Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 04:37 PM

11,660 posts, read 12,751,726 times

Advertisements

Twingles, I caught part of that Katie Couric interview with Bon Jovi and a little bit of Steve Buscemi. It was on ABC here.

Then in the middle of Steve Buscemi, Eyewitness news interrupted our "regularly scheduled progamming" to show a press conference with Chris Christie telling us all about NJ again. Christie excitedly announced how he spoke to Obama while Obama was on Air Force One and then he put Bruce Springsteen on the phone who was campaigning with Obama. This is what gets into the news.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2012, 04:59 PM

22,700 posts, read 36,895,150 times
Good to see Bruce has his priorities straight too....on the campaign trail where he's needed (roll eyes). Jon Bon Jovi looked like he was asleep on his feet.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:02 PM

40 posts, read 136,607 times
Is anyone a blogger on here .?The marathon got stopped because of a blogger and the people complaining in the devasated areas of the Marathon .So their voices were heard .We are going to be the Mississppi of Sandy ..

Old 11-05-2012, 08:17 PM

1,775 posts, read 3,790,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdlugozi View Post
Suzook- You SHOULD care if LI makes the news! How are people left with nothing after Sandy going to get help if no one knows that help is needed? If there are telethons and fundraisers and supply drives going on for the victims of Sandy, how will any of that get to the people who need it here on LI if no one knows there is a need and all the help is being funneled to Jersey? Do you not realize how many people right here on LI are left without homes and have lost all of their posessions? News flash: there are plenty who lost everything. 100,000 LONG ISLAND homes lost or significantly damaged. Does that not seem news worthy to you? Do the people left without homes on LI deserve the help any less than the people who lost homes in NJ? More publicity=more help given to those who need it, plain and simple.

Exactly. The squeaky wheel gets the grease. We need to be vocal. I'm watching the news now and so far they covered NJ and just did a snippet about the lack of power in Oceanside. We need to increase media awareness. Cuomo complaining on TV is NOT helping. We need action, not petulant, whiny complaints to LIPA from an armchair Governor.

Old 11-06-2012, 05:51 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,161,856 times
Just heard another news report down here about the Sandy aftermath, Long Island wasn't even mentioned.

Looks like the Island needs hire someone to do some PR work (seriously) as it and it's residents aren't on anyone's radar. It's become an Island in more than just the physical sense.

Old 11-06-2012, 06:01 AM

214 posts, read 264,836 times
I agree. I just heard a lady in Lindenhurst talking about how many are still without generators (the generators that were redirected to Jersey). And that the help they have received has been from within the local community, not from the outside. Neighbors have been going door to door to help each other because many do not have phone service or internet and, especially the elderly, do not know how to get help.

Last edited by diydesign; 11-06-2012 at 06:15 AM..

Old 11-06-2012, 06:39 AM
Noc

1,435 posts, read 2,072,985 times
Who is talking up for Long Island besides us on the forums and on twitter?

Where is that shining star who has a mouth to let everyone know whats going on here. If nothing gets said people would think everything is OK here. I can't believe our leaders on Long Island are mute. I have a feeling these people are just waiting for that one voice and then everyone hops on the bang wagon.

I'd hate to experience what it'd be like if LI was it's own state. We are apart of New York and the NJ governor gets more attention that LI. Does our elected officials work closely with Bloomberg at all? They are right next door for Gods sake. Why do we feel so isolated. This is an abomination in all honesty. This is far to emotional to discuss on a forum.

Old 11-06-2012, 07:04 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,161,856 times
Long Island doesn't just need a mouth, it needs to be more than just a bedroom community for NYC. It has got to make itself economically important to the region and have it's own identity. It did have all that at one time.

Old 11-06-2012, 10:02 AM

40 posts, read 136,607 times
We need to bumbard one official that has the smarts and the mouth ....who? Someone has to know someone that can get the media here and talk to the people . Not local coverage ..we need the rest of the country to know . Our so called famous people seems to have forgoten us except Billy Joel. Lindenhusrt is a mess Who was that famous singer that grew up there ? I agree with Clark but for now we need the mouth.

Old 11-06-2012, 10:02 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,350,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noc View Post
Who is talking up for Long Island besides us on the forums and on twitter?

Where is that shining star who has a mouth to let everyone know whats going on here. If nothing gets said people would think everything is OK here. I can't believe our leaders on Long Island are mute. I have a feeling these people are just waiting for that one voice and then everyone hops on the bang wagon.

I'd hate to experience what it'd be like if LI was it's own state. We are apart of New York and the NJ governor gets more attention that LI. Does our elected officials work closely with Bloomberg at all? They are right next door for Gods sake. Why do we feel so isolated. This is an abomination in all honesty. This is far to emotional to discuss on a forum.
Bloomberg made a mistake by not allowing the President to visit NYC. Instead he allowed Chris Christie to HOG the President and all the national and international media. I think if Bloomberg would have allowed the President to visit and show his support, the President would also have come to LI, even if just to Long Beach or something to view the destruction before Airforce One took off from JFK airport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island