Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2010, 07:58 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,764,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebelt1234 View Post
You are so right! I was a teacher in Yuma, AZ. When I had to attend new teacher orientation, I met another teacher. She asked me where I was from. I said Indiana. She said then asked me if Indiana was in the U.S.A. and if I had to fly over an ocean to get to Indiana from AZ. She said that she never left the small town of Yuma, AZ and she was over 30.

Music notes should look into leaving like right now instead of waiting. Life is too short to be miserable.
and that person was allowed to teach children????? she had to be kidding.

Old 01-03-2010, 08:06 AM

797 posts, read 2,340,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
and that person was allowed to teach children????? she had to be kidding.
Unfortunately not everyone has taken the time to learn their geography. For example, I just worked with someone who is has been going to school in Toledo for 2 years and didn't know where Indiana was. She wasn't sure, but thought it was VERY far away. I told her it was only 60 miles from where she went to school.

Old 01-03-2010, 09:19 AM

91 posts, read 189,632 times
Default Hoosier for many years

I'm 40, grew up here, spent a few years in Cincinnati, OH but always came back to the family farm on the weekends, so I was never really away. Now my husband and I have spent the last 13 years here, raising our three daughters and built a home. I love the peace, the country. We're specifically in southeastern Indiana, and I work in Cincinnati, OH. I always breathe a sigh of relief as I get closer to home. But that's ME.

I think everyone has different interests, needs, wants, etc. It changes as we age, too. I don't think there's anything wrong with anyone else if they love it here, or desperately want to go somewhere else. It's just what they need at that time in their life, and hey, it's a wonderful country...I love to travel, so I support anyone getting out and seeing what the rest of the world is like.

My husband and I are making plans, long-range, to move in ten years. It's not that anything is wrong with where we are exactly, it's that we're just ready for something different than what we've always known. We've really found we love New England, the ocean, the different sights and culture, the emphasis on American history, etc. For the second half of our lives, we're going to have a new start, that's all it's about. Indiana is good, true, quiet in the country, active in the city, often friendly...a great place to have a family and just commune with the good earth. We don't care for sports so we could care less about that action here or anywhere else we go.

Anyway, I'm rambling. Who knows, we might spent 20 years in New England and decide we're longing for Indiana in our twilight years. At least we will have gone out and experienced more than just where we were. But I don't see a thing wrong with those who spend their lives in one place that they just love, either. Many blessings.

Cara

Old 01-05-2010, 10:13 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,158,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingIndiana View Post
Unfortunately not everyone has taken the time to learn their geography. For example, I just worked with someone who is has been going to school in Toledo for 2 years and didn't know where Indiana was. She wasn't sure, but thought it was VERY far away. I told her it was only 60 miles from where she went to school.
OMG I have a in-law that has a masters degree. She teaches high school. This individual has always been self righteous, talks badly about her students, lashes out in class and calls kids stupid or pieces of trash. I am not fond of tenure. She should not be teaching.

By chance I found her on a social networking site. I was astonished after reading what she wrote. She completely misspelled the city she works for and also listed the rest as pubic schools. She makes 70k a year and I dont have a job.

Old 01-06-2010, 05:33 AM

912 posts, read 1,333,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
OMG I have a in-law that has a masters degree. She teaches high school. This individual has always been self righteous, talks badly about her students, lashes out in class and calls kids stupid or pieces of trash. I am not fond of tenure. She should not be teaching.

By chance I found her on a social networking site. I was astonished after reading what she wrote. She completely misspelled the city she works for and also listed the rest as pubic schools. She makes 70k a year and I dont have a job.

OMG Do you have any way of letting the school know of how she treats her students even anmoysioly ?? (SP) I was told that as well by my parents and now I have no self esteem and don't believe I can do anything . A person such as this has no business teaching should be a career you should love .

Old 01-06-2010, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post

social networking sites are being used to evaluate employees ... I say go for it.

Old 01-06-2010, 05:43 AM

Quote:
it's one of my pet peeves. When I was a senior in HS, our history teacher passed out a blank map of the US at the end of the year for an easy assignment and I was the only one in the class who could fill the dang thing out! And I graduated smack dab in the middle of my class. Living in the Great Lakes region ... is it too much to ask that one knows where at least 3 of the great lakes are????

Every once in awhile I'll have a conversation who is a high school history teacher and I'll use a word ... and as you all well know, I'm not exactly a wordsmith ... and she'll say "what does that mean?" ...

at our school, some ladies from the PTA set up a teacher appreciation breakfast of bagels and "all the accoutrements" and there were several teachers who said that they either had never heard that word or had to LOOK IT UP!!!

Old 01-06-2010, 08:25 AM

797 posts, read 2,340,566 times
I once was grading papers for a lower level natural science/geography type of class. There was a problem with a map and concentric circles with their distances from the center next to them. One question asked which city was closest to 500 miles from Washington DC(the center of the circles) and only one or two kids got it right. All you had to do was find the city on the circle labeled as 500 miles. There were even worse examples, but I can't bring myself to type them out. It's sad really, but I digress.

Old 01-06-2010, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
social networking sites are being used to evaluate employees ... I say go for it.
oooo, how I would love too! I would hate to bring bad karma on myself though.

Old 01-06-2010, 09:18 PM

Quote:
I once was grading papers for a lower level natural science/geography type of class. There was a problem with a map and concentric circles with their distances from the center next to them. One question asked which city was closest to 500 miles from Washington DC(the center of the circles) and only one or two kids got it right. All you had to do was find the city on the circle labeled as 500 miles. There were even worse examples, but I can't bring myself to type them out. It's sad really, but I digress.
Funny how this country was formed on exploration. How many risked their lives moving from one part of the country to another. Then you have educators that don't even know where the closest states are. If they don't then the kids won't know either. How pathetic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana