Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2010, 01:28 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,764,170 times

Advertisements

it's all these ethnic Germans who inhabit this state ... and don't be hatin' because i'm one of them

Old 01-07-2010, 01:56 PM

265 posts, read 965,165 times
Naaa, never! It's just interesting how things can be so different even in the same state.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:37 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,160,359 times
okay, I had to add this. Hubby and I went to the mall together today (a rare event) because he is on furlough and he is bored out of his mind. We walk into JcPenney and we were not even in the store 5 minutes when we hear this older man say to a worker at the store. "Don't come near me cuss you are gonna steal my hat!" We turned around and the employee looked miffed and was like what? The older man said, "ya...the last time I was in here, you tried to steal my hat!"

We got further into the store and my husband turns to me and says, "OMG! What is it with this town!" We had a good laugh. I even told my husband, that when I got home I was getting on city-data to add this.

Old 01-07-2010, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
oh fallingwater ... again, I apologize.

Growing up in your area of the state, I completely sympathize and know what you are talking about! My parents moved to their house, the house where I grew up in 1968 and they are STILL treated like strangers in that town! Growing up in that environment, I didn't know any different, other than when I went to college near Fort Wayne, it took me months to get used to people just coming up and saying 'hello" and starting conversations ... and then hugging! ugh! being hugged by people other than your family (!!!!!!).

The whole "so you can rob me" thing is just stinking weird. here's what's even more weird ... the people that are saying that to you probably think they are making a funny ... seriously, that's just straight up twisted dark humor, so come on fallingwater!!! get with the program!!!! just kidding ... I am really sorry. I have a feeling that with the economy in shambles, particularly up there, the stupid passive aggressive comments float to the surface like a ... well ... you know.

i guess if i were to get one of those stupid comments to a question or show of concern, I'd say 'what's wrong with you?" and then you'd really see a retreat.
ha ha ha! Domergurl you crack me up! I sometimes wish hubby's job landed us further south in the state. I think it might have been a better fit for us city slickers but then again who knows.

Old 01-07-2010, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
I've noticed this paranoia as well, moreso after moving back to Indiana upon leaving. Mainly because leaving the state and going to all the "scary" places I heard about on the news was actually a great experience. And yes, I did experience thefts once or twice, and it was really not such a big deal.

I think there's something about living in a spread-out suburban or exurban environment that engenders paranoia. When your nearest neighbor is a few hundred yards to miles away, you feel isolated and vunerable. You start wondering if that slow-driving car is casing your house and how you can defend your exposed sitting-duck house and posessions. At least that's how I feel. I never considered buying a gun in some of the not-so desirable sections of Los Angeles, and certainly never when I was abroad, but the concept doesn't seem so alien in Indiana.

The paranoia seems to extend to the state government as well, as it seems like they jump at the chance to enact anti-terror measures like the RealID driver's liscense thing, or being very restrictive when it comes to issuing any document or permit to legal immigrants.
I agree. I find the longer I am here, I am starting to feel a bit paranoid myself. We used to live a stone's throw from Detroit. We didnt live in a crime infested neighborhood but we did have issues. We never owned a gun. Never had a security system on our house nor did we know anyone that had a system. That was the first thing we noticed here. EVERYONE has one. We don't have one in our house but have had several alarm sales people knock on our door urging us its a "need." But what kills me is that so many in our sub have the systems but leave their garage doors open all night. The other day I found some foot prints in the snow in my yard. Right away I was like WTH? Then I realized it was tracks from my son. Sheesh.

Old 01-08-2010, 08:31 AM

I have an idea. You should write a letter to the editor to the SB Tribune and tell them of your tale of moving from Detroit and what you are experiencing now with all these people apparently stealing from one another's homes and heads.

Seriously!

Old 01-08-2010, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
I have an idea. You should write a letter to the editor to the SB Tribune and tell them of your tale of moving from Detroit and what you are experiencing now with all these people apparently stealing from one another's homes and heads.

Seriously!
ha ha. I don't know if I would want to put my name and face to that article. Hoosiers are pretty proud people regarding their state. Blindly so at times. Not sure if I want to be run out of town by a pitch forks. My husband made a comment to a co worker about how SB is a small city with big city crime. Ohh boy, that did not go over well.

I did have a major highlight recently. 3 deer came into my backyard. It was awesome! But they stole some pine cones, not good.

Old 01-09-2010, 04:12 AM

265 posts, read 965,165 times
Most people are pretty proud of where they live.

I understand where you're coming from. We made the mistake of moving to a major metropolitan area in the midwest (not in Indiana) and we did not like it at all. In fact, when our two years were up, we fled back to Indiana. It killed forever in me the old adage, "You can be happy anywhere".

The best I can offer is try to hang in there. Talk to your husband and see if he's open to searching elsewhere for employment. And best of luck. There's nothing worse than being stuck in an area where you're miserable.

Old 01-09-2010, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
ha ha. I don't know if I would want to put my name and face to that article. Hoosiers are pretty proud people regarding their state. Blindly so at times. Not sure if I want to be run out of town by a pitch forks. My husband made a comment to a co worker about how SB is a small city with big city crime. Ohh boy, that did not go over well.

I did have a major highlight recently. 3 deer came into my backyard. It was awesome! But they stole some pine cones, not good.
you can word the letter in such a way where you sound like you are more baffled by why you are getting these responses from perfect strangers and then spread some nice over the top ... no pitchforks, promise.

i'll help you write it!

Old 01-09-2010, 04:15 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,124,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
That was funny!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana