Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 08:36 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,427,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdlugozi View Post
Exactly.

And Vitriolic...since you know me so well, you know that speaking on a forum is not the "best I can do" nor is it the only stuff that I am doing to try to help people affected by Sandy.

FYI, I AM helping people shovel out and clean their homes and I am making runs with supplies and I am doing my best to network with out of state charities who are very unaware of the effects of Sandy on LI, and trying to convince them to send some trucks with supplies to East Rockaway, Oceanside, Riverhead and Mastic and other places on LI. One such charity on Facebook has been very receptive to the info I have sent and has arranged deliveries to Riverhead FD and Lynbrook Rec Center. So Facebook has proven to be quite useful for networking and raiising awareness of Long Island communities that have been hit hard and have received little outside help.If we as residents of this island do not speak up for ourselves and our neighbors, who will?

The reason why I started this thread was not to whine, but rather to see if I was the only person who felt this way, that the devastation on LI wasn't making it past the local news, and our politicians were mute re: people on Long Island who lost everything and needed help. I am only one regular person with no big connections, but I am hopeful that by spreading the word, something good will come of it, even if to only help a few people who would not otherwise be helped.
Can you recommend some LI specific charities that are accepting cash help? They need to be a registered charity. My job asked for suggestions of charities to donate to for Sandy and I want to make the case for LI.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2012, 08:37 PM

377 posts, read 647,039 times
Actually one of the homes that we are helping to clean out this weekend is in Bellmore. This particular homeowner lost most of her belongings and her car. She is crushed....not because of losing her furniture and appliances and needing to gut her house, but because of all of her possessions with sentimental value are gone- her wedding dress, baby books, photos, etc. Most (but not all) homes down there have sustained significant flooding damage, some even being swept off their foundations. The same is true for pretty much every other town, south of Merrick Rd. In some places, the water even crossed over Merrick Rd, which is nuts.

Old 11-09-2012, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Can you recommend some LI specific charities that are accepting cash help? They need to be a registered charity. My job asked for suggestions of charities to donate to for Sandy and I want to make the case for LI.
I will do some research on this. So far, the groups I have connected with have requested specific supplies...but I am sure there are groups looking for cash. If they take cash donations, I would recommend Island Harvest and Long Island Cares as they have been helping Hurricane victims here on Long Island.

Old 11-09-2012, 08:42 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,427,361 times
Default Publicity on the way? Obama to visit NY re Sandy

From Newsday mobile, free for all to read:

Obama to see New York's Sandy recovery work
Top Stories Item

Quote:
Meanwhile, President Barack Obama will be in New York on Thursday to view recovery efforts, White House officials said.

White House press secretary Jay Carney said Obama will meet with affected families, local officials and first responders.
He's got to stop on LI, right?

Old 11-09-2012, 08:44 PM

Island Harvest IS accepting cash help. :-) www.islandharvest.org

And so does Long Island Cares. www.licares.org

Both are registered charities that have been working locally to help Sandy victims. Both are good, legit organizations (unlike some scammers out there).

Old 11-09-2012, 08:51 PM

Quote:

He's got to stop on LI, right?
It would be nice if he did.

Old 11-10-2012, 04:48 AM

629 posts, read 1,706,849 times
Quote:
From Newsday mobile, free for all to read:

Obama to see New York's Sandy recovery work
Top Stories Item
A visit from the SCOAMF is bound to make it all better.

Old 11-10-2012, 05:19 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,187,997 times
Maybe he can hug a few more people.

Old 11-10-2012, 06:23 AM

969 posts, read 2,863,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdlugozi View Post
Actually one of the homes that we are helping to clean out this weekend is in Bellmore. This particular homeowner lost most of her belongings and her car. She is crushed....not because of losing her furniture and appliances and needing to gut her house, but because of all of her possessions with sentimental value are gone- her wedding dress, baby books, photos, etc. Most (but not all) homes down there have sustained significant flooding damage, some even being swept off their foundations. The same is true for pretty much every other town, south of Merrick Rd. In some places, the water even crossed over Merrick Rd, which is nuts.
My family's house was on Horace Court (2487 to be specific) my best childhood friend lived on Walters Court - we were backyard to backyard.

Old 11-10-2012, 06:42 AM

629 posts, read 1,706,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
Maybe he can hug a few more people.
I'm sure there is no shortage of people living here that would love a hug from the SCOAMF. After his hug-fest, maybe he can just raise taxes on the evil filthy rich making more than $100K and use some of it to help all the people on Long Island rebuild their sea-level homes!

Wait!
We ARE the evil filthy rich here on Long Island! That won't work!

Plan B:
Just borrow enough money from the Chinese to let everyone rebuild - with the promise that our children and grandchildren will pay it back some day. Yeh! That's better!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island