Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2015, 06:12 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,270,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker49 View Post
Considering a family move. Need some insight. I would be leaving all family and friends and need resources figured out. I hear the schooling is not that great. I have school age children. Wondering what the job market is like. Housing sounds more expensive to me (350k is average where I am) but here is what at the stats won't tell you... My apologies if I offend anyone in advance! I am more concerned of the moral input on my children. I have heard there is a big race issue. I have raised my children not to see race but the person themselves. Knowing the history of the south, I am wondering if this has improved with time or would everything I have taught them not be modeled in certain parts of this state? Thank you
Your post is confusing to me. "Knowing the history of the south"? I'm not sure what the South has to do with Indiana. Are you talking about southern Indiana? "Housing sounds more expensive to me (350k is average where I am)". I don't think you could find any city in Indiana that has a median home price approaching 350k. Even Carmel, one of the more affluent cities in the state, has a median home price of $285k. Zionsville is $328k and that is probably the most expensive city or town in the state. I have no idea where you're getting the idea that housing is more expensive than 350k in Indiana. You also never said where you are looking to move. Indiana is a big state covering a lot of ground north to south. A lot is different between South Bend and Evansville, landscape, culture, climate, geography. We're going to need a lot more information. You're probably better off as well starting a new thread than adding on to the end of this one.

Old 03-12-2015, 08:43 AM

35,081 posts, read 31,322,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker49 View Post
Considering a family move. Need some insight. I would be leaving all family and friends and need resources figured out. I hear the schooling is not that great. I have school age children. Wondering what the job market is like. Housing sounds more expensive to me (350k is average where I am) but here is what at the stats won't tell you... My apologies if I offend anyone in advance! I am more concerned of the moral input on my children. I have heard there is a big race issue. I have raised my children not to see race but the person themselves. Knowing the history of the south, I am wondering if this has improved with time or would everything I have taught them not be modeled in certain parts of this state? Thank you
I guess you're coming from some rich coastal area where the schools are funded by high property taxes, and the coffers are well-kept because of high property values.

$350k will get you a really nice home in virtually every city in Indiana, likely including Zionsville. Suburbs of Indianapolis like Fishers and Noblesville are also more affordable than Carmel and Zionsville, and have excellent schools and low crime themselves. There are other more affordable suburbs with good schools around Indianapolis, like Brownsburg, Plainfield, and Greenwood, and other nice places throughout the state. Like anywhere else, Indiana has its good and not so good areas.

I'm from Tennessee and I've also lived in Virginia and South Carolina. That is the South. Indiana is NOT the South, in any way, shape, or form. There is a "country" vibe in a lot of places, but that doesn't make it "Southern."

"Moral input?" The biggest factor of moral input is going to be the parents. Granted, I think race relations have gotten worse everywhere under Obama, but I don't think Indiana is going to be worse, on average, than any other place.

Old 03-26-2015, 06:44 AM

2 posts, read 3,072 times
Thank you so much for your input. I think its a state ivwilk have to consider!

Old 03-28-2015, 01:45 PM

145 posts, read 274,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSL63087 View Post
I'm from New Albany which is next to Louisville, KY and I am somewhat suprised at how many people I talk to seem like they really love living around here. I'm not really posting this to rant or anything I'm just wondering what makes people like it so much? Is it something that I don't see or what? The cost of living is reasonable I guess but after seeing some other cities in other parts of the country, the Louisville area is far behind.

I am planning to move away to the Dallas/Fort Worth area within a year or two, likely permanantly. I grew up here and never liked it at all. I don't like the weather, it gets too cold in the winter time and the early spring and late fall are usually pretty much too cold too, making for about 5 months of cold weather. I don't mind the heat in the summer I just don't like the cold. Another reason is that I don't think there is much at all to do around here. I am a huge sports fan and hate not having any pro sports teams. Yeah you have U of L but A) I don't like them and B) I'm much more of a pro kind of person. The Bats are a joke to me although I would agree that they have made the best out of what they have. For triple A, the stadium is pretty nice. I just never did like it around here. Am I missing something or are the people too narrow minded to see that there are better places or maybe this is just where they are from and don't know any different?

I in no way am intending to offend anyone or start anything up... I'm just seeing if anyone else views it the way I do.
Im live in Indy, and not a day goes by that I don't think about leaving this dump. It's nominally better compared to the rest of Indiana, but the only thing it's really got going for it compared to other similar sized metros nationally is affordability, but the last two years of living here has given me a whole new appreciation of the saying "you get what you pay for".

Old 03-28-2015, 06:24 PM

35,081 posts, read 31,322,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViolentDisasters View Post
Im live in Indy, and not a day goes by that I don't think about leaving this dump. It's nominally better compared to the rest of Indiana, but the only thing it's really got going for it compared to other similar sized metros nationally is affordability, but the last two years of living here has given me a whole new appreciation of the saying "you get what you pay for".
How is Indy much different than most other 2 million metros outside of newer ones in the Sunbelt?

Old 03-30-2015, 03:41 PM

145 posts, read 274,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
How is Indy much different than most other 2 million metros outside of newer ones in the Sunbelt?
Compared to places like Baltimore/Kansas City/St. Louis/Pittsburgh/Milwaukee/Cincinnati/New Orleans, Indianapolis has a lot less preserved historical architecture, is far more sprawling in character, has a very few distinct neighborhoods (and those that exist are very spatially disjointed from one another), has less diversity in job opportunities, has fewer inner-city shopping options (perhaps the one notable exception to this being Circle Center Mall downtown), and has inferior walkability/public transportation.

Last edited by ViolentDisasters; 03-30-2015 at 03:51 PM..

Old 03-31-2015, 06:12 AM

6,344 posts, read 11,094,986 times
I won't be staying in Indy much longer. Been here for a year and a half that is enough. While it is a bit cleaner than KC (less garbage on the highways) city streets are in far worse shape from potholes and the drivers are almost as bad. I've actually seen up to five cars at a time drive through a single red light after it has turned. Never saw that in KC. The people are pretty darn arrogant and conformist too. They try to get you to conform to their lifestyles and if you don't the trouble begins. After constantly hearing from people that they don't like me (among other things) I've decided I don't need to spend any more time trying to talk to people except at work when I have to.

Air quality is terrible. Every morning when I wake up I can't hear out of my left ear. Takes a couple of hours to clear out. That only happened about three times in nearly 8 years of living in KC. When I drive towards Cincinnati my sinus condition improves considerably. When I get to Cincy I can at least breathe better than Indy. When I drive back to Indy the issues from the sinus condition come back and far worse than they are in Cincy.

Very nepotistic in the work place. Worse than KC in that respect. Who you know, sleep with or who's ass you kiss seems to be more important than how well you perform your job. Typical of a backwater. My brother who lives here has also noted this and I've seen other people mention this as well.

In summation, Indy has a long way to go before it can be seriously considered as a modern, open minded metro area.

Old 03-31-2015, 04:52 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,539,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
I won't be staying in Indy much longer. Been here for a year and a half that is enough. While it is a bit cleaner than KC (less garbage on the highways) city streets are in far worse shape from potholes and the drivers are almost as bad. I've actually seen up to five cars at a time drive through a single red light after it has turned. Never saw that in KC. The people are pretty darn arrogant and conformist too. They try to get you to conform to their lifestyles and if you don't the trouble begins. After constantly hearing from people that they don't like me (among other things) I've decided I don't need to spend any more time trying to talk to people except at work when I have to.

Air quality is terrible. Every morning when I wake up I can't hear out of my left ear. Takes a couple of hours to clear out. That only happened about three times in nearly 8 years of living in KC. When I drive towards Cincinnati my sinus condition improves considerably. When I get to Cincy I can at least breathe better than Indy. When I drive back to Indy the issues from the sinus condition come back and far worse than they are in Cincy.

Very nepotistic in the work place. Worse than KC in that respect. Who you know, sleep with or who's ass you kiss seems to be more important than how well you perform your job. Typical of a backwater. My brother who lives here has also noted this and I've seen other people mention this as well.

In summation, Indy has a long way to go before it can be seriously considered as a modern, open minded metro area.
Judging from your posts all over C-D, you've never been happy anywhere.

Old 04-01-2015, 05:49 AM

6,344 posts, read 11,094,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Judging from your posts all over C-D, you've never been happy anywhere.
Not entirely correct. When I lived in the KC area, one suburb and one rural town I experienced no problems. One suburb I had a few problems at the start but things smoothed out after a few months. But both times I lived in the city and then bought a home in another small town I had a lot of problems. Crime, threats against me etc.

Even if I liked Indy I could not stay here. The sinus problems that I have developed here are really bad and I would have to live at least 40 miles outside of the city before I experience some relief. Kokomo and points north are better but the SE Indiana region seems best in that respect.

I've lived in ten different states and in some of the places I've lived I was happy and experienced minimal trouble. I may have a tendency to gripe most about the areas I've had the most trouble though and coincidentally each one of these areas I lived in after discovering city-data.com.

Old 04-01-2015, 11:19 PM

3,378 posts, read 9,211,264 times
I truly have admiration for folks that are actually happy living in the state of Indiana. My hats off to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana