Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2012, 09:58 PM

4 posts, read 7,020 times

Advertisements

I have mixed feelings about Indiana. I've lived here for most of my life (mostly rural areas, I admit), and I had a very nice child hood and being a Hoosier is an important part of who I am and always will be no matter where I live. There are a lot of nice, honest, hardworking people here (who generally aren't all that materialistic, always a good thing) but the extreme social conservatism here is just too much for me to handle. I don't mind if they keep their "values" to themselves and apply to them to their own personal lives, but when they push they shove their "values" in other peoples faces, that drives me nuts. Once I'm out of grad school, I would like to move somewhere with more like-minded people and more to do. Part of the issue here is probably that I'm young; I want to get out there and experience new places. Once I have a husband and kids, I will probably be much less interested in exciting attractions and the sort.

Old 01-05-2012, 10:06 PM

20 posts, read 28,291 times
Well, as a neighbor to the east I can't really tell you my theories on Indiana as they are not going to be relevant.

BUT, I know my Sister lived in Southern Indiana (along the Ohio river) and recently moved to Houston, Texas. She tells me everyday what she would give to be back in Indiana.

- I think people having pride in where they live is hard to find anyway, I certainly am no fan of my state.

Old 01-05-2012, 10:18 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,510,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by panda_eyes View Post
I have mixed feelings about Indiana. I've lived here for most of my life (mostly rural areas, I admit), and I had a very nice child hood and being a Hoosier is an important part of who I am and always will be no matter where I live. There are a lot of nice, honest, hardworking people here (who generally aren't all that materialistic, always a good thing) but the extreme social conservatism here is just too much for me to handle. I don't mind if they keep their "values" to themselves and apply to them to their own personal lives, but when they push they shove their "values" in other peoples faces, that drives me nuts. Once I'm out of grad school, I would like to move somewhere with more like-minded people and more to do. Part of the issue here is probably that I'm young; I want to get out there and experience new places. Once I have a husband and kids, I will probably be much less interested in exciting attractions and the sort.
Indianapolis would be better.
Also i am amazed people do that as a conservative i have those same values but its not ok to shove your beliefs onto someone. so i am shocked they would do something like that.

Old 01-06-2012, 01:29 AM

7 posts, read 17,958 times
I used to really dislike living in Indiana. I am only now just out of my teens, but I feel like the Hoosier state is growing on me. I haven't been many places yet, and I want to see the majority of this country and other places throughout the world, but I think of Indiana as my nice, "normal" place to return. Things here are just kind of .. normal.

As a very socially liberal person, however, I still feel a little uncomfortable time to time about being in Indiana. I am not a typical, average Indiana guy, so it feels odd to know you don't quite "fit in" with a place that has such a huge, obvious "norm". But, so far nobody has managed to scare me away.

Old 01-06-2012, 05:46 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,277,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin2010 View Post
As a very socially liberal person, however, I still feel a little uncomfortable time to time about being in Indiana. I am not a typical, average Indiana guy, so it feels odd to know you don't quite "fit in" with a place that has such a huge, obvious "norm". But, so far nobody has managed to scare me away.
If you don't mind, in what part of Indiana do you live?

Old 01-06-2012, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin2010 View Post
I used to really dislike living in Indiana. I am only now just out of my teens, but I feel like the Hoosier state is growing on me. I haven't been many places yet, and I want to see the majority of this country and other places throughout the world, but I think of Indiana as my nice, "normal" place to return. Things here are just kind of .. normal.

I agree.
Indiana is a great place to live.
But other places are best served as vacation destinations.

Old 02-14-2012, 06:55 PM

23 posts, read 31,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
I agree.
Indiana is a great place to live.
But other places are best served as vacation destinations.
Yeah, vacation destinations....
Career destinations....
Places to raise a family destinations....

Oh wait...

Who am I kidding? We all know this forum is swamped with people who will fling crap if so much as anyone says anything about their PRECIOUS state of Indiana. Guess what, I grew up here too and it sucks. I guess its no skin off your nose once I get out of here but I find it hilarious how some of the people here act as if there are no problems or other things happening in this state that need DESPERATE improving. I guess some people enjoy having those rose-tinted glasses super-glued to their faces and I guess the fumes from said glue puts some extra ease on your mind.

Old 02-14-2012, 07:03 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,529,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzureBlueWolrd View Post
.... but I find it hilarious how some of the people here act as if there are no problems or other things happening in this state that need DESPERATE improving.
You're familiar with a place in the U.S. that doesn't have problems or other things that need "DESPERATE improving"??

Old 02-14-2012, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzureBlueWolrd View Post
Yeah, vacation destinations....
Career destinations....
Places to raise a family destinations....

Oh wait...

Who am I kidding? We all know this forum is swamped with people who will fling crap if so much as anyone says anything about their PRECIOUS state of Indiana. Guess what, I grew up here too and it sucks. I guess its no skin off your nose once I get out of here but I find it hilarious how some of the people here act as if there are no problems or other things happening in this state that need DESPERATE improving. I guess some people enjoy having those rose-tinted glasses super-glued to their faces and I guess the fumes from said glue puts some extra ease on your mind.
Extremely Stupid and Ignorant comment so no need to give my full reponse.

Old 02-14-2012, 07:17 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,529,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
Extremely Stupid and Ignorant comment so no need to give my full reponse.
I wouldn't be so dismissive. Of course Indiana has problems that require attention. No sane person would try to argue otherwise. Indiana is not a utopia. But I know of no place on Earth that doesn't have problems. Some are worse than others, certainly, but I still feel like Indiana stacks up OK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana