Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2010, 11:25 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,136,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
you can word the letter in such a way where you sound like you are more baffled by why you are getting these responses from perfect strangers and then spread some nice over the top ... no pitchforks, promise.

i'll help you write it!
Hmmm...something to think about. I should start a thread on here for transplants. See if any others have experienced this paranoia. I would interested in seeing if many have experienced this or if I'm the lucky one. Do a little research.

Old 01-12-2010, 06:23 PM

165 posts, read 552,802 times
Well I was born in Indy but have lived in Florida (years), Louisiana (1 year), Texas (1year) and now Alaska (since july 2008). I bought a house in Southern IN but for about 6 years all I wanted to do was get out of that State. Now looking back I want to be back there. Being in the Military it's hard to call a place home but IN is home to me. Now that I want to settle down and spend more time with my family that is where I want them to grow up. It's much safer than most places, schools aren't that bad, and it's peaceful. I have to say that I love IN and can't wait to get back.

Old 01-17-2010, 02:38 PM

49 posts, read 82,002 times
when i look at places. i look at do they have jobs there? how is the crime rate? dose the school system suck? what are the towns/citys close to there like?

from my point of view indiana isnt doing all that well.

and my city of Anderson is one of the WORST cities in this state.

no jobs
school system sucks
crime and crackheads
nasty dirty neighborhoods.

sad to think this city at one time was pretty good. but these days its starting to remind me of a city in a 3rd world nation maybe not as bad but things keep going the way it is. it will be there

Old 01-17-2010, 10:57 PM

625 posts, read 1,810,033 times
The problem with Anderson is the elected officials and many of the people who live there (NOT all of course). But desperate times call for desperate measures, and the city of Anderson does not get this concept at all!

Old 01-18-2010, 11:59 AM

183 posts, read 242,728 times
I am born and raised in Indiana. lived in Indy by stringtown til I was 9 then moved to Monrovia til I was 17 and then lived in Clayton until recently and moved to Mooresville. So I am a country girl. I went to school 50 whcih was a good school until they clsoed it and Im not sure what it is now. Monrovia was horrible, and Cascade (Clayton) was a great school. I caught up the year I was behind plus the grade I was suppose to be in all in 1 year. There are parts of Indiana that are good. The cities and downtown are horrible. I avoid them as much as I can. I however dont care to stay here. If it werent for my family Id been gone long ago. I hate the idea of picking my kids up and moving em outta state when they are so young. Were very family oriented so my kids are close to their nana, papaw, aunt unlce and cousins. Ive been making plans to visit OK and if I like it maybe move. Indiana just isnt as good as it used to be.

Old 01-18-2010, 01:28 PM

My question to those that seem to hate IN is...have you lived anywhere else? What makes you think it is any better anywhere else? The grass is NOT greener. Jobs are few and far between everywhere right now. School systems are not as good as they used to be in many places. Drugs, crime, etc can be found in every small town from Maine to Alaska. I have been to 30 States and a dozen countries and they all have their good and bad. It mainly comes down to what you make of a place. I think everyone should experience other places. I am thankfull that I had the chance to see the world and interact with different people. If I would have never been out of IN I would probably hate it too. But from my experience it is not the State that dictates happiness, it is how you percieve where you live that makes it good or bad. Also you have to look at things like taxes. In AK we have no State income tax or State sales tax. Which is great but if you only look at that then you are missing the fact that everything from fuel to milk cost twice as much here. Shipping is rediculous and many things can not be obtained up here. IN taxes you for eveything but housing is cheap, pay is close to average and it is in a prime location. Texas has no State tax but property tax and housing is rediculous. Pay there isn't much over average and crime is high. Florida is expensive to live even without State tax because it is a tourist destination. Living by the beach isn't all that wonderful either because after awhile it loses it's luster. Plus after going through hurricane Andrew that made up our mind to leave. Oklahoma is another State that the economy is particularly rough right now. Crime is out of control and the school systems in many areas suck. So as I said there are faults with evey location, and to think that moving to a different location will solve all your problems and give you happiness is just plain rediculous.

Old 01-18-2010, 02:09 PM

183 posts, read 242,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug1980 View Post
My question to those that seem to hate IN is...have you lived anywhere else? What makes you think it is any better anywhere else? The grass is NOT greener. Jobs are few and far between everywhere right now. School systems are not as good as they used to be in many places. Drugs, crime, etc can be found in every small town from Maine to Alaska. I have been to 30 States and a dozen countries and they all have their good and bad. It mainly comes down to what you make of a place. I think everyone should experience other places. I am thankfull that I had the chance to see the world and interact with different people. If I would have never been out of IN I would probably hate it too. But from my experience it is not the State that dictates happiness, it is how you percieve where you live that makes it good or bad. Also you have to look at things like taxes. In AK we have no State income tax or State sales tax. Which is great but if you only look at that then you are missing the fact that everything from fuel to milk cost twice as much here. Shipping is rediculous and many things can not be obtained up here. IN taxes you for eveything but housing is cheap, pay is close to average and it is in a prime location. Texas has no State tax but property tax and housing is rediculous. Pay there isn't much over average and crime is high. Florida is expensive to live even without State tax because it is a tourist destination. Living by the beach isn't all that wonderful either because after awhile it loses it's luster. Plus after going through hurricane Andrew that made up our mind to leave. Oklahoma is another State that the economy is particularly rough right now. Crime is out of control and the school systems in many areas suck. So as I said there are faults with evey location, and to think that moving to a different location will solve all your problems and give you happiness is just plain rediculous.
For some people it isnt a solution for others it happens. I have a few friends that moved to OK from here and will never come back cuz they like it. Im looking into the area around Lawton/ Duncan where I have family and they have jobs, good school and decent housing. Im not sure what part of IN your from but housing out here is not cheap. For a decent 3 bedroom at the cheapest is $800 and thats with no land just the house, no garage extc... you want a garage, a yard that will run you anywhere from $1200-$2500/month. The homes Ive been looking at in OK are $500-700 with a yard and garage and all that. Everyone is different just because it didnt work out for you doesnt mean it wont happen for someone else and that it doesnt happen period.

Old 01-18-2010, 03:02 PM

265 posts, read 964,142 times
We've bounced around a few places due to my husband's employment and almost every place we've lived has had their good points and bad points. No place was a utopia, but we always wanted to come back to Indiana. It's just a good fit for us here and I wouldn't live anywhere else by choice (and I was born and raised in California).

I hope you find what you're looking for in Oklahoma. My experiences have been that the people there are very nice (I had an aunt who lived in Norman, OK and everyone was always very congenial to us when we visited).

Old 01-18-2010, 03:12 PM

Well Lawton is ghetto...trust me I know. As for housing, well in AK for a 2 bedroom apt it runs $1,500/month so IN is cheap compared to that. I am from Otwell IN and own a 2 bedroom house with a 1/4 acre lot, 2 car garage in town and pay $400/month for taxes, Ins, Interest and Principle. Now that is cheap. So what I'm getting at is you may hate the town you live in but the whole State is not that bad. You may be happy in OK but you could be just as happy 30 minutes away from where you are now. But as you said to each their own. Just do your homework and look at everything...from taxes to weather, and jobs to schools. Every place I have lived had many things I loved and many things I didn't. But the only place that truely felt like home was IN. Good luck and I hope you find a place to call home.

Doug
Former A.F SSgt

Old 01-18-2010, 03:48 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,060,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug1980 View Post
My question to those that seem to hate IN is...have you lived anywhere else? What makes you think it is any better anywhere else? The grass is NOT greener.\
Thats an interesting opinion, because I used to like Indiana. I mean, I was excited to go out and see the world, but I always expected to come back to raise a family since that's what everybody said Indiana was good for.

Well, I went out, lived in a few places around the US and around the world and then did come back to Indiana. After about a month, I was ready to leave again. I suppose it's not the worst place to raise a family, but I don't think I could live with 18 more years here. I think I can find better schools, safe neighborhoods, and still be able to find economic opportunities or more cultural diversions to boot elsewhere.

I find it really interesting that we did more-or-less the same thing but came away with entirely different opinions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana