Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2017, 02:44 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,133,526 times

Advertisements

What does the winter look like for 2017-2018?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2017, 01:27 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,694,037 times
According to the NWS, colder than normal due to the fact that the La Nina and El Nino cycle did not comply with their estimates. All the border states from Minnesota to Maine should have a colder than normal winter.

Old 08-06-2017, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
According to the NWS, colder than normal due to the fact that the La Nina and El Nino cycle did not comply with their estimates. All the border states from Minnesota to Maine should have a colder than normal winter.
What about snow on the coast? You guys up north always have snow, but I do like to get our usual 75 inches not a measly 35 inches. I loved the 155 inches we got a couple of years ago but I suspect that is a once every 25 year event, and so I won't live to see another one.

Old 08-06-2017, 02:46 PM

OK, so that slyfox2 doesn't miss the next big one, let's all pray that the Maine Coast gets dumped on this winter.

Old 08-06-2017, 03:13 PM

Quote:
OK, so that slyfox2 doesn't miss the next big one, let's all pray that the Maine Coast gets dumped on this winter.
I'm ready. Got asphalt on the driveway so it will be much easier to use the snowthrower than having to manhandle it through a driveway with ruts and water grooves. Both AWD vehicles have winter tires.

I accept your prayers.

Old 08-07-2017, 05:36 AM

I have not owned an automobile since around 1985, but I always knew what I would get if I ever bought another one. Last Friday, I bought a Subaru Forester. It's the most popular automobile model in Maine. I will, however, get a second set of wheels and tires for winter use. They will be real winter tires with studs. Most people will run "all season" tires and be fine with them. In Maine we need every advantage we can get. The most dangerous road condition we experience is slush. All season tires hydroplane in slush. Aggressive snow tires are far better than all season tires in slush.

Old 08-07-2017, 06:55 AM

Quote:
I have not owned an automobile since around 1985, but I always knew what I would get if I ever bought another one. Last Friday, I bought a Subaru Forester. It's the most popular automobile model in Maine. I will, however, get a second set of wheels and tires for winter use. They will be real winter tires with studs. Most people will run "all season" tires and be fine with them. In Maine we need every advantage we can get. The most dangerous road condition we experience is slush. All season tires hydroplane in slush. Aggressive snow tires are far better than all season tires in slush.
I suggest Nitto NT-2's. They are pretty aggressive and designed especially for slush. I also suggest you buy them from Tirebuyer.

Old 08-10-2017, 05:46 PM

749 posts, read 419,308 times
Here, in Aurora, ME, 72F Degrees, Dew Point 63F Degrees, Winds, NW 7MPH..

Mostly sunny with the sun slipping beyond the Blueberry Barrens, coloring the sky in pastel watercolors...
Saw our first tree turning color on our way home last week from the Bakery. Also, spied the same Birch Tree (in the Meadows), that turned yellow last year at this time (checked last year's post and noticed it was on August 14th)!
Spied a Rock Maple seedling in my new flowerbed and (from one of the five giants who've stood guard around our house and for at least 150 years), marked it for transplant...
It is appropriate...to plan for the future..even if it may be for someone else' future....May they tie a swing on her low limbs so a child (or an adult needing to feel like a child), will feel the wind under their body as they glide through the air and try to touch her lower branches...May they know Autumn's wonder and golden beauty while standing under her and be thankful for all the wonderful leaves that can be used for compost in the garden (not to mention the piles of leaves one can rake into a pile and run and jump into...or the ride on top of her leaves in the wheelbarrow and feel the final tilt into the pile of heaped leaves)! May they draw the drapes and wonder at the snow accumulated on her limbs and branches on a Winter morn...May they look out and glimpse a bluebird and hear it's song as he sings from a nearby branch, in Spring!
Oh! What wonders this little seedling will be when it grows-up! Such dreams we have for it! For I have already witnessed these things and know..hope!

Old 08-12-2017, 06:58 PM

749 posts, read 419,308 times
Here, in Aurora, Maine, 65F Degrees, Dew Point 59F, Winds, NNE 7 MPH...Clear and the gloaming has arrived.....

A gentle rain covered the Meadows today...the aroma of moist earth and the ending of a Season, arose from where I tread (and reminded me of my childhood in The Foothills of the Oregon Cascades)! You see, we are about a month ahead (in seasonal weather), of where I grew-up!
Memories of dress-patterns and material being purchased by my Mother (while shopping in Salem, Oregon), flood into my mind...Pins stuck into my skin as I tried to stand still while Mother adjusted the length of my dresses....Yes, we still ONLY wore dresses to school, then!
Underwear and socks were purchased from a Sears catalogue...My shoes from Buster Brown....Then, the school supplies...I can only remember a few crayola crayons...Long before the Big Box (where I discovered SPRING GREEN).
It was a time of preparation and it stirred our hearts (both children and parents), in hopeful anticipation of a new school year!
May fond memories come to your mind before you settle into the night...and may you dream and hope for a new tomorrow!

Old 08-13-2017, 04:34 PM

I heard on Maine Classical Radio this afternoon that the Weather Bureau is predicting 5 coastal snowstorms between December and March. Hoooray!!!! 100 inches of snow here we come!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine