Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2020, 11:06 AM

83,540 posts, read 75,390,209 times

Advertisements

Loop past 4hrs... Sub 990mb Storm now off the RI/MA coast.

Sanford and Augusta changed over. Here we go.

Worcester, MA and Jaffrey, NH reporting 1/4 mile visibility now with heavy snow.
3-4" accumulated already in parts of MA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2020, 03:29 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,694,037 times
I mentioned this last winter, but some readers may be new. My Dish signal is gone due to very heavy wet snow stuck to the dish. I have the remedy. Take one of those powerful electric heaters like a giant hair dryer. Tape it to a plastic pipe and turn it on. Raise it up and point that 500 degree jet of hot air toward the dish. Poof! The snow melts instantly and you have your signal back. Do NOT point the very hot air at the little receiver head. It is plastic and you could damage it.

This works for directional radio antennas also. Just point it at the antenna rotor and when the ice thaws, you can rotate the antenna toward the station you want to reach.

Works on starter motors and other devices that stick in the winter. I had some water freeze in my hydraulic fluid on my tractor. The ice crystals were stopped at the inlet filter, but then threre was no fluid getting to the pump. I solved that by using the Harbor Freight heater and got my tractor hydraulics going again.

Old 12-05-2020, 03:38 PM

This is weather related:

I mentioned this last winter, but some readers may be new. My Dish signal is gone due to very heavy wet snow stuck to the dish. I have the remedy. Take one of those powerful electric heaters like a giant hair dryer. Tape it to a plastic pipe and turn it on. Raise it up and point that 500 degree jet of hot air toward the dish. Poof! The snow melts instantly and you have your signal back. Do NOT point the very hot air at the little receiver head. It is plastic and you could damage it.

This works for directional radio antennas also. Just point it at the antenna rotor and when the ice thaws, you can rotate the antenna toward the station you want to reach.

Works on starter motors and other devices that stick in the winter. I had some water freeze in my hydraulic fluid on my tractor. The ice crystals were stopped at the inlet filter, but then threre was no fluid getting to the pump. I solved that by using the Harbor Freight heater and got my tractor hydraulics going again.

Old 12-05-2020, 03:44 PM

37,474 posts, read 61,432,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post

On the next sunny day if you sprayed that dish with 'Rain-X' you would get a layer of wax on it that should repel rain and snow for the next six months. I have found that Rain-X works great on my solar panels.

Old 12-05-2020, 03:52 PM

Send some pics and updates guys. Would love to hear what you are seeing.

It was a 1008mb over NC to currently a 982mb storm off the MA coast. A 26mb drop in 14hrs

Bombogenesis NorEaster Snow Blizzard Dec 5, 2020

Old 12-05-2020, 09:45 PM

over 200,000 Mainers without power now.

Old 12-05-2020, 10:34 PM

It's a big main line "not at roadside". Power is out from Lincoln to Presque Isle. Hope it isn't 1998 all over again. That was 3 weeks for some people. I sure like my double arctic sleeping bag.

Old 12-06-2020, 04:07 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,549,405 times
I'm in northern Washington County. When I went out at 4:30 am the trucks had a coating of snow but the ground was bare. At 6 am the ground has 1/4". Power is still on in spite of the wicked wind.

Old 12-06-2020, 05:09 AM

They called the state plow trucks in because you can't see. It's 7 AM which is supposed to be after sunrise and you still can't see here on the Trans-Maine Trail. People either have sense enough not to go out or they are off the road. A main line is down and there is no road access to that location. Versant hopes to have power back by dark tonight.

With most schools attempting "distance learning", students have more to do today than sit in front of their screens. OK, everybody; Go check on your elderly neighbors. Many of them know what to do. They just can't do as much as they used to do.

By the way, cinnamon raisin bread makes the very best French toast.

Old 12-06-2020, 09:50 AM

I have to admit... the way you guys post is the reason I love coming here and reading. You mix weather with general stuff, love it. Sleeping bags, Rain-X, Wicked winds, Back hoe, Cinnamon raisin bread, cardinals, Rivers, ect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine