Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 01:14 PM

377 posts, read 644,469 times

Advertisements

Then why has every person on this thread living outside of Long Island cconcur that they have never seen LI mentioned in the news post-Sandy, except for to show Cuomo berating LIPA? Even my friends and family in CT have not seen LI mentioned as a place needing help post - Sandy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2012, 01:17 PM

And the generator thing did happen. Nothing mythical about it.

Old 11-09-2012, 01:41 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
It seems our voices have been heard. CNN has a cover article on LIPA and the gas issue here in our area. what disgusts me is that most of the comments to that CNN article claim NYers are being "whiny" and were "not prepared". Half of the comments are useless morons posting about politics and how Obama voters got theirs.

Feel free to set some of these idiots straight. But our plight is now in the national news. Good job fellow Islanders! Now lets focus on rebuilding, getting those clowns like Cuomo/Mangano and Bellone out of office, telling LIPA where they can sh**ve it, and building a BETTER Long Island for all of us to enjoy!!

New Yorkers turn against politicians; politicians turn against utility - CNN.com
Great find! I love this part:

Quote:
After enduring the boos, Kate Murray, presiding supervisor for the town of Hempstead, suggested residents should ask themselves where the utility officials are.

She successfully shifted the residents' cries against the politicians into chants of "Where is LIPA? Where is LIPA?"
Kate Murray in full weasel form!

I am perusing the comments now ... plenty of bitter and spiteful red staters out there I see ...

Old 11-09-2012, 01:54 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,144,775 times
"LIPA has absolutely abrogated all of its duties," she said. "They should be wiped off the face of the earth."

And the saps at the rally actually bought into that?

Old 11-09-2012, 02:00 PM

28 posts, read 45,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdlugozi View Post
I am trying everything in my power to change the situation and help these people who have received minimal assistance. Are you?
So typing some words on a web forum is the most you can do?
THE MOST?
Not shoveling sand out of a Long Beach resident's garage?
Not a case of bleach & disenfecting some elderly woman's house?
Not getting your digital camera & offering to digitize anyone's personal pictures?
Taking some firewood down to somebody with a fireplace?

Save the mock outrage. Some words on a forum is a whisker above apathy, so don't go ascending Mount Virtue just yet. I sense you patting yourself on your back just for "getting the word out" - but try to keep in mind that even if you were able to mobilize everything north of the Southern State, its still others who would be doing the heavy lifting. Actions, not words.

As for me - I'm just like the majority of people & your neighbors: going on with their own lives. Just as you did when I had hurricane damage during Irene. You could say I am repaying in kind.

Old 11-09-2012, 03:54 PM

1,101 posts, read 2,735,423 times
The network-affiliated stations in New York City have all closed their Long Island bureaus due to cutbacks. The remaining editors and producers are New York City-centric. Long Island -- the space between the Midtown Tunnel and the Hamptons (Brooklyn excepted) -- is no man's land for these folks. They wouldn't set foot out here. You need to depend on News 12 and the Newsday web site for information. Radio coverage (i.e. WCBS 880) of Long Island was generally better than TV.

Perhaps the news coverage was also not sufficient because a growing number of people view Long Island as a joke. We are a region that is going nowhere, thanks to our buffoon politicians, inept utilities and transportation systems, and an outrageous cost of living that is driving people and corporations to other, more hospitable parts of the country.

Old 11-09-2012, 05:29 PM

969 posts, read 2,852,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitriolic View Post
As for me - I'm just like the majority of people & your neighbors: going on with their own lives. Just as you did when I had hurricane damage during Irene. You could say I am repaying in kind.
What a bitter thing to say. Are we now pitting one disaster against another? Shame on you. I live in Maryland - we lost power during Irene for over a week - much storm damage as well. I did not sit here during Sandy thinking "too bad for those LI people". You know why? Because THE NEWS SAID NOTHING ABOUT LONG ISLAND.
NJ check - Staten Island - check and re-check.
I found out this morning that my local volunteer fire department (Grasonville VFD) is collecting clothing - blankets - canned goods - non-perishable food stuff - cleaning supplies and more from now until Nov 16 - then they are carrying it up to NY. When I drop my donation off - I will suggest that they remember Long Island.

Old 11-09-2012, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longislander2 View Post
The network-affiliated stations in New York City have all closed their Long Island bureaus due to cutbacks. The remaining editors and producers are New York City-centric. Long Island -- the space between the Midtown Tunnel and the Hamptons (Brooklyn excepted) -- is no man's land for these folks. They wouldn't set foot out here. You need to depend on News 12 and the Newsday web site for information. Radio coverage (i.e. WCBS 880) of Long Island was generally better than TV.
Exactly.

And Vitriolic...since you know me so well, you know that speaking on a forum is not the "best I can do" nor is it the only stuff that I am doing to try to help people affected by Sandy.

FYI, I AM helping people shovel out and clean their homes and I am making runs with supplies and I am doing my best to network with out of state charities who are very unaware of the effects of Sandy on LI, and trying to convince them to send some trucks with supplies to East Rockaway, Oceanside, Riverhead and Mastic and other places on LI. One such charity on Facebook has been very receptive to the info I have sent and has arranged deliveries to Riverhead FD and Lynbrook Rec Center. So Facebook has proven to be quite useful for networking and raiising awareness of Long Island communities that have been hit hard and have received little outside help.If we as residents of this island do not speak up for ourselves and our neighbors, who will?

The reason why I started this thread was not to whine, but rather to see if I was the only person who felt this way, that the devastation on LI wasn't making it past the local news, and our politicians were mute re: people on Long Island who lost everything and needed help. I am only one regular person with no big connections, but I am hopeful that by spreading the word, something good will come of it, even if to only help a few people who would not otherwise be helped.

Old 11-09-2012, 07:38 PM

And for the record, I am not ascending Mount Virtue. I am not perfect, nor am I pretending to be. Sorry if it bothers you that I am actually trying to help other people. I personally know a lot of people, including close friends and family, who have been displaced from their homes and have lost absolutely everything they own. I currently need to look for temporary housing because our current home is sold and the new home we were supposed to go to closing for on Nov 3 took on 4 feet of flooding on the main floor and needs to be completely gutted and rebuilt. The whole neighborhood was destroyed and people lost everything. For those of us in a position to help who are seeing the effects first - hand, it is not as easy for us to turn our backs and go on with our lives.

Old 11-09-2012, 08:21 PM

969 posts, read 2,852,266 times
Quote:
All five of the Bellmore-Merrick School Districts will be open for business Friday.

This includes the North Bellmore, Bellmore, North Merrick, Merrick and Bellmore-Merrick Central High School Districts.

“We look forward to welcoming students and staff back to school tomorrow,” Bellmore-Merrick CHSD Superintendent Henry Kiernan said.

He also added that Merrick Avenue Middle School had its power restored, and all of the district’s schools are running on full electric power.

The same cannot be said for Bellmore Schools, as Shore Road School is still without power. Fifth graders will be relocated to Reinhard School, while sixth graders will head over to Winthrop Avenue School. PTA will be running its lunch program, and the Nassau County preschool will be open as well.

“A message will be sent on Monday evening about 7 p.m. with an update on the status of the Shore Road School,” Bellmore Superintendent Dr. Joseph Famularo said.
I went to Shore Road (1959-1964) - my house was three blocks from there - wonder if it is still there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island