Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 09:51 PM

377 posts, read 645,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
I am disgusted with our leaders too, OP. I wish we had Christy as our Gov instead of Cuomo. I have no power, a flooded basement, a flooded garage, 2 ruined cars and a drowned generator. To top it all off, I am freaked out about looters as a Facebook friend was robbed in Lawrence/Woodmere on Friday when he stepped out for groceries. I can't wait to vote them out on Tuesday.
Why is no one in state govt advocating for LI during the aftermath? We have a governor, senators, reps, town supervisors, county execs...why aren't they speaking up for those who need help on LI in the way that Christie is for NJ? Why does no one outside of the News 12 coverage area know what is going on here on LI and how many people are left without homes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2012, 10:02 PM

236 posts, read 474,368 times
I think there was plenty of coverage of Long Island during the storm and in the 2-3 days after. I know ABC had reporters in Lindenhurst and Port Jefferson, and spent a lot of time talking to people who had their houses destroyed, especially in Lindenhurst. I'd say from Thursday on the coverage has shifted heavily to NYC and the Jersey shore.

What's kind of been glossed over is the fact that every area on the south shore has been heavily damaged, not just Long Beach and Lindenhurst. The Nautical Mile in Freeport is in shambles. Homes, parks and businesses damaged or destroyed in Island Park, Woodmere, Merrick, Amityville, Great River, and on and on. Not much mention though.

Old 11-04-2012, 10:11 PM

449 posts, read 1,133,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdlugozi View Post
Where? On News 12? NOT on 2,4,5,7. Long Island was ONLY covered by our local channel News 12, except Long Beach, which encompassed the only NATIONAL media coverage or real mention of LI.
Did you lose power during the storm? In my house anyone of the major TV channels was on and I saw reporters in each of the towns I mentioned more than once.

Old 11-04-2012, 10:13 PM

True...Massapequa, Wantagh, Seaford, Merrick...anything south of montauk hwy is a mess. We just sold our home and were supposed to be moving to our new place in Massapequa this week. However the whole first (main) floor was flooded with 4 ft of rainwater, so now we are looking for temporary housing. For us it is a pain in the a** but we are blessed to all be safe. That is what mattered. Knowing the devastation is why it pissed me off that the coverage and the govt advocacy from our own state hasn't been better. Like others have said, we are an afterthought.

Old 11-04-2012, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor123 View Post
Did you lose power during the storm? In my house anyone of the major TV channels was on and I saw reporters in each of the towns I mentioned more than once.
I was referring more to the aftermath when the coverage of LI has been lacking. Out of towners have posted right here on this thread that they were watching for info on how LI fared and really had to do their own online searching for that info as it was not mentioned in the news.

Old 11-04-2012, 10:20 PM

If you are happy with how the govt and media have covered the aftermath of Sandy on LI , that is fine. But I will have to stand by my original views that LI has gotten the royal shaft.

Old 11-04-2012, 10:49 PM

1,103 posts, read 1,998,394 times
Omg like how is long island not like the center of the universe"

Old 11-04-2012, 11:11 PM

212 posts, read 263,969 times
You are joking, right? No one asked for LI to be the center of the universe. But when people are living in the midst of destruction in freezing temps and supplies are being directed away from them to other places because their own government officials are not speaking up for them the way that other government officials are speaking up in other devastated places, and no one outside their local broadcast area knows they are suffering and need help, well- that is a problem. So happy for you that you are not in that situation.

Old 11-04-2012, 11:16 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,334,161 times
I bet I can tell how many days each user was out of power just by reading their posts in this thread, lol

I had cable throughout most of the storm and the only LI towns that I recall being mentioned even throughout the whole duration of the storm on non-LI stations were Long Beach, Fire Island and Lindenhurst....maybe one or two Massapequa and Babylon references: that's it! (and I watched the news for hours a day)

Old 11-04-2012, 11:18 PM

11,654 posts, read 12,733,935 times
I have been on my soap box about this as well and wrote a post about it on Friday on another thread. There was coverage about Long Beach and pre-storm, about Fire Island.

When I had no power, I listened to 1010WINS and CBS AM. All I heard about was NJ and NYC. I heard Jersey's Guv's impassioned speech and all that was being done in great detail. It seemed like Jersey had their act together.

I didn't have internet or TV and I was hoping that there would be mention about some phone numbers to call for shelter information as I was at my wit's end and was ready to pack it in and go to one. I heard on the radio how Duracell was giving out batteries in Manhattan, Con Ed was giving out Dry Ice, and that there was water and meals being given out in Manhattan too. I don't begrudge NYC residents getting these things and here, the priority should be the coastal towns, but I was wondering where the supplies were going, if any, on Long Island.

It was only after I got power that I saw the widespread destruction from News 12. Baldwin still does not have power and only today I saw that mentioned on News 12. Plainview, which is not near the water at all, had a lot of tree damage and also slow to get power back.

Even my friends who live in NYC had no idea how bad it was on Long Island.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island