Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 12:30 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,033,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
When you're out on a freeway and hear of a Sigalert in your way, you can quickly figure in your head how to take other freeways to avoid it.
Or sidestreets
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2013, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
When you're out on a freeway and hear of a Sigalert in your way, you can quickly figure in your head how to take other freeways to avoid it.

When you want to move to another lane on a freeway, you don't turn on your signal, hoping someone will let you over. You look for an opening, then signal/move over at the same time.

When you're sitting at an on ramp meter, you look over at the car next to you and based on the power of that car, decide if you're going to go first, or conced the race to a more powerful vehicle.

You remember when the smog was so bad that your car would turn brown in summer.

You prefer AM PM over 7-11

You've ever talked someone into going somewhere with you just so you could use the carpool lanes

You understand the Coastal/Inland social hierarchy (anyone who lives closer to the coast than you is an a-hole, anyone who lives further inland than you is socially beneath you)

You really think everyone in the IE is a meth-addicted hillbilly

Your car payment is higher than your share of the rent on your apartment that you share with 6 other people

Yes, Harrier owns and used to drive a car.

I was LOL'ing through your entire post.

Old 04-11-2013, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iagal View Post
Migrant workers picking strawberries along the fields off the Ventura Freeway in Oxnard/Camarillo.
Just a few years a go, they were doing this just south of Disneyland and across from the Anaheim Convention Center.

Maybe they still do.

I haven't been down in that area for a while.

There was(or is) another strawberry field along the 605 somewhere between Pico Rivera and Irwindale.

I seem to recall a few down near Irvine.

Old 04-11-2013, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
You remember jellyfish at the beach (I haven't seen one in like 20 years, what happened to them all?)
Maybe they caught the same disease as did the bees.

Old 04-11-2013, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
You overcompensate for weather. It's one of those five days per year when the high temperature isn't above 60F so you see all these women in big heavy boots, long down coats, mittens, wool hats, and gloves. People turn their furnace to 80F and make big kettles of hot soup.
Menudo or pozole?

Old 04-11-2013, 01:19 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,248,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
"We will beat anybody's price or your mattress is FREEEEEEE!!!"

"You are killing me, Larry!"
lol! What about Crazy Gideon? I don't think he's still around.

I moved to Denver 7 years ago and like it here, but still miss CA. Luckily I get KTLA on satellite so I can get my fix of good weather and LA commercials every now and then.

Old 04-11-2013, 01:25 PM

Quote:
There is a 405 freeway in Seattle(it bypasses I-5 along the east side of Lake Washington).

Washingtonians call it "405" or "I-405".

Whenever I visit Seattle, I mark myself as being a southern Californian, because I say that I am taking the 405 to the 520 to the 5 to the 512 (Bothell to Puyallup(South Hill).

Alternatively, I could take the 405 to the 167 and get off on Meridian(and sit in traffic for an hour).
I noticed that in Seattle and didn't know that existed... bypass freeways (interstates) with the same number as other cities. But when I drove through the 405/5 interchange, I felt like I should be in Irvine!

Old 04-11-2013, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Hah - I have tape broadcasts of KFI, KABC, and "KICK" FM (I think that they were on the same frequency as KJACK - "playing what we want", but they were a country station).

I can't find my tape players - they are around but I don't use them anymore.

When I know that I can talk to an 18 year old who will ask me "what is audio tape", I must be getting old.

Either that or the world has changed way too fast.
I remember when KROQ had Richard Blade as a DJ and was actually a cool station. And whatever happened to "Pirate Radio"?

Old 04-11-2013, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDude1 View Post
I think you outrank me in SoCal seniority, Charles.
I was 714 in college, when I lived in Redlands for a couple years. I was still in 714 (city of Orange) when I left CA a few years ago and was happy to still have one of the old area codes. At some point I gave up on trying to remember all the new numbers.

Old 04-11-2013, 01:31 PM

Quote:
You forgot riding a bike.

I am a white man and I do all those things - or did - before my bike was stolen.

Thank goodness for bike racks on buses.

If you see a white guy walking around or getting on a bus, it might be Harrier.
When I see a white guy on a bike, I assume he had a DUI
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles