Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2011, 02:38 PM

2,200 posts, read 4,427,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by indy_317 View Post
Not everyone can just up and move and make money like you did. You are different if you got a job paying enough to allow you to save almost a quarter mil, on top of being able to party, go on costly vacations, etc.. You are also different in that you avoid spending hundreds of thousands of dollars on ridiculous home prices. It has only been recently that the US savings rate actually was positive. For decades, we have been a debt slave nation. No one cared about paying for 30 years on a home, because it was magically supposed to increase in value 10% a year. So folks got lucky and sold at the high point, others not so lucky.

Anyways, the areas were I live have minimal job offerings. The cheapest public school where I could get a four year degree in something costs $250ish/credit hour now (compared to about $100 back in the late 90s). Also, lab fees and textbooks are also pricey. Not only that, it wasn't until the housing bubble collapsed that housing actually is now somewhat affordable in the areas I wouldn't mind living in. A lot of folks in your shoes were able to cash out and go and live in these places, and they didn't care if they paid $100K more than they should for a home, because the same home were some of them came from went for $800K, and they were spending just $250K, maybe a little more.

There are many factors which come into play, some of them self-imposed, others that other people may not be so lucky to have.
I'd also like to add that while ocean, mountains, etc. are cool (I disagree with year round warm weather)... living near them...seeing them day after day after day will make them get boring/not as exciting quite easily. When you don't live near them and take a vacation there, you appreciate them a lot more.

With that said, Lake Michigan is a perfect ocean substitute and is about 4 hours away... and the appalachians are about 2-3. So I'm content.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
One thing that bothers me more than anything about Indiana is the insane amount of homophobia, racism, and general bigotry. There is not a day that goes by that I have to hear that crap, and I can't wait to get out of here.
Um, there is stuff like this in Indiana, sure, but it isn't all over the place like you are implying. There are many places a lot worse than Indiana.

Old 02-15-2011, 03:12 PM

8 posts, read 29,036 times
I do not like living in Indiana. I just feel that there's not much to offer here. I lived in Southern California and even the bus ride to school was breath taking, watching the sun come up behind the mountains.
I do appreciate that it's probably one of the cheapest states to live in, and the beauty of Lake Michigan and Indiana Dunes, but it's just hard for someone like myself..I love to travel on my husbands days off, but everything is so far...he has to take at least a week off of work for us to go anywhere interesting...Chicago is fun, but after going 6-12 times/year, you start running out of things to do. We try to squeeze in one big vacation a year. The great thing about California is it's such a big state, there's so much to see and do, it doesn't get boring, at least not for a very long while

Old 02-21-2011, 04:06 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,083,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
I'd also like to add that while ocean, mountains, etc. are cool (I disagree with year round warm weather)... living near them...seeing them day after day after day will make them get boring/not as exciting quite easily. When you don't live near them and take a vacation there, you appreciate them a lot more.

With that said, Lake Michigan is a perfect ocean substitute and is about 4 hours away... and the appalachians are about 2-3. So I'm content.
I don't think they will be boring unless the person makes them boring. To me, areas with more mountains and oceans seem to have a lot more constant lean of outdoor activity. This usually, for better or worse, means more options for outdoor activities (better would be for private companies to sprout up, worse might mean lots of tax increases for government provided recreation that one may not care for).

I think some folks want to have outdoor recreation right outside their door, and I have read that is a big draw for Denver when compared to Indy. I also think the Appalachians are a little bit further than just 2-3 hours away. I guess I don't know how you define that range. I know that there are some neat outdoor recreation areas in KY (Red River Gorge) which I have recently been reading up on. Looks like a good place for a weekend getaway. Another area in Ohio might be the Hocking Hills area of Ohio. Now those areas are within that drive range, and I'm guessing they are part of the foothills of the Appalachian mountains. Also, I was surprised at parts of far S. Illinois. They have an area called Garden of the Gods which is on the list for a possible future visit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prayerfulhope View Post
I do not like living in Indiana. I just feel that there's not much to offer here. I do appreciate that it's probably one of the cheapest states to live in, and the beauty of Lake Michigan and Indiana Dunes, but it's just hard for someone like myself..I love to travel on my husbands days off, but everything is so far...he has to take at least a week off of work for us to go anywhere interesting...Chicago is fun, but after going 6-12 times/year, you start running out of things to do.
If you like big city/huge metro area stuff, Indy doesn't really have much to offer. However, if you save good money on the cost of living, I think Indy leaves a lot for big city stuff. For starters, within three to four hours, you can be in numerous metro areas such as Louisville, Columbus, Cincinnati, Detroit, and Chicago. That opens things up to some extent.

Also, if your looking for outdoor stuff, I agree that Central Indiana is a drag. As I am looking at various areas in this country, I get depressed that Indy doesn't have a close by Red River Gorge or Hocking Hills area. The closest things we have are Brown Co. and Turkey Run state parks. The drives are just too long for weekly trips on my days off, or after work.

However, my job is here, and the wife now has a job that doesn't pay much, but the benefits are awesome. Not only that, the #1 reason we are staying is family. While I don't like thinking about it, once our parents pass (also, her parents may move and retire elsewhere in the country) and my nieces grow up and don't care to hang out with "old people," I wouldn't be against relocating to a smaller metro area. If things are still going good for us, we will likely stay though. We both get great vacation benefits, and I feel Indiana is close enough to areas I like, so its not all bad.

Old 05-10-2011, 09:52 AM

1 posts, read 2,070 times
My brother lives in Lafayette and I am considering moving there to look for work...I know, I know, but wait. I live in Honolulu. Why in the world would I move?? 1. Cost of living. $900 per month rent (1 bedroom, no furniture except stove and refrig). 2. I moved here from Hilo (on the Big Island, so no easy commute) and have been separated from my family except for brief visits for almost a year trying to get established. 3. All my family is in the midwest and my wife's family is in the Philippines. Concerns: I am not interested in exposing my wife to "ultra conservative...rampant racism and homophobia..." Hawaii is progressive and generally open minded on race, gender and for the most part politics. I am concerned about severe culture shock (for me and for my wife). I don't think I have a choice about the move, so I am looking for advice on how to prepare. I know there are great things about the area from what I have read. I am looking for sound advice as to how to get my head around the culture, views, politics and sentiments toward "outsiders," of whom I will be one.

Old 05-10-2011, 11:51 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,549,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R0aring1 View Post
Concerns: I am not interested in exposing my wife to "ultra conservative...rampant racism and homophobia..."
Hawaii is unlike the mainland 48 and Alaska. You can find conservative politics, racism and homophobia anywhere in the continental 48.

Old 05-10-2011, 09:09 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,684,481 times
The job market absolutely sucks here. I am in the Bloomington area. I went and applied for a job at Golden Corral. They said that they had received 500 applications. What the heck? People are lining up for dishwashing jobs here. I think I am going to be moving to North Dakota or South Dakota ASAP. Living in a state where there are more jobs than people would be priceless.

Old 05-11-2011, 02:49 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,549,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redroses777 View Post
I am in the Bloomington area. I went and applied for a job at Golden Corral. They said that they had received 500 applications. What the heck? People are lining up for dishwashing jobs here.
Well, Bloomington is a major college town.

Old 05-11-2011, 04:49 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,110,737 times
Quote:
The job market absolutely sucks here. I am in the Bloomington area. I went and applied for a job at Golden Corral. They said that they had received 500 applications. What the heck? People are lining up for dishwashing jobs here. I think I am going to be moving to North Dakota or South Dakota ASAP. Living in a state where there are more jobs than people would be priceless.
Sure hope something works out for you soon.
The economy has hit everyplace not just the Midwest.

Interesting you brought up the Dakotas as they do have a robust labor market from what I have read.

Old 05-11-2011, 06:27 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,083,380 times
Quote:
Anything concerning application numbers should be taken with a grain of salt. For starters, people on unemployment have to at least show they are applying to work somewhere. Lots of folks have no problem living on unemployment while working under the table side jobs and/or engaging in theft to give them the life they want. No, this isn't everyone on UE, and it might only just represent a small %, but when UE and other things (ie: Probation, parole, work release, etc.) come with stipulations that one must at least show that they are looking for work, application numbers are going to go up.

I will say that I agree that one may have a better chance on finding jobs in more rural states than in more populated states. There has been a trend, especially with those just out of college to those in their late 30s/early 40s, that moving to metro areas was just something they wanted. They wanted the city life. Well, lots of the economy in major metro areas have been driven by consumer debt and government intervention (ie: welfare, direct subsidies, if you lower our taxes...we will build it, larger government agencies/services=more gov jobs, etc.). With the economic collapse, lower tax revenue, etc., the party has ended for major metro areas.

The rural states/areas have always been hiring for specialty skilled jobs, both private and public sector. I discovered lots of the more rural states offer law enforcement transfers because it is so hard to find quality people to work in LE anymore. Same for teachers, nurses, and doctors. Then you have those specialized companies (ie: Chemical, engineering, etc.), they need folks with specific educational skill sets as well.

Old 05-11-2011, 08:53 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,764,170 times
I have a friend who was bumped to the front of the application pool because she could pass a whiz quiz ... I guess there are jobs out there, but people can't pass drug tests ... how sad is that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana