Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 06:01 AM

377 posts, read 647,173 times

Advertisements

Was this on News 12 or national?

How many times have you seen Chris Christie vs Andrew Cuomo? And if you saw Cuomo, did he refer to LI other than to tell LIPA he is breathing dow their necks?

Again, 100,000 homes on LI were damaged or lost. That should not be yesterday's news.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2012, 06:12 AM

629 posts, read 1,707,150 times
Time for a little post-hurricane reality check folks: no one gives a frog's a$$ about LonG Island other than those people living here and maybe the 1/2 of South Florida that started out here.

Old 11-05-2012, 06:15 AM

Agreed. Very pathetic and sad, really. How many years have these people with lost homes paid their dues to Albany, only to be treated as an afterthought by our own state government once the storm hit? It is not right.

Old 11-05-2012, 06:16 AM

22,770 posts, read 37,109,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitriolic View Post
I've seen Mangano conferences at least twice, Bellone had an on camera interview. I've heard Town of Hempstead Supervisor Kate Murray on a telephone interview; Steve Isreael & Pete King too (nothing from my Rep Carolyn McCarthy or Rockaways rep Meeks). I've seen Long Beach mayor Schneirman (probably misspelled). And Cuomo is shadowed by Chuck Shumer at most of his conferences, so is MTA chairman Lhota. I can't recall seeing Gilibrand.

Yesterday, Cuomo had a conference where all he did was praise how WalMart & Pepsico stepped up to the plate to provide truckloads of goods to the battered areas. The WalMart rep in particular went way too long on time. It felt like she was pushing to get a NYC building permit more than "We just wanted these people's lives to be a little easier for a few brief moments."

I don't have anything against Kate Murray, but lets just call it 'not illuminating'. Maybe if the less visible don't have much to add, they do a ground game.
Where do you live?

Old 11-05-2012, 06:27 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,157,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdlugozi View Post
Agreed. Very pathetic and sad, really. How many years have these people with lost homes paid their dues to Albany, only to be treated as an afterthought by our own state government once the storm hit? It is not right.
Since when has Long Island ever been treated fairly by Albany? We are useful only for our wealth .... otherwise we are last for state aid, first for state cuts.

This is why I support Long Island statehood. Let Long Island become the 51st/52nd state of the Federal Union equal to the other states of the Union. Moderator cut: language removed

Has the Red Cross or FEMA even been here yet? Oh I forgot they sent a whopping total of 1 trailer to Lindenhurst. They couldent even send us the gas delivery that was promised.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 11-05-2012 at 01:27 PM..

Old 11-05-2012, 06:33 AM

FEMA is here, and have set up 3 centers, I believe. And I have seen a couple of Red Cross trucks...Massapequa and Lindy. However, people in Lindy were told that some supplies (generators) were on their way but then diverted over to Jersey. The Red Cross truck in Massapequa was parked on Merrick Rd with nothing taking place that I could see.

LI communities have stepped up to help those in need, but most help has been grassroots like that. Free gas was sent by the gov to NYC, but the truck sent toward LI was a no show. Again, the govt aid, especially on the state level has been sorely lacking.

There does seem to be a belief up in Albany that LI is wealthy and can take care of itself. Most of the people I know without homes are middle class and house poor/property tax poor. Not wealthy.

Old 11-05-2012, 06:42 AM

28 posts, read 45,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Where do you live?
Rockville Centre, south central Nassau.

Old 11-05-2012, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Has the Red Cross or FEMA even been here yet?
If by here you mean Searingtown & Roslyn, then yes: Red Cross was set up there as of yesterday. I believe Great Neck too.

Old 11-05-2012, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitriolic View Post
Rockville Centre, south central Nassau.
Exactly the point. No one OUTSIDE of LI knows what is going on here or how many people are left homeless.

There is now a military presence in Lindenhurst, which came in only after there was looting of devastated homes,which escalated into robbing and raping of residents. Now the residents of south Lindy are under curfew and need to show their i.d. to enter or leave their streets. I know this because I have been in the area and have friends there, not because of nbc, cbs, etc.

Old 11-05-2012, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdlugozi View Post
Exactly the point. No one OUTSIDE of LI knows what is going on here or how many people are left homeless.
So its Shumer's fault that he doesn't make it to the national stage? Not ABC, NBC or CBS? If Mangano had a more charismatic personality, he'd have better national exposure?

Well, he probably would, but the point is: they are out & about. People in Nebraska just don't see them. There isn't enough time at the national level to hold audience with every elected official down to family court judge.

Just like in Katrina I saw:
Senator Landrau
Mayor Ray Nagin
Parish [something] Billy Nunguesser (or whatever)

but I'm sure there were lots of elected officials that I never saw. But I'm hopeful they got out to interface with the people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island