Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2022, 11:02 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,411,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Because heat pumps aren't optimal at lower temperatures, even the newer models. I'll take my $300/month oil bill over my neighbor's $600/month electric bill when his heat pump is cranking.
You only burn 75 gallons a month in winter? Do you live in a shoe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2022, 12:15 PM

45,450 posts, read 60,653,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
You only burn 75 gallons a month in winter? Do you live in a shoe?
No, between two and three gallons a day. Newer unit with the baseboard piping on damned near every wall instead of only the exterior. Things were overengineered a bit when they were installed back in the 50s.

So, doing quick math, call it (at today's $5.50 a gallon) about $15/day. That bumps the monthly up to $450.

Old 11-23-2022, 02:00 PM

2,687 posts, read 2,333,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailgunner_ed View Post
Hi, the thread is strictly about heating oil prices, there were few posts about conversion to gas (where available) and few comments on heat pumps/utilizing electric.
Feel free to start a new thread on these and give examples and hopefully it gets enough attention to make a difference, but conversion is never cheap and for some people the return of investment needs to be a reasonable period to make a difference.

Gas is not much cheaper lately either, but equipment might be more efficient, just might be. After 20+ years on Gas heat with radiators, I must say I was surprised how quickly oil heats the house. Maybe it's the way my boiler is setup but it's almost instant.

With fuel pumps, that's forced air? Or fuel pump to heat the hot water tank and circulate through baseboards? I will eventually add electric water tank but I am not sure the electric will be enough or efficient to heat the whole house.
Or are you referring to geothermal?
Gas is still way cheaper. 100 gallons of oil $460, 150’ therms of gas (same btu as 100 gallons of oil) $320 that doesn’t factor in that gas furnaces are more efficient and the more gas you use the lower the price per therm.

I stand by this, electric sucks and I would rather have oil, the ROI on changing won’t help fast enough for it to make fiscal sense.

Old 11-23-2022, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
No, between two and three gallons a day. Newer unit with the baseboard piping on damned near every wall instead of only the exterior. Things were overengineered a bit when they were installed back in the 50s.

So, doing quick math, call it (at today's $5.50 a gallon) about $15/day. That bumps the monthly up to $450.
My Oil bill in my 2700 sq ft house with these current prices would be $1100 a month in Jan,Feb, and maybe March. Gas??? $275 a month. Brand new 20 seer HP? $500 a month...And that's with LI EL prices. SO OIL BLOWS!!!!!!! At this rate, ANYONE with OIL should be investing IN a 20 SEER HP/CAC. F OIL!!!! Its highway robbery, filthy disgusting and smells horrible.

Old 11-23-2022, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
Gas is still way cheaper. 100 gallons of oil $460, 150’ therms of gas (same btu as 100 gallons of oil) $320 that doesn’t factor in that gas furnaces are more efficient and the more gas you use the lower the price per therm.

I stand by this, electric sucks and I would rather have oil, the ROI on changing won’t help fast enough for it to make fiscal sense.
Gas is a third of what oil costs to heat the same house. Don't hate on current Heatpumps. They still heat cheaper than oil, even on LI. They heat down to 0 degrees these days.

Old 11-23-2022, 04:41 PM

450 posts, read 387,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94nasupra View Post
I always used slomins to leverage a better price at the company I was using. They seemed to always have the best prices. 4.49 is very fair when you look at cod prices honestly.

I never used them because they needed to send someone out to look at my system before the contract and I never had the time to make the appt. That’s the only reason I didn’t use them. I think they covered more parts for their contract also.

My 2.89 contract price expired in July. I made out last year and recouped a few years of being locked in and paying extra.

They said they only do Eco-Pak service not Big service.
Crazy how non of this is listed on their website:
It says 24/7/365 parts and labor on repairs and replacement of equipment for purpsoes of heating Main Zone circulator and thermostat, oil burner, primary relay, line filter, aquastats, limit controls, blower motor assembly, gauge glass, hand feed valve, low water cut off pop safety flo-valve, zone valve, smoke pipe, barometric draft regulator, system check up and covarge for main zone only
The big Service adds Boiler/Furnace I believe.

Old 11-23-2022, 04:43 PM

Quote:
They said they only do Econo-Pak service not Big-Pak service.
Crazy how non of this is listed on their website, do other companies cover the stuff listed in the Big-Pak?

More than likely not anymore. Do you have the option for converting to gas? If so, suck it up, it will pay for itself in maybe 5 years time, with none of the oil BS.

Old 11-23-2022, 04:46 PM

450 posts, read 387,265 times
Quote:
My Oil bill in my 2700 sq ft house with these current prices would be $1100 a month in Jan,Feb, and maybe March. Gas??? $275 a month. Brand new 20 seer HP? $500 a month...And that's with LI EL prices. SO OIL BLOWS!!!!!!! At this rate, ANYONE with OIL should be investing IN a 20 SEER HP/CAC. F OIL!!!! Its highway robbery, filthy disgusting and smells horrible.

Wait, you are heating 2700sqft house with forced hot air central A/C using 20 SEER HP?

Quote:
For comparison sake, here’s the average costs you can expect to pay for various sized central AC units with a 20 SEER rating:

2 ton (24,000 BTU): $4,100
3 ton (36,000 BTU): $4,800
4 ton (48,000 BTU): $5,500
5 ton (60,000 BTU): $6,200
I never smell oil, but I agree some houses it smelled terrible in their basements. I don't have that smell at all, not in my burner area, not in my garage where the tank is located.

Old 11-23-2022, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Wait, you are heating 2700sqft house with forced hot air central A/C using 20 SEER HP?

I never smell oil, but I agree some houses it smelled terrible in their basements. I don't have that smell at all, not in my burner area, not in my garage where the tank is located.
I can if needed. I have 20seer cac/hp and modcon boiler using gas.

Old 11-23-2022, 07:55 PM

2,687 posts, read 2,333,614 times
Quote:
Gas is a third of what oil costs to heat the same house. Don't hate on current Heatpumps. They still heat cheaper than oil, even on LI. They heat down to 0 degrees these days.
I get that heat pumps have come a long way. They are still incredibly expensive compared to a gas or oil boiler/furnace. Most homes need electric work that adds to the price. They need to be within a few hundred of a equal gas/oil product to go main stream. $1k a month for oil...geez. My home is larger than yours, based off last years nov/dec bills I will pay $1086 for this entire year. I have gas hw(tankless), gas range and 2 zone forced air (condensing 95%). Back to electric I think new builds they could become more common but retrofit is going to be years and years before the are common.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island