Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2022, 11:06 PM

749 posts, read 419,212 times

Advertisements

Currently, here in Downeast, Maine, 47F Degrees, Dew Point 33F Degrees, Winds, ESE 3mph, Gusts 6mph, Clear, beautiful, and the peeps (our local frogs) singing!
Spied a Blue, Indigo Bunting across the Birch Meadows today...
and the female, Red-Winged, Blackbirds have arrived!
The Chickadees entertained as we spied a florescent, Wild Gold Finch and
his modest mate amongst our birdfeeder...
The Birch Meadows is abounding!
in it's growing lushness and aplenty
Black flies arrived and we kept them at bay with a proper...
fire and as it's smoke clung to our skin and hair!
they relented...
We walked upon a road well travelled!
amongst the blueberry barons...
and heard the song of the Bluebirds
before us!
It is a new Season...
I can't remember experiencing!
I've escaped the work matrix...
and am employed privately!
God is good..
and His loving kindness endures forever!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2022, 12:00 AM

Currently here, in Downeast, Maine 57F Degrees, Dewpoint, 52F Degrees, Winds NNE 6mph, Gusts 12mph....
We gathered around the firepit, today!
Smoke wafting around us as we sat...
remembering those who valiantly went before us
In service to our Country (and us)!!
Whose headstones and flags wavering...
Brought tears to our eyes in the remembrance of their sacrifice!
knowing full well...
it was so we could sit and enjoy this time...
of freedom with our family and friends!
Because of that, the memories are even sweeter...!
and our Liberty more precious to defend!
We stand as Generation of those
Awakened...
or asleep!
May we remember...
even in our dreams!
Those who spilled their blood for us...
so we could be free

Old 06-19-2022, 06:16 PM

Currently here, in Downeast, Maine..
47F Degrees, Dewpoint 46F Degrees, Winds NNW 6mph, Gusts 16mph...
Cloudy....
Cooked up a Cheese and mild picante Omelet, with Bacon this morning for Father's Day...
Followed by a pot of Northern Beans with Sliced Bacon (would have loved to have some Pork Chops diced to make it complete), and onions!
It was a very hardy meal and the cool weather made it even more enjoyable....
My husband is treasured for just who he is!
Strangers seek him and the Papa/Grandpa anointing
he walks in....
You too can be available for the Fatherless!
(though they are not yours by birth)...
So many Generations looking for guidance and love!
God Bless you, Fathers, today!
You are so essential to our community and society...
May you know the love of a grateful child/children (whether they are yours or not)...
If not (and your child or children are gone), may someone who knows you, remind you of how precious you are!
God Bless the Fathers of America!

Old 10-03-2022, 02:16 PM

Currently here, in Downeast, Maine..56F Degrees, Dewpoint 34F Degrees, Pressure falling 30.31, Winds North 2mph, Gusts 4mph, Sunny!

Awoke to the sound of liquid-gold running in our furnace (although it was set at 55F Degrees), this morning! I'm sure we're not the only ones dreading the refill of our oil tank), thankfully, it's still 3/4 full at this time)! Will turn down the heat to 50F Degrees, tonight as our fleece blankets have been laundered and ready for heaping on the bed. I'm not looking forward to the trip to the bathroom in the middle of the night (memories as a child of nearly leaving skin on the toilet seat, are still fresh)...and mind you, that was in Oregon, not Maine!
Not fortunate enough, yet, to have substitute wood heating!
Having to work additional hours (as I'm sure everyone else is - or an extra job), just to keep up (and recently injured my back and had to work through it, as a Caregiver)...
Grateful that I've been able to pick-up 48-60hr shifts, so I don't have to commute the two hours a day! But, I miss the warm of a loving husband beside me...
Taking jobs on the weekend as it pays more....
Still, it's leaf peeping season, the the commute to work is breath-takingly beautiful!
The Birch Meadows are at their best and golden leaves flutter by the window, as the trees sigh...
Charlie the Chipmonk was seen holding his ground against a Blue Jay!
under the birdfeeder...
and I once again had to grease the pole to keep him out!
A flock of Chick-a-Dees have moved in close by and their cheery little calls...
bring a smile!
The field mice are making their way into our house...
a little late in setting-up the catch and release into the bucket!
Grateful for electricity, running water, a roof over our heads, food, clothes, heat, gas in our tank and a Loving God who provides...
Holding on...as many are, to hope for better times!
Still enduring until we prevail...
Dire times for our Nation and Citizens!
Dire times for the rest of this world....
I've seen more clients, this year, slip off into hospice...
and its torn at my heart to see the tattered relationships!
left behind....
We're not guaranteed tomorrow!
Which I learned after my husband suffered seven strokes...
Before the doctors smartened-up and gave him blood-thinners!
Still....
No guarantees!

Old 10-03-2022, 02:22 PM

Where are all you Mainahs?
Please tell me I'm not the only one left on this thread!

Old 10-04-2022, 08:37 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,702,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NortheasternBound View Post
Currently here, in Downeast, Maine..56F Degrees, Dewpoint 34F Degrees, Pressure falling 30.31, Winds North 2mph, Gusts 4mph, Sunny!

Awoke to the sound of liquid-gold running in our furnace (although it was set at 55F Degrees), this morning! I'm sure we're not the only ones dreading the refill of our oil tank), thankfully, it's still 3/4 full at this time)! Will turn down the heat to 50F Degrees, tonight as our fleece blankets have been laundered and ready for heaping on the bed. I'm not looking forward to the trip to the bathroom in the middle of the night (memories as a child of nearly leaving skin on the toilet seat, are still fresh)...and mind you, that was in Oregon, not Maine!
Not fortunate enough, yet, to have substitute wood heating!
Having to work additional hours (as I'm sure everyone else is - or an extra job), just to keep up (and recently injured my back and had to work through it, as a Caregiver)...
Grateful that I've been able to pick-up 48-60hr shifts, so I don't have to commute the two hours a day! But, I miss the warm of a loving husband beside me...
Taking jobs on the weekend as it pays more....
Still, it's leaf peeping season, the the commute to work is breath-takingly beautiful!
The Birch Meadows are at their best and golden leaves flutter by the window, as the trees sigh...
Charlie the Chipmonk was seen holding his ground against a Blue Jay!
under the birdfeeder...
and I once again had to grease the pole to keep him out!
A flock of Chick-a-Dees have moved in close by and their cheery little calls...
bring a smile!
The field mice are making their way into our house...
a little late in setting-up the catch and release into the bucket!
Grateful for electricity, running water, a roof over our heads, food, clothes, heat, gas in our tank and a Loving God who provides...
Holding on...as many are, to hope for better times!
Still enduring until we prevail...
Dire times for our Nation and Citizens!
Dire times for the rest of this world....
I've seen more clients, this year, slip off into hospice...
and its torn at my heart to see the tattered relationships!
left behind....
We're not guaranteed tomorrow!
Which I learned after my husband suffered seven strokes...
Before the doctors smartened-up and gave him blood-thinners!
Still....
No guarantees!
Amen, to most of the above. Nicely written. Making me long for Maine. Can't get there permanently yet but hoping to. Probably the only place where I'd look forward to a long commute

Old 10-04-2022, 10:11 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,694,037 times
My friend, Lester Delano, has passed away. He was a waist gunner in B-25s in WWII in North Africa chasing Rommel back to Egypt. Lester was 102 years old. He said he was 102 1/2 going on 103. He dressed up and wore his best felt hat to go and vote. He drove to the supermarket to buy groceries at 102 years of age, but chose not to drive at night any more. Until recently, he fixed stuck windows and doors for elderly people at their homes. He was a builder all his life. His funeral will be on October 8. I expect there will be standing room only at church.

Read more: https://www.city-data.com/forum/maine...hread-318.html

Old 10-05-2022, 07:39 PM

3,933 posts, read 2,198,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NortheasternBound View Post
Where are all you Mainahs?
Please tell me I'm not the only one left on this thread!
You are not alone - some of us are just passing by quietly - smiling and sometimes tearing up - touched by the life’s mosaic somewhere far, far away in magic surroundings perfectly reflected in your poetic expressions, contemplative thoughts - the life force of love, beauty, yearning and gratitude on display!

Sending warm wishes and sunshine weather your way..

Old 10-05-2022, 08:13 PM

83,540 posts, read 75,390,209 times
Fall is here and winter is approaching. Time to check your stock of hot coco and books and start bringing that firewood in. I hope you guys stay warm and healthy next 6 months

Old 10-05-2022, 08:30 PM

37,474 posts, read 61,432,180 times
We have had a couple of hard frosts. A lot of my plants have died leaving a bunch of veggies on the ground.

Tonight I have our woodstove going for the first time this season. Our previous woodstove burned through it's sides so I reassembled it this summer with all new parts. The previous stove lasted 17 years, so I can not really complain. It served a long life of service.

Our driveway potholes have been gradually getting worse each year. This year I decided that I am going to stop hand shoveling dirt in the holes. Tomorrow I am expecting a load of gravel. I was shocked at how much gravel has gone up in price. This is over twice what I paid the last time I needed gravel. My next few days are going to be busy spreading gravel.

I hope it is not raining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine