Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2022, 02:45 PM

1,465 posts, read 758,507 times

Advertisements

Well I took the plunge and am in the process of converting. My oil tank can only last so long (as in its very old on top of a 25 year old burner on top of a water tank that gave out last year and was replaced) and to replace the tank is 2950 and to refill a 275 gallon tank is is 1400 ish give or take. For 4K more I got the conversion permits chimney liner and tank removed. With a brand new system.

No more service contracts and oil deliveries for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2022, 02:56 PM

450 posts, read 386,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94nasupra View Post
Well I took the plunge and am in the process of converting. My oil tank can only last so long (as in its very old on top of a 25 year old burner on top of a water tank that gave out last year and was replaced) and to replace the tank is 2950 and to refill a 275 gallon tank is is 1400 ish give or take. For 4K more I got the conversion permits chimney liner and tank removed. With a brand new system.

Converted to gas? Lucky of you to have gas nearby. They quoted me $10k only to extend the line to my house.

Old 11-16-2022, 07:58 AM

732 posts, read 883,381 times
Quote:

I got 4 quotes for tank replacement and the lowest was $3200.
3 quotes for conversion and it ranged from 12k to 16k

Couldn't decide what to take... My boiler is 8 years old but tank is probably 35+.
Probably go for quotes again in the spring when prices are lower and may go with gas.

Refilled the tank at $4.48 a gallon after the missile in Poland. Oil has been dropping slowly but this may be a good excuse to increase the price.

Who did you go with with the conversion?

Old 11-16-2022, 10:38 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,406,736 times
Quote:

You won't regret it, and will recoup the expense in a few years. Gas is more efficient, and cheaper to use than filthy expensive oil. Enjoy!

Old 11-16-2022, 12:49 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,769,880 times
Quote:

Smartest move you ever made! Every day I'm so thankful I did!

Old 11-17-2022, 06:17 AM

4,197 posts, read 4,082,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubering View Post
Refilled the tank at $4.48 a gallon after the missile in Poland. Oil has been dropping slowly but this may be a good excuse to increase the price.
$4.48 a gallon this week? Newsday just had a story that heating oil is above $6 a gallon. Care to share who is selling oil for $4.48?

https://www.newsday.com/long-island/...-grid-ytkdrmqw

Old 11-17-2022, 07:15 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,328,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
$4.48 a gallon this week? Newsday just had a story that heating oil is above $6 a gallon. Care to share who is selling oil for $4.48?

https://www.newsday.com/long-island/...-grid-ytkdrmqw
It’s not over 6 unless you buy small amounts. I don’t have oil, just showed a friend who bought a house w/ oil cod fuel. 200 gallons was a shade under $4.88 with jmb

Old 11-17-2022, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
It’s not over 6 unless you buy small amounts. I don’t have oil, just showed a friend who bought a house w/ oil cod fuel. 200 gallons was a shade under $4.88 with jmb

They are now listing 200+ at 4.78 with cash discount and 4.83 with card.
Still better with card if you have 2% cash back from your credit card, which makes it 4.73/gal

Is JMB reliable?

Slomin is quoting $5.09 for contract, or if you don't need the boiler service, it's $4.59/gal and $189 extra for service, which is still better than $5.09 since 189 is only 40gal difference, I really should have signed at $3.99 last month.
What are the contract rates everyone seeing these days?

Old 11-17-2022, 09:32 AM

4,197 posts, read 4,082,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
Small amounts? Who buys 20 gallons at a time? NYS reports the average price on Long Island is about $6 give or take a few cents. COD prices seem to be about $5 for 100 gallons but if you have a service contract with an oil company you won’t be buying COD fuel. Who wants to be bothered trying to find a repairman in the middle of the night when it’s zero degrees and your furnace isn’t working?

https://www.nyserda.ny.gov/Researche...ata-HeatingOil

Old 11-17-2022, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
Small amounts? Who buys 20 gallons at a time? NYS reports the average price on Long Island is about $6 give or take a few cents. COD prices seem to be about $5 for 100 gallons but if you have a service contract with an oil company you won’t be buying COD fuel. Who wants to be bothered trying to find a repairman in the middle of the night when it’s zero degrees and your furnace isn’t working?

https://www.nyserda.ny.gov/Researche...ata-HeatingOil
Most of these companies also advertise 24hr emergency service, do you mean that covers only the customers and they won't come out even if you pay them.

Also, make sure to have at least 2 space heaters, even if you have contract, there is no guarantee you can have the parts/tools for emergency repair. I got one space heater but planning to get one more. I got solar panels, might as well put them to work while we still have sun.

20 gallons? I think he probably meant under 100gal, truck probably wont drive out for 20 gallons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island