Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2010, 11:17 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,534,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by look2bgr8 View Post
.... Undereducated people who cannot and will not appreciate intelligence....
And, I suppose you think your post sounds intelligent?

Old 10-14-2010, 10:19 AM

797 posts, read 2,338,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by look2bgr8 View Post

1) I have lived here my entire life and struggled every day since I graduated w/ a bachelor's degree almost 10 years ago.

2) You dont see people out walking, jogging, playing.. etc..

3) the suburbs consist of empty, rundown areas except for one county to the north where EVERYONE wants to go..so it is jam packed. ..

4) I have read most of the posts here some 40 pages worth and the dominant theme tends to be people who have moved and say they will NEVER move back! The posts will speak for themselves...

5) Over 30 percent of Indianapolis workforce commutes to the city from a small outlying town to work...

6) Everything is political and you will only get a good paying job if you are of noble birth which means your great grandfather also worked for the same company.. So people get jobs because of their last name and for no other reason.. case in point...
1) I could be wrong, but it sounds like you got an undergraduate degree in business and are now bitter because you can't find a job with a degree that countless other people have. In the last 10 years, have you sought a higher degree that would make you more marketable?

2) The last few times I've ridden my bike down to the Monon or downtown along the canal it's been pretty crowded with walkers, joggers, and people taking their kids out to play.

3) The county to the west and the county to the south both have over 100,000 residents so I wouldn't exactly call that empty. The county to the north you mention has maybe 275,000 people but at least half of the county is still farmland so I wouldn't exactly call that jam packed either.

4) Maybe that theme you picked up is due to the fact that this thread is tailored for and basically directed to people of the same opinion?

5) Commuting into cities isn't specific to Indy. A year 2000 report by the US Census Bureau entitled "Estimated Daytime Population and Employment-Residence Ratios: 2000" says that the Indianapolis city (balance) population increased by 15.6% each day due to commuting. Places that had more people commuting from outlying areas/suburbs included places like Seattle, Denver, Portland, Nashville, Austin TX, and Charlotte.

6) Case in point...I come from a small Indiana town of less than 5,000 people, have a father that drives a semi for a living and a mother that once cleaned houses and worked in a school cafeteria and yet somehow have managed to put myself in a position to have a job earning >$100,000 per year without knowing anyone. You are correct that nepotism is alive and well all over the world, not just in Indiana, but it's not the only way to get a job.

Old 10-14-2010, 04:47 PM

1 posts, read 3,491 times
Exclamation Its ok...

Iv lived in Indiana most of my life, and I cant say it is all bad, I am really fond of Bloomington Indiana, which is very open minded (except for one part). Although, on you way to bloomington you might pass through Martensville Indiana. this is one of the worst towns Iv EVER been in. I have recently found out that they put the Rebel flag up above the school. Homophobia and Racism runs super high in this area. The rest of Indiana is alright, but this area really should be moved to the South.

Old 10-14-2010, 05:59 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,534,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathanp55 View Post
I have recently found out that they put the Rebel flag up above the school....
I call BS. Given that Martinsville High School is along 37, it should be hard to spot. Show us a picture.

Old 10-16-2010, 07:54 AM

2 posts, read 15,521 times
I do find Indiana to be a rather quiet,conservative,quaint and relatively laid back state and great to raise a family. No crime for the most which is so great.

Old 10-16-2010, 11:22 PM

1 posts, read 3,453 times
I spent from 16 years old to 30 years old trying to get out of Indiana. I went to college out of state. I married a girl from home, we lived in Fort Wayne briefly then began moving. I lived in 6 states in 7 years. I made great money but it was all dependent on moving and performance. I was willing to keep cutting jobs and making bigger bonuses; but eventuatlly everything caches up. I had a bad 7 monthes ago. I cashed out and quit my job three months ago and moved home to Kendallville. I dont regret any of it yet. My house is paid for, my cars are paid for. Im making less, but who cares, most goes in the bank. I'm raising my child near my family and I'm home everynight to make him dinner.
Indiana may have it's drawback; but cheap, easy living isn't one of them.

Old 10-17-2010, 07:35 AM

26,406 posts, read 46,575,260 times
I would like Indiana more if most of the cities and towns weren't completely decaying with infrastructure falling apart. It doesn't make for many positive vibes.

Old 11-06-2010, 01:36 AM

1 posts, read 3,330 times
Default In a phrase...

If you're white, Indiana is alright!

Period.

Old 12-05-2010, 05:45 AM

2 posts, read 15,138 times
Angry Thats it in a nutshell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken_Man View Post
If you were born in Indiana, then you'd probably like it, because it's more likely that you'd fit in. I came here from Kentucky, and I can't say that I like it much.

It's been my experience that people in southern Indiana are generally backwards, unintelligent, uneducated, unsophisticated, xenophobic, reactionary prigs, many of whom have never left the county in their entire lives, and for those who have, going 15 minutes up the interstate is considered a journey of epic proportions. If you go more than one county away (much less out of state) then you may as well have traveled to the moon--you certainly have entered the area of the (flat earth) map denoted by the warning "there be dragons." Unless you have lived here for 6 generations, and your great grandparents went to school with their great grandparents, you will be an outsider for as long as you stay here. If you have anything over a room temperature IQ, look anything other than corn-fed and of germanic descent, are not Lutheran (there's two Lutheran churches here, and there's a serious rivalry between them) or hardcore Evangelical/Pentecostal Christian (bordering on being a snake handler), you will be ostracised and, at times, publicly derided for being different than the local norm. Conformity is not optional, it's an absolute requirement. The oft-touted "Hoosier Hospitality" is a joke--there's no such thing....

I've lived here for 16 years now--Columbus, Franklin, and Seymour, and I've worked in Indy, Columbus, and Seymour, in both private industry and for the government. I've not spent much time in northern IN, so I can't speak for people there, but having traveled extensively in southern IN, I feel like I have a very good handle on the culture (or lack thereof) and people in the southern half of the state.

There are exceptions to my generalizations, as I have met a few Hoosier natives that are kind, decent, friendly, intelligent, hard-working people, but, by and large, they are marginalized by the rest of society, same as me...
Youv'e hit the nail directly on the head! beware of uptight german hoosiers in fort wayne! sour!

Old 12-20-2010, 06:36 PM

4 posts, read 11,020 times
Default You are young

So here's what; you are free to leave. Though running away is not what it once was.

Go to where your ambitions and wishes may lead you.
Do not burn bridges.
'Cause our country and the opportunities of it, are not what they once were.

Homophobia is a very natural instinct.
Even though the commies have tried to educate us out of our instincts, our instincts remain and reign, well after our education has faded.

Oh, and to add; everything that you hate will defeat you.
Hate is a tax on your vitality, a big one at that. -- John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybird25 View Post
I am born and raised in Northern Indiana. I've been all over this state. I grew up in La Porte and moved all around Northwest and north central Indiana. As far as this area goes, I absolutely hate it. I'm almost finished with college and I'm moving for a less gloomy, warmer, climate. I do dislike the rampant racism and homophobia I've found in this area as well. If I could have afforded college out of state, I would have went that route. I LOVE sunny warm (even humid)weather, and wouldn't trade a warm sunny day in for a cold blustery day for the world. I hate the long winter and the gloominess that entrenches this area basically from October to April. In all honesty the closed-minded; ultra conservative attitude in most of the area has gotten really old. I know a lot of states share similar problems to this area, but a big factor is the weather. No place is perfect, and that is the point, if I'm going to live in areas with similar problems, at least I can live in one with weather and landscapes I don't despise. I was never born for this dreary weathered state. I'd be a happy man to never see snow or another season outside of summer again. I have always felt I don't belong and can't wait to leave.

That's just how I feel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana