Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2009, 08:40 AM

2,247 posts, read 7,035,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzureBlueWolrd View Post
I just want to know why whenever somene tries to explain their reasons for NOT liking Indiana, they're hit with a guilt hammer. Its almost as if its somehow WRONG to state that you don't like it here.
I just want to know why whenever someone doesn't care for a certain place, they have to bring it down, or belittle the people who do care for it.

I also would like to know why people complain about arbitrary things they should have researched beforehand, and then complain anyway (i.e. Indiana is cold, lacks mountains, etc).

Old 11-05-2009, 08:46 AM

392 posts, read 560,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
There were two incarnations of the Klan: one founded in Tennessee in 1865 and the other in Georgia in 1915. Neither was founded in Indiana.

There are so many things wrong with your other posts that I'm not even sure where to begin responding to them.
Gideon.
The KKK in Indiana claim they founded the KKK in Thayer, near Shelby and the Kankakee River. Without a doubt, the KKK is prevelent in Indiana and this may hold some historical truth to it. I am sure all these goons claim to be the originators of this malicia, hate group, and terrorist organization. Where it was founded is irrellevent to the fact, that it is a terrorist group and it should be banned and outlawed. If al Kaida comes here to the US and tries to spread its influence they are shut down. What makes the KKK any different? Nothing. If Obama does something good, I hope he puts them seriously out of commission.

Old 11-05-2009, 09:27 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,549,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon7620 View Post
Gideon.
The KKK in Indiana claim they founded the KKK in Thayer, near Shelby and the Kankakee River. Without a doubt, the KKK is prevelent in Indiana and this may hold some historical truth to it. I am sure all these goons claim to be the originators of this malicia, hate group, and terrorist organization. Where it was founded is irrellevent to the fact, that it is a terrorist group and it should be banned and outlawed. If al Kaida comes here to the US and tries to spread its influence they are shut down. What makes the KKK any different? Nothing. If Obama does something good, I hope he puts them seriously out of commission.
You seem to know a lot about the Klan. Makes me wonder.

Old 11-23-2009, 07:37 PM

2 posts, read 6,308 times
This happened August 14, 2009.

Old 11-30-2009, 08:34 AM

1 posts, read 4,049 times
Hello everyone.

I am a single mother and living in Atlanta. My daughter and I are moving to the Portland, IN area. My sister and her husband live there. I have been aimlessly looking for a job here in ATL for over 4 months, no luck. Not any job, not even McDonalds, its bad. My question is, what is Indiana like? The people, the schools, jobs, etc. I am searching for a simple job such as serving food somewhere as I understand its all I can find there, plus I am going to school online. I am originally from OR so Im not worried about the winters, but are the summers nice? Or very humid? I am trying to escape that here in Atlanta plus a relationship that is not working out for the greater good. Any feedback is welcomed. Thanks!

Old 11-30-2009, 09:35 AM

265 posts, read 965,165 times
Indiana is a lovely state, rural for the most part, uncrowded and with a low cost of living. The summers can be hot and humid, although this past year, the summer was actually pleasant. This was an exception, however. But, it's hotter in Atlanta, so you probably won't be suffering too much.

The people...that can vary depending on where you live. Based on my own experiences, the smaller the town, the more difficult it will be to make friends. Since your sister is already in Portland, that will give you a definite advantage, but people will view you with a certain amount of suspicion at first. Again, based on my own experiences, the people in larger cities such as Bloomington, Ft. Wayne, Lafayette, Evansville and Indianapolis tend to be more welcoming.

Finding a job will be a crapshoot. The economy is bad here, too. Usually, employment in a small town, especially one that isn't within reasonable commuting distance to a city, is anchored in one or two businesses and when those places are suffering, even minimum wage jobs may be difficult to find. Your best bet would be to check out the local newspapers or call a few places and ask. It's much better to move with a job prospect than to move and hope for the best after the fact.

If you decide to move, welcome to Indiana.

Old 11-30-2009, 10:09 AM

1,012 posts, read 2,562,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandma(in waiting) View Post
Indiana is a lovely state, rural for the most part, uncrowded and with a low cost of living. The summers can be hot and humid, although this past year, the summer was actually pleasant.
Finding a job will be a crapshoot. The economy is bad here, too. It's much better to move with a job prospect than to move and hope for the best after the fact.

If you decide to move, welcome to Indiana.
I agree with most of what you said, except for Indiana being 'rural.' According to the US Census, Indiana is an urban state with 69-percent of its 6.4 million residents living in cities and towns. But yes, its hard to adjust in small Indiana towns as is others across the country. Especially in Greenfield. It is a very pretentious town for some reason and they definately do not like newcomers. My mom had a friend that lived their for almost 20 years and was never able to feel comfortable and welcomed.

Old 11-30-2009, 10:30 AM

265 posts, read 965,165 times
Sorry, I should have qualified that. Indiana is rural compared to the Atlanta metro area and the states I have lived in.

The area around Portland could definitely be classified as rural. The closest town with a population over 10,000 is Muncie.

Old 12-03-2009, 11:59 PM

37 posts, read 61,671 times
It might be nice if they had a forum for Northern Indiana and one for Southern Indiana. Kind of like California, where I live. Things are definitely different for us who live further north--central coast, to be exact vs. those in Southern CA. or even inland. Just like Indiana, each area of our state offers something different. And, like Indiana, some of those areas are more pleasant to live than others. I'm fortunate to live on the coast in a mild, mediterranean climate. Sixty miles from the city of San Francisco and closer to Monterey/Carmel. Couldn't ask for a nicer place to live. On the other hand, I wouldn't want to live in the Central or San Joaquin Valley. Hot, hot, HOT in the summer and cold and gray in the winter. No ocean. But, just like in Indiana, some folks enjoy living there. Or maybe it's all they've ever known...or can't afford to move. Believe me, our housing costs are WAY too expensive on the coast. No way could we afford our home now.

Anyway, as I read this forum about Indiana, I feel like I'm reading about more than one state.

My daughter was recently accepted to IU in Bloomington and this has been her first choice school for months. Many might ask why a fairly liberal California beach girl would consider going out to the "conservative" midwest. Mostly it's because she wants to try something different. Doesn't want to go to one of the UCs or other CA schools like most of her classmates. She wants to experience four seasons. Everything about IU appeals to her. It's the traditional undergrad college experience that she's craving. But, I also know that Bloomington is a bit more liberal than other communities in Indiana, while still being the quintessential college town. We'll know in April or May if IU is where she'll matriculate. She still has 10 other schools to hear back from! But, right now....IU is still her first choice. We're probably going to visit in early April.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuszu View Post
I don't know where you guys live or lived in Indiana that you would talk about nasty women, cutthroats, unreasonable bosses, rude cashiers without eye contact, looking different being a problem, a blackhole, "salem witch trials?"!...etc... I'd like it if you mention the town or towns you're referring to when you provide such critism because I'll stay away from them LOL! Not to mention that you could have similar generic-sounding experiences, anywhere!

Here in Fort Wayne I haven't seen problems like which you describe... sure the people working at Wal-mart seem pretty unhappy most of the time (but that is all over the country and nearly any Wal-mart - LOL, I wish Wal-mart would treat their employees better to help change this problem) but most of my customer service experiences have been way above average in Indiana. Even the really tiny small towns I've been to with my family when out exploring new areas had friendly people who wanted to chat with us. For poor customer service or rude people, or perhaps just to set a benchmark for reasonable expectations... visit Westchester NY... or Miami FL. You'll be lucky to get someone who can communicate in English and even if they can you will certainly not get smiles nor casual conversation from most workers. Perhaps other areas of Indiana really have problems as you've described... I thankfully haven't seen anything like what you've described around here.

Part of me hates to read so much negativity about my home state on a sub-forum like this geared towards people looking to potentially relocate to Indiana. Another part of me acknowledges that if it was true for me I might have been the first to say this place sucks and tell the world about it and then I would definitely leave (Fort Wayne is not close to other family of myself nor my wife --- there, that's my serious critism for Indiana)... but I've simply not seen what everyone has been describing. The friends and family who have visited us typically compare Fort Wayne to where they are from quite favorably and indeed I know in just a year a few of them will relocate out here.

I hope readers of a thread like this realize there is a natural human tendency to complain more loudly than to praise.. I think it is a ignorant thread started by someone who was leaving Indiana and who just had a lot of angst to vent. There was no altruistic reason for starting up a thread like this and the vast majority of the issues repeatedly expressed have been from people who haven't explained their points of view, background, nor even the specific area applicable.

Indiana is a huge state... you cannot even describe the weather in general terms since Southbend's weather vs that of Southern Indiana's is completely different! You certainly cannot describe the state's economics and culture in general terms either... rural to urban you get quite different job situations and people. I'm looking outside right now and it is bright and sunny and it's NE Indiana on November 7!... now I think that's not depressing folks... if you do then well good luck finding happiness wherever your travels lead you.

Old 12-04-2009, 02:46 AM

37 posts, read 61,671 times
Sounds like my town of Santa Cruz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
Jakehorror- You will love California. I lived out there for awhile and loved every second of it. Great people, diverse culture, and there is ALWAYS something to do no matter what your interests are. I'm totally jealous!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana