Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 03:39 AM

Location: Los Angeles, which as I understand was once upon a time ago part of the United States of America
849 posts, read 1,045,739 times

Advertisements

I've never lived outside of Southern CA -- so then, I'm curious as to how people in the rest of the U.S. generally differ in behavior from those who live here; in particular, in which ways have people experienced "culture shock" when first moving here from elsewhere in the U.S.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2007, 04:59 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,734,875 times
These are two completely different inquiries:

1) How non Southern Californians' behavior differs from Southern Californians' behavior, and

2) How non Southern Californians experience culture shock from moving to Southern California.

Old 12-13-2007, 05:09 AM

413 posts, read 1,845,459 times
Well, I notice that people in SoCal seem to feel more "free" I guess is what I'd call it. They wear whatever they want etc etc. Here in the midwest if you were to wear some of the stuff I seen out there you would be harassed and glared at. In SoCal the people may seem more stuck-up like they dont care about you, and that's probably true, but here in hickville usa people are all in your business cuz there's nothing else to do or see here. So you get no privacy really or any freedom to look the way you want to. Very conservative here, very liberal in SoCal (even though I think Cali is a R state?).

In general the behaviors are more laid back opposed to my area. I'm only speaking for the area I live in though.

Old 12-13-2007, 02:08 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,889,137 times
I've traveled to maybe, 30-35 states, haven't lived anywhere else, but there's some big differences between life in so cal and the rest of the country...

-Health wise, people are very fit out here, generally speaking. Organic food, low cal, diets. Compared to going to a Cracker Barrell or restaurant in the midwest or south. You forget about people smoking when you live in so cal, since there's no smoking in restaurants, indoor areas.

-I was shocked coming back from the north east to so cal. Compare life in Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine with landing at LAX, it's like two different worlds. I dont think I saw one low rider in any of those states, no music blasting from cars. No cell phones, or very few.

-Most states are very conservative vs so cal or cal in general. Alot of things wouldn't fly elsewhere (dress, piercings, people are definitely "free" here).

-You forget about alot of hobbies and things people do elsewhere. Hiking, bike riding, things people dont have time for here.

Old 12-13-2007, 04:14 PM

909 posts, read 3,362,876 times
Well, I tend to think of Southern Cal as the "place to play," as it were. If you're young, single, or don't have kids, have some expendable income, and love being outdoors, this is the place for you. There are beautiful national parks, major amusement parks, the weather is pretty great year round. It's just a big playground.

I do agree with pp that some of the things I see here (dress, in particular) wouldn't fly in other places.

Old 12-13-2007, 04:17 PM

Location: Los Angeles, which as I understand was once upon a time ago part of the United States of America
849 posts, read 1,045,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
These are two completely different inquiries:

1) How non Southern Californians' behavior differs from Southern Californians' behavior, and

2) How non Southern Californians experience culture shock from moving to Southern California.
Yes. Can you pick one and answer it?

Old 12-13-2007, 06:57 PM

392 posts, read 1,858,531 times
Here are the things I noticed that seemed different from the Midwest and the East when I moved here.
*This area seems more environmentally conscious in certain ways. Or maybe just more informed? On the other hand I regularly see businesses or homes in SoCal that have A/C or heat on and the doors and windows open
*There is little or no "road rage" here. I don't care what they say it is not the same. In SoCal when you honk at someone everyone turns to glare at you, not the person that did something stupid. Honking, yelling, throwing things and worse go on regularly back there. We always just considered it an education system for those that did not know how to drive. I do think people were generally better drivers, if only because they feared others reactions.
I never saw the things I do here; people turning across several lanes of traffic, backing up down the freeway cause they missed an exit or just stopping in the middle of a major road to decide what way they want to go next.
*Sarcasm can be lost on Californians. People from NYC and Boston seem to live and breath it.
*A lot of Californians seem very laid back to me. They take things as they come don't worry and plan for the future so much. Up north we always seemed to planning for something. I read an excellent article one time that theorized that the because California had great weather and the natural disaster was earthquakes, which couldn't be predicted, they didn't bother to plan. In places where there is snow storms and winter we were always planning our lives around poor weather.
*Finally I never met a person that admitted being lazy before I moved out here. I'm not saying I didn't know lazy people, just that no one would own up to the fact that they were. When I came out here I met all sorts of people that seemed to take saying they were lazy like it was something to be proud of....I still haven't figured that one out

Old 12-13-2007, 08:49 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,166,855 times
The things I noticed when I moved here:

1. Most people had last names that didn't end in "haus" or "ski" or "ach." Many people were something other than European and white.

2. Lots of people spoke languages other than English.

3. People here had a lot of money. I never knew anyone who had a Rolls Royce until I moved here. Common people drove Jaguars, wore Rolex watches and lived in Beverly Hills.

4. You could look anyway you wanted. I agree with everybody who posted above that styles of dress, etc., would elicit a hostile response in most other areas.

5. Everyone didn't belong to the same club. Where I grew up, everybody belonged to something or another -- like Rotary Club or Junior League.

6. High speed elevators make your heart jump into your throat. (Our tallest building back home was something like 4 stories tall. I rode the elevator to the 50th floor of one building on a job interview and decided, right in the elevator, I didn't want the job. The elevator scared me! Prior to that, the tallest building I remember being in was about 20 stories tall.)

7. Freeway traffic sucks. There is such a thing as being GU (geographically undesireable) around here.

8. California wine is cheap in California.

9. I'd rather live in an area with hurricanes than in one with earthquakes because you can leave before a hurricane hits. On the flip side, I hate humidity -- so maybe I'd rather live with the earthquakes.

10. Celebrity is cheap in LA. You would never catch 500 girls/women trying to meet Bo Donaldson and the Heywoods in Los Angeles. There are sooooo many better people to meet here.

11. In LA, you can really be somebody -- and nobody is going to care.

12. People here actually wear "Dry Clean Only" clothes. And they own umbrellas too.

13. You hardly ever run into anyone you know on the street or at the mall or at the movies or anywhere else.

14. There are so many shopping malls here, it's no big deal to make a trip to the mall. Not only that, there are so many malls around here, you'd be lucky if you saw every one of them in a lifetime.

Old 12-13-2007, 11:50 PM

33 posts, read 123,814 times
I lived in LA for 11 years came from the east coast and moved north.
The people in LA are generous and accepting
There are so many places to go and groups. Whatever your hobby, you'll be able to see the best in that field.
A lot of people are comfortable with their bodies at the beach. You go and enjoy yourself and never compare suit designers or big boobs.
It's like there's an agreement that petty issues get left aside when you're going someplace to relax and party.
There seems to be an organic and historically longstanding PC style of communicating. People want to get on with their day and meet up with friends. It just takes too much effort to conceive of some hate group or mean things to say when you could be shopping at TJs Whole Foods or trying real Italian coffee and a chocolate cannoli! Not to mention sushi!

Old 12-14-2007, 09:50 AM

1,720 posts, read 6,726,251 times
Wow, everyone is painting Southern California to be some utopia.

A lot of things I find to not be true, but that's just me.

I've generally been happy about my experiences outside of Los Angeles.
Las Cruces, NM
Washington D.C.
Phoenix-Tucson, AZ
St George, UT
West Virginia

Aside from D.C., everywhere I went I didn't feel rushed and like people cared enough to take time to help you.
I think what jades my opinion is that I live in a very heavy populated hispanic area(overall valley) and deal and see 80% hispanics throughout my day. Dealing with their culture and their ways where they don't do things as I see normal, really irritates me.
Maybe if I lived elsewhere I would feel a bit different, but I'm willing to bet my overall perception of So.Cal would remain the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles