Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2013, 05:22 PM

27 posts, read 68,308 times

Advertisements

I lived in Indiana for about 10 years and loved it .If given a chance I would move back in a flash.

Old 07-23-2013, 07:09 AM

53 posts, read 108,728 times
Default ???????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetailSlave View Post
I lived in Indiana for about 10 years and loved it .If given a chance I would move back in a flash.
Where did you live in Indiana ?
We are looking at Huntington from a distance away.

Old 07-25-2013, 06:24 AM

20 posts, read 58,667 times
Default I love Dallas

lived there 25 yrs. has the best night life, resturants , hotel , women, and jobs. Only thing I didn't like was the july and august. Why we have air condition. Texas is the fast grow state and also has the best musician are from Texas and has the most money and Entrepreneurs in the country and best dance clubs and I could go on for days

this person is clueless look at Austin TX the fastest growing city and best night life and music any where.

Want be successful go to Texas and you like the hot women come to Texas.

Yes it can get hot besides that it is one best states I ever lived in for night life and business and hot looking women.

Ft Worth is Nice also.

that dude is crazy saying he didn't like Dallas it has $$$$$$ money and Jobs.

Old 07-25-2013, 06:31 AM

Default I hate Indiana

no jobs, Poor state and most rudest people I ever met and horrible leaders in this state.

only city growing and making money in Indianapolis.

State is very hard to find a job and nothing to do but eat or drink in a dive bar here. Also to many rednecks in the rude state. Not talking about Indianapolis. only growing and has good business leaders but it does have a high Murder rate 17.5 per 100,000 people.

Old 07-25-2013, 07:24 AM

Default Indianapolis crime rate jumps to 30-year high in 2012

Indianapolis crime rate jumps to 30-year high in 2012

Posted: Jun 05, 2013 5:23 PM EDTUpdated: Jun 05, 2013 5:24 PM EDTBy Richard Essex - bio | email

[CENTER][RIGHT]

[/RIGHT]

[RIGHT]

[/RIGHT]
Gary Thrapp was the victim of a shooting last September.
[/CENTER]

INDIANAPOLIS -Violent crime in Indianapolis has jumped to its highest rate in nearly 30 years.
In 2011, police reported more than 9,100 violent crimes in the city. That number jumped to more than 9,900 last year.
The violent crime rate had been going down steadily for a number of years, but that trend has turned around.
It has not quite been a year since Gary Thrapp was attacked. His scars are still healing and his sense of awareness is on high alert.
"A lot of people asking me, they are most curious about 'What does it feel like to be shot?'," said Thrapp.
Like it or not, in September of last year, Thrapp became a statistic. The prominent north side jeweler was robbed at gunpoint and shot in his home. The attempt on his life and robbery make him a victim of one of the 9,900 violent crimes committed in Indianapolis.
For six minutes, Thrapp fought the intruders.
"Their leaving was hastened by me being shot, because they brought zip ties, they zip-tied my wife's arms behind her back," he said.
About a month later, Thrapp was back at work. By the end of 2012, Indianapolis had become a more violent place than the year before, with 700 more violent crimes, which included 101 murders, 436 rapes, 3,442 more robberies than the year before.
"Clearly, I think people need to be...to take more responsibility for their own safety. The police just can't do it and we can't rely on them nor blame them for what we should be doing for ourselves," Thrapp said.
It seems some people are taking their safety and security serious. So far this year, 268,000 federal firearm background checks have been done in Indiana, which is on pace to be a record year.
Indianapolis Metro Police are not surprised by the FBI numbers, considering they gave the feds the numbers. Police say that violent crime numbers had been dropping for years.
IMPD Lt. Chris Bailey says in 2011 they had a lower than normal crime rate and comparing those numbers to an average year like 2012 is not really reflective of the overall crime trend in Marion County.
This year, the department is concerned about the criminal homicide rate, which is up 48 percent from year-to-date 2012.
Metro police say they are concerned about the number of assaults and homicides and have been working on a community-wide plan to bring them down

Old 08-17-2013, 03:27 PM

2 posts, read 4,027 times
Just spent 3 days spare time reading all 60 pages of this thread and have come away with the feeling that an awfull lot of "hate" is going on - here. The main thing I notice is that folks who say they "hate" Indiana or "hate" living in Indiana are mostly those who have had unsuccessful lives in general. It isn't Indiana that has undermined them - but some of the choices they have made. I believe Indiana is a microism of the U.S. - in fact for the last 100 years it has often been considered the most "typical" or the most average State in the Union. California is the most desireable - New York the richest - Florida the most layed-back .... and beachie-peachy - but Indiana is most like back-home U.S.A. When I used to live in the Bay Area and Lake Tahoe in CA for 26 years you never asked a new acquaintance "...where do you live?" - you always asked them "Where are you from?" And the answer was invariably another State. (Strange though - seldom anyone from Indiana). So - if you are under 30 and haven't yet seen the "world" by all means go and take a look. A good look - and possessing an open mind don't be surprised if you notice people being people - they tend to be more like you than you thought. If you continue to "hate" however you may believe it is also that same emotion you now see in them. Shed the feeling - it is holding you back.

Old 08-23-2013, 07:51 AM

291 posts, read 949,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cay-O-K View Post
Just spent 3 days spare time reading all 60 pages of this thread and have come away with the feeling that an awfull lot of "hate" is going on - here. The main thing I notice is that folks who say they "hate" Indiana or "hate" living in Indiana are mostly those who have had unsuccessful lives in general. It isn't Indiana that has undermined them - but some of the choices they have made. I believe Indiana is a microism of the U.S. - in fact for the last 100 years it has often been considered the most "typical" or the most average State in the Union. California is the most desireable - New York the richest - Florida the most layed-back .... and beachie-peachy - but Indiana is most like back-home U.S.A. When I used to live in the Bay Area and Lake Tahoe in CA for 26 years you never asked a new acquaintance "...where do you live?" - you always asked them "Where are you from?" And the answer was invariably another State. (Strange though - seldom anyone from Indiana). So - if you are under 30 and haven't yet seen the "world" by all means go and take a look. A good look - and possessing an open mind don't be surprised if you notice people being people - they tend to be more like you than you thought. If you continue to "hate" however you may believe it is also that same emotion you now see in them. Shed the feeling - it is holding you back.

Well said!!!!

Too much hate in this thread. If you are unhappy with your life, change it! Life is too short to live with hate and discontent. Life is what you make of it!

Peace,
wc@h

Old 08-23-2013, 08:44 AM

8 posts, read 29,363 times
Default yes.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnenwende View Post
I just feel neutral about Indiana. I don't love it or hate it. There is nothing compelling about it keeping me here, beyond the fact that I have to wait for my tax check to come in to move elsewhere. I don't think where I am going is OMG11!!!!111! SO MUCH BETTER 10090482590%%%, but it is a better fit in terms of my and my husband's lifestyle and what we want from an area.

I would recommend Indiana for people looking for a quiet, stable place to raise their families. That is what it is.
Dear Verdana,
I agree. Indiana is a good place to live and work. I been out of it for 15 years. There are a lot of good people, places to live, and things to do. I'll be moving back in the near future.
Tom

Old 07-07-2014, 04:25 PM

2 posts, read 2,720 times
Despise it, especially having lived in New York & visited several other cities. I will give the PRO's & CONS instead of writing a long novel (beware...there are not many PROS)

*CONS*
- Public transportation is a joke (& I drive)...a light rail system was needed like early 2000s, the bill was rejected twice on proposal & is up again later this year I believe. Its almost as if they do not realize to be considered a 'big city'...you need big (mass) transit & not just that indygo....plus the city needs more appeal
- Wants to be a 'big city' without the 'growing pains'.
- HUGE LACK OF cultivation & you can sense it in the ignorance of majority of people (regardless of race, social class, etc)
- Lack of events for minority (no ibe, circle city classic, latin expo , etc do not suffice)
-no identity , generally speaking for the city itself...& you can sense it in people's personality
- Indianapolis combatting with the State of Indiana & its 'old ways of thinking'
- Extremely slow construction
- & a favorite of many.....lack (joke) of skyline.
- Lack of Real Parks/Parks to exercise

*PROS*
- Lot of different people are moving here from other areas (some just to go right back though ha)
- Lot of quiet communities
- some VERY good hearted & just good people in general
-(for entertainment) some of the best basketball comp if you like parks....(& if you can find 1 with the rim..or court still up)
- Reasonable (pardon I have to HAHA at this for anyplace in the States (usa) period) gas prices compared to the rest of the States.

*PRO/CON*
-Everything is in seclusion for the most, if you don't know your way around the city or with someone who does...best to you. (only place I don't know my way around, like many others that aren't from there...is the southside)
-Drive 5 mins almost anywhere & your scene can drastically change (good or bad)

.....could write many more points, but I decided to keep it simply simplistic. This is not the city for diversity or that vibrant aura.

Last edited by ArcLive; 07-07-2014 at 04:26 PM.. Reason: spacing

Old 03-11-2015, 11:18 PM

2 posts, read 3,075 times
Considering a family move. Need some insight. I would be leaving all family and friends and need resources figured out. I hear the schooling is not that great. I have school age children. Wondering what the job market is like. Housing sounds more expensive to me (350k is average where I am) but here is what at the stats won't tell you... My apologies if I offend anyone in advance! I am more concerned of the moral input on my children. I have heard there is a big race issue. I have raised my children not to see race but the person themselves. Knowing the history of the south, I am wondering if this has improved with time or would everything I have taught them not be modeled in certain parts of this state? Thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana