Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2009, 05:58 AM

265 posts, read 964,241 times

Advertisements

I grew up in the SF Bay area and you're right...northern and southern California are two different worlds.

That said, the differences in northern and southern Indiana aren't quite that pronounced, other than a couple of generalizations that can be completely subjective. For instance, my experiences have been that people in the southern part of the state tend to be friendlier and I find the geography to be more scenic and diverse. Others may have differing opinions.

Bloomington is an island unto itself and certainly not typically Indiana in many ways (my opinion, again). I hope your daughter likes IU.

Old 12-06-2009, 09:39 PM

329 posts, read 774,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Holly* View Post
Isn't there a saying... "If you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen".. It only makes sense... if you can't stand where you live, get the hell out. It's common sense (which most people lack now-a-days). If you are in a bad, unhappy relationship...get out. The whinning and complaining doesn't do any good... "I hate this, I hate that"... yada, yada ... YADA. If you can't afford the gas to drive somewhere - then get a bike. If you don't like traffic - move to a smaller city. If it's really "that" bad.... why are you here?

As far as the rude drivers and people .... they are EVERYWHERE... Unless you haven't traveled out of Ft. Wayne (since you were talking about not being able to afford gas prices). I have lived in larger cities... and smaller as well that have been much worse then Ft. Wayne. Everyone is intitled to their own views and opinions but the whinning in unreal.... It's all about making the BEST out of what you HAVE.
sounds like you have some problems...good luck with them...if you feel the need to vent about this post,bring it on it just reinforces what was stated, (never argue with a moron they will drag you down to thier level and win with experience) my work here is done. lol

Old 12-06-2009, 09:56 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,559,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandma(in waiting) View Post
Sorry, I should have qualified that. Indiana is rural compared to the Atlanta metro area and the states I have lived in.

The area around Portland could definitely be classified as rural. The closest town with a population over 10,000 is Muncie.
Well grandma, I think you need 2 read a geography book. You are comparing apples to oranges. Indiana is a state while Atlanta is a city. In fact, 70% of Hoosiers live in cities and towns with at least 2500 population (US Census requirement) versus 65% for Georgia. Next time know your info B4 posting.

Old 12-07-2009, 05:44 AM

265 posts, read 964,241 times
Retract your claws, Krock. I apologized and did not say that Atlanta was a state, rather it was a metro area. You want sackcloth and ashes? Lighten up.

2500 people does not a major metro make. Compared to states where I have lived where one side of the street might be one town and another side a different town, Indiana has miles and miles of open spaces. Take it from someone who once ate a bad hot dog at a golf course and had absolute misery for 30 miles until we got to a town that had a restroom.

Also, according to this map: http://www.dailyyonder.com/files/ima...rUSASpring.pdf , Jay County, where Portland is located, is a rural county.

Last edited by Grandma(in waiting); 12-07-2009 at 06:36 AM..

Old 01-01-2010, 04:24 PM

1,391 posts, read 2,645,658 times
I registered just to have a say in this thread. I was born and raised here. I've lived in various areas around the country including most of New England and just outside Miami. I've been to many countries, everywhere from Nova Scotia to Italy to Bahrain. When I hear someone say, "It's a small world" I can't help but laugh at such ignorance and limited perspectives. The world is a HUGE incomprehensibly complex and diverse place, and anyone who thinks it's small probably hasn't seen much of it. But no matter how many places I see, no matter people I interact with, no matter how many cultures I immerse myself in, I gotta say that coming back to Indiana makes me think:

"GOD I hate this state." The only culture to be found in this flat and featureless corn field, is in the dairy section at PayLess. To be perfectly honest, I don't even like the Midwest period.

I need to live overseas for a while. As soon as I get my degree, provided I can land the ideal job, then I'm thinking somewhere in the Mediterranean.

Old 01-01-2010, 05:10 PM

912 posts, read 1,331,574 times
Good ridance to those who don't like our state .I love Indiana .

Old 01-01-2010, 05:24 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,721,897 times
yea, it's kind of sad when someone actually takes the time to register JUST TO WHINE. You get what you give, music notes ... you've been warned.

Old 01-01-2010, 08:49 PM

1,391 posts, read 2,645,658 times
I've been warned? Just what is it that I'm getting/giving, domergurl?

Old 01-01-2010, 08:53 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,531,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♪♫♪♪♫♫♪♥ View Post
I've been warned? Just what is it that I'm getting/giving, domergurl?
I think she means that if you're going to register only to make one of your first posts a bash of Indiana, you better be prepared to catch some heat in return.

BTW..... Nova Scotia isn't a country.

Old 01-01-2010, 09:19 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,111,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♪♫♪♪♫♫♪♥ View Post
The only culture to be found in this flat and featureless corn field, is in the dairy section at PayLess. To be perfectly honest, I don't even like the Midwest period.

I need to live overseas for a while. As soon as I get my degree, provided I can land the ideal job, then I'm thinking somewhere in the Mediterranean.
I suppose part of the question is how you define "culture".

I had a rather eye-opening experience this holiday season.

My daughter and her beau, both with elite/ivy educations and extensive travel for work and pleasure, came to visit.

We sent them out to eat on two occasions (too much family togetherness is bad for the soul ). Once to Bistro 310 in podunk Columbus IN Bistro 310 and on a second night to Retaurant Tallent in Bloomington Restaurant Tallent

I later asked them about their dining experiences. They both said that each were amazing. I joked "yeah pretty good for the Midwest".....and they both commented that no, these meals were stellar. As in good enough to compete with some of the best restaurants on the East and West coasts.

Perhaps "food" doesn't fall under your radar as "culture", but in our family, it's important.

It sounds like you are young, and the "grass is always greener" as they say.

Soooo.....Good luck and best wishes with your journey.

p.s. no, I was not born and raised here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana