Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 09:29 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,286,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Every Angeleno knows where you won't get a lemon.
lol! That's where I'm from. I'm pretty sure they wrote that jingle before I was born.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2013, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
Real SoCal dude: what freeway did use to get to LA from TX?

Me: I used I-10.

Real SoCal dude: the wha...? Oh the 10.

Me: yeah dude but the rest of the country calls it Interstate 10 aka I-10
Or I've experienced the reverse... some yahoo at a gas station came up to me and said, "Can you tell me how to get to I-405?" It took me a few seconds to figure out what he was talking about.

There are so many Californians here in Denver that it's understood that those of us who call the freeways "The 25, the 70, the 225..." etc., are from California. I just can't change my ways when I travel. Or when people in other parts of the country call freeways "highways/interstates/expressways"... it just sounds so weird to me.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Good one.

Yes! By far.

This rings true in the IE as well, everybody to the west is a snobby a-hole, and everyone in the High Desert is a meth-addicted hillbilly.

See.. that's the genius behind the code. No matter where you live, you think you're better than other people lol!

I had some dude at work (in Irvine) ask me how I could stand living so far inland where there's no beach and it's so hot. (he shared an apt. on Balboa with 5 other people). Like he just couldn't imagine the misery my life must be, living 7 miles from the beach lol! I told him I could ride my bike to Huntington Beach along the Santa Ana river and he still thought I was some inland idiot.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:40 AM

I thought of another one...

The smell of jasmine, salty air and smog together makes you feel at home.

Old 04-11-2013, 10:20 AM

13,827 posts, read 30,005,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
There are so many Californians here in Denver that it's understood that those of us who call the freeways "The 25, the 70, the 225..." etc., are from California. I just can't change my ways when I travel. Or when people in other parts of the country call freeways "highways/interstates/expressways"... it just sounds so weird to me.
I must be some sort of chameleon, because I dropped "the" and "freeway".

Quote:
See.. that's the genius behind the code. No matter where you live, you think you're better than other people lol!

I had some dude at work (in Irvine) ask me how I could stand living so far inland where there's no beach and it's so hot. (he shared an apt. on Balboa with 5 other people). Like he just couldn't imagine the misery my life must be, living 7 miles from the beach lol! I told him I could ride my bike to Huntington Beach along the Santa Ana river and he still thought I was some inland idiot.
For shame. Us Riverrats look at Orangers with blind hatred and envy, and think Balboans are close to deities...

Old 04-11-2013, 10:52 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,068,775 times
Quote:
lol! That's where I'm from. I'm pretty sure they wrote that jingle before I was born.
"We will beat anybody's price or your mattress is FREEEEEEE!!!"

"You are killing me, Larry!"

Old 04-11-2013, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Or I've experienced the reverse... some yahoo at a gas station came up to me and said, "Can you tell me how to get to I-405?" It took me a few seconds to figure out what he was talking about.

There is a 405 freeway in Seattle(it bypasses I-5 along the east side of Lake Washington).

Washingtonians call it "405" or "I-405".

Whenever I visit Seattle, I mark myself as being a southern Californian, because I say that I am taking the 405 to the 520 to the 5 to the 512 (Bothell to Puyallup(South Hill).

Alternatively, I could take the 405 to the 167 and get off on Meridian(and sit in traffic for an hour).

Old 04-11-2013, 11:11 AM

1,191 posts, read 1,589,609 times
You know you are a real Southern California if...

You can remember when we didn't have all of these unnecessary area codes. It was basically 213, 818, and 714. And that covered just about all of L.A. County, Orange County, and the Inland Empire.

Old 04-11-2013, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
You remember what you were doing during the Northridge quake (sleeping)
I was "sleepless in Seattle".

I have these premonitions, and tend to wake up when major events occur.

Similarly, I woke up 7 minutes before my niece was born.

She is getting her driver's license this year.

I feel old.

Old 04-11-2013, 11:13 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,905,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDude1 View Post
You know you are a real Southern California if...

You can remember when we didn't have all of these unnecessary area codes. It was basically 213, 818, and 714. And that covered just about all of L.A. County, Orange County, and the Inland Empire.

I think you meant 805, 213, and 714. 818 was split from 213 in the late 70s or early 80s or something like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles