Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2017, 03:55 AM

83,540 posts, read 75,373,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
Last year everyone was complaining about the never ending drought we were all having caused by global warming. Probably now people are blaming all the rain on ---you guessed it---global warming.

I believe in climate change. The climate has been changing since the earth was created. After all, the drought of the 1930's dustbowl years is legendary, of course , its history, and no one seems to remember anything about history. The middle age warm period is much warmer than it is now. 5000 years ago the Sahara desert was a lush tropical forest.

Climate is always changing.
lol. Yup. Nice to see you aren't brainwashed like others. I like to joke and say, Climate changed saved California from that drought! lol. It's all about knowledge of weather and climate and it's like those guys pushing it need a history lesson. I still wish we can talk about weather and climate and extremes without bringing that up. The peeve of mine comes when they use it as the excuse why something happened. Record number of Hurricanes because of Global Warming. Record Low Tornadoes because of Climate Change. Biggest snowstorm in history because of Global Warming. Drought because of Climate Change. ect.

Current temps. 42 Portland. 40 Bangor. 20s in northern areas

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2017, 04:04 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,691,590 times
We had a hard frost here in the West Lee Frost Pocket. All the dandelion blossoms were killed as they tried to withdraw back into the ground. I took photos of the ATV seats, tractor seat truck hoods etc. It isn't just a few flecks of sparkling frost. It's a hard frost that takes washer fluid and persistent swipes of the wipers to clear the windshields.

Gorgeous crystal clear blue sky with no clouds though. It's a good morning to go flying as soon as the frost melts off the wings.

As they say up here, "Just gawjis".

Old 05-21-2017, 07:55 AM

6,928 posts, read 5,908,758 times
It's warmed up fast, 56 degrees and climbing.

Old 05-21-2017, 12:14 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,132,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post

As they say up here, "Just gawjis".
Yes---same in BH. But weather says rain now for the next 5 days. Won't be working on my boat this week.

Old 05-22-2017, 02:16 PM

565 posts, read 935,876 times
People like to group all climate change into one subject.

Yes the earth is always changing and always has been however there is irrefutable proof that humans have greatly accelerated this process.
It's comical when people only accept one of these things as the truth, even though both of them are true.

On a more serious note;
Black flies seem to be really bad lately, but the ticks have calmed down a bit.

Old 05-22-2017, 06:14 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,132,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthetrees View Post
Black flies seem to be really bad lately, but the ticks have calmed down a bit.
No black flies where I live YET, but three people I know recently got Lyme Disease from ticks.

Old 05-28-2017, 09:09 AM

Awesome display of northern lights last night around 10:30 PM. Check the net for space forecasts.

Old 05-28-2017, 02:14 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,908,758 times
72 degrees here; 52 in Rockland and 54 in Portsmouth.
This is the time of year when it's great to live in the County.

Old 05-29-2017, 06:38 AM

It's Memorial Day and we have 45 degrees right now at 8:30 AM. We had a couple of sunny days and the largest potato farmer in the area is planting potatoes this morning. Their equipment is huge. Soil temps are low, but if they don't get those spuds into the ground it will freeze before they get the crop harvested. The longest day of the year is three weeks away and then the days begin to get shorter and these few months of poor sledding will be over and we'll be back on our snowmobiles. We are guaranteed only 130 days a year of frost free weather.

When I was a kid we often went swimming before Memorial Day and for sure we would go swimming on Memorial Day, even if it was chilly. In the last two years we have had the coldest first quarter of the year ever in Maine and the most snow ever in the first quarter. The officials in the federal government would call this "anecdotal". Ask a farmer what the trends are.

Old 05-31-2017, 06:12 PM

749 posts, read 419,212 times
Here, in Aurora, ME, 58℉/14.4℃. Precipitation 50%. Wind South 7mph, Gusts 13mph..
There is a possibility of Thunderstorms...

What was once a babbling brook that softly spoke about it's journey between our woods and meadows, whispers...drawing one near to it's slowly rising depth...to gaze in appreciation!
Our new Engineer (young Beaver from the family upstream), learned well and Brookies, leap for their twilight supper, in this new environment reassuring us that one day (hopefully soon), we may cast our fly upon the water and seek some adventure!
The Spring Peeps (frogs), seeking adventure (and of course, a mate), sing a song of love.. and remind us that the notorious Black Flies have arrived and the necessity of Tea Tree Oil (and not wearing any perfume during this time of year outdoors), causes one to flinch..but only slightly...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine