Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 08:16 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times

Advertisements

You know who Jim Healy is

Jim Healy Tribute Site

http://www.johnspeedie.com/healy/campanis.wav
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2013, 01:24 PM

2,720 posts, read 5,625,585 times
The true Southern Californian to me is the really great laid back white dude. The near-hippie young guy who drives an old school VW van and sells me his awesome tonic juice at the farmers market while railing on to me about the system hassling him. That is bad a$$.

The other true SoCal is the Hispanic American, mostly the children of Mexican or El Salvadorans who walk, take the public transit and do ALL the things that transplants who repeat all the junk social stereotypes about Angelenos and what they supposedly NEVER DO (like walk).

Next is the Persian, Armenian or Jewish component which dominates the middle class.

Last, the annoying transplant that moved over here to land that creative gig or be a part of the industry and has yet to grow out of the stage from sophomore year of college where everyone else is a stupid person for not liking the latest trendy faux indie band, teeters between being a hipster and a scenester, and thinks he is the most creative person in the room. He will grow up to live in an uppity part of town, walk into a Whole Foods completely aloof and just gasp whenever you’re more than fifteen feet away but thinks you’re going to hit him with your car in the parking lot or thinks you’re in his or her way in an aisle at the store, when you're clearly not.

Welcome to LA.

Old 04-10-2013, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
The true Southern Californian to me is the really great laid back white dude. The near-hippie young guy who drives an old school VW van and sells me his awesome tonic juice at the farmers market while railing on to me about the system hassling him. That is bad a$$.

The other true SoCal is the Hispanic American, mostly the children of Mexican or El Salvadorans who walk, take the public transit and do ALL the things that transplants who repeat all the junk social stereotypes about Angelenos and what they supposedly NEVER DO (like walk).

Next is the Persian, Armenian or Jewish component which dominates the middle class.

Last, the annoying transplant that moved over here to land that creative gig or be a part of the industry and has yet to grow out of the stage from sophomore year of college where everyone else is a stupid person for not liking the latest trendy faux indie band, teeters between being a hipster and a scenester, and thinks he is the most creative person in the room. He will grow up to live in an uppity part of town, walk into a Whole Foods completely aloof and just gasp whenever you’re more than fifteen feet away but thinks you’re going to hit him with your car in the parking lot or thinks you’re in his or her way in an aisle at the store, when you're clearly not.

Welcome to LA.
I like it, especially the part about the annoying transplant with his yankee or red sox hat explaining how much better da westawunts ah back east.

Old 04-10-2013, 03:33 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,225,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
you know your a true southern Californian if you remember that orange trees grew in abundance along the five freeway in orange county.
Oh, I remember the wonderful aroma of those fabulous groves.
Also you remember when Knotts Berry farm was just that, a farm.
Bob.
Or if your white grandfather used to pick those oranges as a teenager, for extra money, like mine did!

Old 04-10-2013, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I like it, especially the annoying transplant with his yankee or red sox hat explaining how much better da westawunts ah back east.
lol! I worked with a married couple a few years ago who moved to Orange County from Boston for work. They were looking for a house and kept complaining that they wanted a Cape Cod style house that had no view of palm trees because they wanted it to feel like home

Old 04-10-2013, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
If you need a car or truck, go see Cal.
Or if every time you pick up the keys to your car, "Keys, Keys, Keys, Keys on Van Nuys" runs through your head.

Old 04-10-2013, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
You know your freeways as the Harbor Fwy, San Diego Fwy, Hollywood Fwy, Santa Monica Fwy, etc.
When you're out on a freeway and hear of a Sigalert in your way, you can quickly figure in your head how to take other freeways to avoid it.

When you want to move to another lane on a freeway, you don't turn on your signal, hoping someone will let you over. You look for an opening, then signal/move over at the same time.

When you're sitting at an on ramp meter, you look over at the car next to you and based on the power of that car, decide if you're going to go first, or conced the race to a more powerful vehicle.

You remember when the smog was so bad that your car would turn brown in summer.

You prefer AM PM over 7-11

You've ever talked someone into going somewhere with you just so you could use the carpool lanes

You understand the Coastal/Inland social hierarchy (anyone who lives closer to the coast than you is an a-hole, anyone who lives further inland than you is socially beneath you)

You really think everyone in the IE is a meth-addicted hillbilly

Your car payment is higher than your share of the rent on your apartment that you share with 6 other people

You had a conversation with Sean William Scott while standing in line to return something at the Sport Chalet at South Coast Plaza and kept wondering where you knew that dude from for the next few hours (ok, maybe that's just me)

Old 04-10-2013, 05:34 PM

296 posts, read 625,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
This list applies more if you're a southern Californian born before 1963.
I was gonna say - I don't want to date myself, but some of the posts predate my recollection of LA.

Old 04-10-2013, 05:54 PM

2,019 posts, read 3,194,333 times
Disneyland for grad night.

The day Magic Mountain opened.

Going to middle school with Kurt Russell's sisters (Kurt was 5 years ahead at Thousand Oaks High School when he wasn't being tutored on location).

Going to middle school with Ann-Margaret's stepdaughter.

Zuma Beach on a Friday night

Migrant workers picking strawberries along the fields off the Ventura Freeway in Oxnard/Camarillo.

Watching the filming of Gunsmoke in Thousand Oaks.

Sheep herders and their sheep in Thousand Oaks.

Lots and lots of orange and lemon groves.

Practiced shooting cans below the Ronald Reagan Library (nothing but barren land back then).

Cruising Van Nuys Blvd.

Streaking in high school and junior college (not me).

Frying in baby oil on the beach ... who could get the darkest tan in high school.

Last edited by smpliving; 04-10-2013 at 06:14 PM..

Old 04-10-2013, 05:58 PM

You remember jellyfish at the beach (I haven't seen one in like 20 years, what happened to them all?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles