Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2022, 07:57 PM

20 posts, read 22,120 times

Advertisements

1700 sqft home

used 1100 gallons @ 69F - 1 zone a season before insulating home.
now 350 gallons @ 73F - 4 zones after properly insulating home. was time consuming but worth it i guess. i suspect oil and gas prices to only go up from here.

only one downside - other than the time i put in... before i used to sleep with a hat on due to draft from everywhere... now opposite problem. by the time the thermostat turns off, the radiators still radiate heat and temp goes up to 77F (oil boiler stops at 145F) even if thermostat is set to 73. then i have to open the windows in some not too close yet not too far area so it drops a bit. i had a heat rash twice already.

the problem is even worse on the second floor where if I leave the doors open, thermostat up their could be off and it'll still be 70F when its 25 outside. it never occured to me that I dont need heating on second floor whatsoever, and to make it even worse, there is abotu r30 (sealed) between each floor as well. all the heat goes up the staircase. feels like a nuclear plant in it sometimes. then i read up on something called stack effect.. yikes. when you solve one problem, another shows up. it never ends, and im growing old by the day. no more energy for this sort of stuff.

back when oil was 1.08, i could fill up for cheaper even at 1000+ gallons than I do for 350 now. what a joke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2022, 01:11 PM

730 posts, read 1,657,837 times
Slomins is offering a Black Friday deal.

3.99 per gallon - one year cap and $189 annual service plan.

Anyone here take advantage of this offer?

Seems too good to be true.

Any thoughts?

Old 11-26-2022, 10:07 AM

37,148 posts, read 39,394,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Because heat pumps aren't optimal at lower temperatures, even the newer models. I'll take my $300/month oil bill over my neighbor's $600/month electric bill when his heat pump is cranking.
Depends on the heat pump and what you mean by lower temperatures. You get one that's meant for lower temperatures and they still provide efficient heating down to around -20F which is very, very rare on Long Island. Long Island's actually in a very good temperature band for modern heat pumps because it doesn't get even below 0F most of the time when you want heating and summers often do get hot enough that having the heat pump run as an air conditioner in the summer is worthwhile.

Your neighbor's apparently been taken for a ride if you have equivalent homes and that's how much they're paying for their electric bill. That *is* something that I've heard of happening in the past where less scrupulous salespeople have sold heat pumps that weren't rated for colder weather and what happens instead is that they're combined with electric resistance heating which is actually quite expensive and so when it gets colder and you really want that heat, what it does instead is pretty much use just resistance heating.

Old 11-26-2022, 10:36 AM

450 posts, read 386,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peabodyn View Post
Slomins is offering a Black Friday deal.

3.99 per gallon - one year cap and $189 annual service plan.

Anyone here take advantage of this offer?

Seems too good to be true.

Any thoughts?
Signed up yesterday, I got the same offer.

Old 11-26-2022, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tailgunner_ed View Post
Signed up yesterday, I got the same offer.
Say you need 300/400 gallons. Do they just fill it up for 3.99 then? Oil tank is outside. Don’t really need anyone coming inside.

Old 11-26-2022, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgobrandon84 View Post
Say you need 300/400 gallons. Do they just fill it up for 3.99 then? Oil tank is outside. Don’t really need anyone coming inside.

Not sure what you mean. They don't come inside unless you need service or tune up for the boiler.
They are supposed to fill it every time they come, and after 2-3 times they get an idea how much you use.

Old 11-26-2022, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Not sure what you mean. They don't come inside unless you need service or tune up for the boiler.
They are supposed to fill it every time they come, and after 2-3 times they get an idea how much you use.
I just need them to come once every year or two. Codfuel prices are 4.38

Old 11-26-2022, 11:08 AM

Quote:
I just need them to come once every year or two. Codfuel prices are 4.38
I see, then you should stick with COD hope the prices don't go up too much.
Contracted option will drive by and fill up every month or so and will keep your tank full. How big is your tank?

Old 11-26-2022, 04:21 PM

Quote:
I see, then you should stick with COD hope the prices don't go up too much.
Contracted option will drive by and fill up every month or so and will keep your tank full. How big is your tank?
Little bit more than a 1000 gallons

Old 11-27-2022, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Little bit more than a 1000 gallons
Is that normal for homes to have 1000 gallon tanks? That's like 4 of my tanks. That's pretty huge, I kinda wish I had a big tank like that. Is that because it's one of those underground ones?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island