the bar. We ended up having a really long conversation with the bartender, and then the owner came over to talk to us - but he was quick to clarify that it was safe that he wasn't wearing a mask.

- dim sum in Lowell - everyone pushing carts were masked and many still had face shields, hosts were 50/50, 80% of people walking in and out had masks.

- CVS - everyone masked
- Total Wine in Natick - 80% in masks, 100% of staff but some had them pulled under their noses

- Whole Foods in Sudbury - 100% masked

Given how many people are still wearing masks, myself included, it's hard not to think that those who don't wear masks are at a higher likelihood to have not vaccinated. No one in my social circle is ditching the masks yet, and we're all vaccinated.

Old 05-31-2021, 01:10 PM

15,796 posts, read 20,504,199 times
I’ve only visited two stores this weekend.

Dunkin’ Donuts. Half the staff had masks. No customers had theirs on. This was my first stop and o forgot the mask policy had been rescinded so I had mine on.

CVS to get my 2nd shot. Half the patrons and staff were wearing masks. Since I was there to actually get my vaccine, I kept the mask on because I obviously couldn’t claim to be fully vaccinated.

I’ll likely ditch it soon.

Btw, other than some minor aches like I went on a long hike the day before, 2nd shot of Pfizer was no big deal.

Old 05-31-2021, 01:13 PM

16,395 posts, read 8,187,139 times
Why still wear masks if you're fully vaccinated ?

Old 05-31-2021, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Yes, usually multiple jobs. Well in excess of 40 hrs combined. This is almost everyone the food bank I work with deliver to.

Thankfully, it doesn't matter what we "think". There is data collected on this. We know most people in poverty are eligible to work. We know most of those eligible to work do work full time or more than full time hours. There have been multiple economists that have studied this for years. The journal findings are quite robust.

That would make sense, since they tend to be better educated and understand research.

On the other side, right wingers do not care about research and data. They tend to cling to the long disproven Reagan era "welfare queen" trope.

A lot of this debate can be boiled down to "tell us you don't volunteer in your community without telling us you don't volunteer."

Old 05-31-2021, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Why still wear masks if you're fully vaccinated ?

Because vaccines don't work for everyone. I don't know if that person is that someone is checking me out at the grocery store because they have no other option to keep a roof over their head.

Old 05-31-2021, 01:26 PM

We never knew if masks were a sure thing either yet everyone had to wear them for over a year. Just seems interesting that now there's doubt about the vaccines working.

Old 05-31-2021, 01:33 PM

23,561 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
We never knew if masks were a sure thing either yet everyone had to wear them for over a year. Just seems interesting that now there's doubt about the vaccines working.
It's not that there's doubt, it's acknowledging that nothing is 100% and we all need to make a decision on how badly we want to put an end to Covid. Looks like Israel is proving it possible and they are at herd immunity, or very close to it (30 new cases for the most recent day?). We can do it to, but we have to want to.

Old 05-31-2021, 01:37 PM

Right nothing is 100%.

I guess wearing a mask is kind of like using a condom even you're on the pill...? Or maybe not.

Old 05-31-2021, 01:41 PM

23,561 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Right nothing is 100%.

I guess wearing a mask is kind of like using a condom even you're on the pill...? Or maybe not.
Probably the closest analogy I can think of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts