Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 03:51 PM

377 posts, read 647,702 times

Advertisements

Thanks, everyone. I will keep you all posted as things develop. I am psyched, though, that now, at least the Twin Cities will know about what is going on here. And Target Corp being on board with this = awesome. Everyone on LI with a mouth or a keyboard needs to just spread the word. If our politicians will stay silent, then we need to get really loud! LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2012, 04:37 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,199,693 times
I finally heard Long Island mentioned, though it turned out to be about Rockaway.

Old 11-07-2012, 04:56 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,632,418 times
Just FWIW - Gary Kaminsky - a guy who got pretty rich doing financial stuff - and who is now a commentator on CNBC - lives on Long Island. And he phoned into the station this morning - and went into a total tirade. About the storm response - LIPA - etc. - etc. Note that he still didn't have power - and had just been ordered to evacuate. It's too bad it was only on CNBC. Because I think in general that we're a pretty educated audience that knows what's going on. I couldn't find a link for his phone call (probably doesn't exist).

BTW - has anyone who's good at this kind of thing - someone who might be able to put out a somewhat professional product - considered doing a YouTube? Might - if done well - be effective.

I lived in South Dade County during Hurricane Andrew. Bedroom communities like yours and mine are kind of treated like garbage by the MSM after a storm (if only because the MSM doesn't have luxury hotels to stay in). Once the MSM knew that downtown Miami and Miami Beach were ok after Andrew - it skipped on to New Orleans to follow the storm. It didn't care that we had 165,000 houses totally destroyed/uninhabitable. And no - I typed that right. 165,000 houses.

Robyn (have lived in Florida for 40+ years but spent my childhood years growing up in Wantagh)

Old 11-07-2012, 05:14 PM

969 posts, read 2,866,610 times
I was child when I lived in Bellmore, LI - 1958-1965. We spent Saturdays in the summer at Rockaway Beach - extended family - all day long - our spot was in front of Howes Bath - no idea the street or anything - I was so sad to see the pictures.
Then I went looking for information on Bellmore - nothing - can anyone tell me anything?
My suggestion for exposure is to have your local VFW or American Legion Commander reach out to an American Legion or VFW in a state that was not so affected. They have lists available to them. I am sure they would find a Post who would partner to collect needed supplies.
I currently live in Maryland and our Posts are assisting people affected in our coastal areas - but there are Posts nationwide that I am sure would help.
If they only knew.
During Katrina - we collected books and things when I read of a community in a Gulf Coast State that lost their local library.

Old 11-07-2012, 05:14 PM

22,781 posts, read 37,193,337 times
Mike Francesa went off today too, I heard.

Old 11-08-2012, 03:52 AM

What do you need? Where do you want it sent? Do people need coats -socks - blankets? Is there a community center accepting donations?
Where would I find thias information?
I am sure people would help.
We just need to be told.

Old 11-08-2012, 05:58 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,199,693 times
Grasonville is right. Who is coordinating any relief efforts in the area?

Old 11-08-2012, 08:15 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,912,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasonville View Post
What do you need? Where do you want it sent? Do people need coats -socks - blankets? Is there a community center accepting donations?
Where would I find thias information?
I am sure people would help.
We just need to be told.
My suggestion would be to contact the fire departments of hard hit areas. Lindenhurst and Mastic are two places to start.

Friends -- please add places that you no were hard hit and can use help thank you

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Old 11-08-2012, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Friends -- please add places that you no were hard hit and can use help thank you
Are the shelters taking direct donations? Churches? Temples? Community Centers? School Cafeterias? The Salvation Army?

I always think that money gets put in a "fund" - I would like to know if there are direct donation locations that can get items into the hands of those who need it NOW.

Old 11-08-2012, 10:16 AM

40 posts, read 137,180 times
OK you know what really struck a nerve with me NY Giants donated money to NJ and NYC ,Why is the whole of NJ getting money but only NYC Mayors fund from them .? This seems to be the norm .NYC Mayors fund is getting alot of donations
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island