Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2018, 01:54 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,670,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
How much money does the NRA waste every year bribing the politicians.
NRA campaign donations aren't bribes (they only make up about 3.3% of the money Marco Rubio's campaign received), they're more reminder of size of this voting bloc, the +14 million voters who feel they are represented by the NRA.

The NRA spends a fraction of what Michael Bloomberg spends on political donations once you include the millions he gives to prop up his "Moms" groups and to buy new restrictive laws (e.g. in Colorado).

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNBC
The bulk of that (approximately $10 million/year) doesn't actually go to candidates as the hysterical tweets and finger pointers seem to believe. It's spent on those "issue ads" that you see mostly on cable news channels during election years. But even if those ads are extremely influential, they are a much different animal than direct campaign donations to individual congressional and presidential candidates.

Old 03-24-2018, 01:56 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,331,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
The snowflakes are in Congress and several there are afraid of the NRA. The cynics are also snowflakes. The Parkland students have displayed both courage and class. Fixed it for you.
Some of them, admittedly--and proudly, have real courage and minds capable of objective thought, but that won't come to the surface until they've moved closer to being on their own and not parroting what both camps within the current polarization are attempting to spoon-feed their respective clientele.

If you think that your own ideas "fix it" for everybody else, you have become part of the problem.

Old 03-24-2018, 02:12 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,247,100 times
Man....the word "courage" sure has weakened over the years.

Old 03-24-2018, 02:41 PM

24,482 posts, read 17,220,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
Man....the word "courage" sure has weakened over the years.

It sure has.
When someone steps up to speak with the Left that is like coasting downhill.
When someone speaks out against the Left and their agenda that is real courage because to do so is opening ones self up to all kinds of negative challenges, smear campaigns and personal attacks on yourself and family.

If I can quote Michelle Obama in a way that she never meant it "when they go low we go high" ..

Just try to say something pro gun, pro NRA today and you will be buried alive by the folks of high morals.

Old 03-24-2018, 02:45 PM

I feel bad to admit this but every time I see and hear that David Hogg speak down to us like we are a bunch of morons I can't help but think "what a P*** ant".

I know he is only 17, just a kid, but there is something about his manner, speech and look that is so smug.

Old 03-24-2018, 02:49 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,670,073 times
Post Dare to go against the party line and the left will treat you like Kyle Kashuv, leave you off the TIME magazine cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Just try to say something pro gun, pro NRA today and you will be buried alive by the folks of high morals.
At best you'll be strategically cut out of the narrative, like Parkland student Kyle Kashuv.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahoo
the 16-year-old said that he was in a classroom when the shooting began and ended up hiding in a closet for two hours until a SWAT team could clear the area. Kashuv said he had never met Nikolas Cruz but did know one of the students who was killed. According to Inside Edition, he was fourth in his class.
. . .
In the weeks since the tragedy, Kashuv seems to have distanced himself from classmates like Hogg and called out what he considered to be the hypocrisy of their comments. He’s specifically expressed outrage at Hogg for reportedly hanging up on President Trump during a phone conversation about gun control. He’s also sternly against the group’s main goal: limiting access to AR-15s.
. . .
While his classmates were calling out the National Rifle Association (NRA) — and companies that profit from it — on Twitter, Kashuv went on Fox News to say that he disagreed with their approach. “People have been pegging the NRA as a scary boogeyman that truly doesn’t care about the kids … and I don’t think that’s true at all,” Kashuv said. “The NRA represents 5 million-plus American citizens — gun-law-abiding citizens — and simply painting the NRA as the issue here, it kind of detracts from the actual changes that could be made … targeting the proper aspects like mental health reform and making sure that we deliver all the information to the proper agencies referring to background checks.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7KtAseCNHk

Old 03-24-2018, 02:59 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,195,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Some of them, admittedly--and proudly, have real courage and minds capable of objective thought, but that won't come to the surface until they've moved closer to being on their own and not parroting what both camps within the current polarization are attempting to spoon-feed their respective clientele.

If you think that your own ideas "fix it" for everybody else, you have become part of the problem.
I said "Fixed it for you" in my last post, not for everyone. IMO, supporting these students is part of the solution. I may do a thread with a poll. I predict the supporters of these students will significantly outnumber their detractors. So some people can continue dissing them, but they will continue to make progress. That will only provide extra motivation.

Old 03-24-2018, 03:00 PM

That Kyle Kashuv seems just as articulate as any of his anti gun classmates but his message does not fit the agenda of the Left. It is so wrong to silence him and kids like him because their message is just as important as the anti gunners.

Journalism is dead now that they do not present both sides of an issue. It is a sad day in America when so many can be manipulated like so many zombies looking for fresh brains that they themselves once had.

Old 03-24-2018, 03:07 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,331,262 times
For the majority of the past ten years, I've worked summers at a major theme/water park -- part of a national chain. Last year, for the first time, as part of our mandatory (and repeated each year) pre-season training, we were introduced to a video entitled "Run, Hide, Fight":

https://www.fbi.gov/services/cirg

A sad testimony on our times, of course, but it also serves to underscore the contention that in some circumstances, the issue can boil down to "flight or fight". "Our park" draws a clientele from a large area, ranging from rural areas to "ethnic enclaves" within he large cities; in addition, we also maintain an annual tradition of recruiting "international interns", which includes students from former Marxist, Islamic and Third World nations. The overwhelming majority of our patrons behave with dignity and respect, but emotions can boil over, and we all recognize that our first active-shooter incident will occur in our last season.

As an employee of an unwilling "magnet" for the possibility of violence, but one which operates under the discipline -- financial as well as social -- of an increasingly open society -- I feel that there are some instances in which our educational system could learn a thing or two from the private sector.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 03-24-2018 at 04:08 PM..

Old 03-24-2018, 03:17 PM

3,288 posts, read 2,357,189 times
These students sound like a bunch of ignorant teens, which is what they are. I can understand their emotions but tha is all it is. If you banned all guns today, you will have as many of these shootings in the future. What the hell are they going to protest then? Let's take away all the illegal guns from the crinkles and bad people. And how are they going to control that outside,of this country? They can't. If you think anyone couldn't buy an illegal gun that was manufactured outside of the USA, you are as ignorant as these protesting kids. There is no answer to this. The guns are already out there and will always be. Banning them in our country does nothing to alleviate that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates