Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 09:18 AM

25,884 posts, read 20,833,206 times

Advertisements

They just can't help themselves, can they?

He was running completely unopposed and then had to hit the twitter.
In a tweet, since deleted (of course) he nastily insulted Emma Gonzalez and David Hogg because even children are not off limits to these cretins.

"State representative Leslie Gibson, a Maine Republican who was running unopposed for his seat, gained a challenger on Thursday after posting tweets that insulted two students from Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School who have become vocal gun control activists.
Eryn Gilchrist said she never intended to run for political office, but was motivated to oppose Gibson after reading his comments. She said she was already in the process of gaining the necessary signatures to enter the race when Hogg made his Twitter plea."

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...ting-survivors

As we saw in PA, seats that have been completely safe and haven't seen a challenge from the other party for years are now seeing challengers.

No idea about Ms Gilchrist's chances, but win or lose, it is these small steps that inspire others to join the fray.
This is how a wave starts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2018, 10:35 AM

77,770 posts, read 105,369,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post

In a tweet, since deleted (of course) he nastily insulted Emma Gonzalez and David Hogg because even children are not off limits to these cretins.

"State representative Leslie Gibson, a Maine Republican who was running unopposed for his seat, gained a challenger on Thursday after posting tweets that insulted two students from Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School who have become vocal gun control activists.
Eryn Gilchrist said she never intended to run for political office, but was motivated to oppose Gibson after reading his comments. She said she was already in the process of gaining the necessary signatures to enter the race when Hogg made his Twitter plea."

As we saw in PA, seats that have been completely safe and haven't seen a challenge from the other party for years are now seeing challengers.

No idea about Ms Gilchrist's chances, but win or lose, it is these small steps that inspire others to join the fray.
at least you are not going so far as to say he will lose like some of your liberal friends are saying about other up in the air races.

Old 03-16-2018, 12:55 PM

29,265 posts, read 22,595,504 times
That's what cocky arrogance can bring.
Gibson was running unopposed until he took some cruel and unwarranted shots at a couple of kids. One of them, David Hogg, promptly got on Twitter and called out for someone to do their civic duty and oppose this jerk. It didn't matter to him who the person was, or from which party.
Gilchrist had never even thought of entering the race until she read his tweet. She's a complete novice, just a young wife and mother who has never been politically engaged past the point of voting, but he appealed to her patriotism.

Is Gibson now in sudden trouble? It's too soon to tell, but his comments were very offensive. As a father, I would be infuriated if I saw them attacking any of my children, and I was almost as angry that he did it to kids I don't know. Adult bullies all too often abuse kids first, or when they are such cowards they would never try to abuse another adult, and I despise these people.

But if Gibson doesn't break out in a worried sweat now, he's not only a bully; he's a fool.
When Republican New Jersey incumbent John Carman mocked the women's march in January 2017, his arrogance moved Ashley Bennett, another first-time housewife, to enter the race, and she whooped his butt in the November election.

It would benefit Gibson to consider Carman's fate. They probably knew each other in the House. If it happened to Carman, it could happen to Gibson. There is always a level of stupidity that the voters cannot abide, and he may have hit that level.

Nobody approves of an adult who picks on kids for the idle amusement of it.

And no one ever picks on women and gets away with it.

Old 03-16-2018, 03:32 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,676,750 times
Good, I really hope the idiot loses. I hope she uses his tweet all the way thru the election to show what a moron Gibson is.

Old 03-16-2018, 04:04 PM

8,839 posts, read 4,837,407 times
And..he's gone. Buh-bye!

Beleaguered Leslie Gibson abandons state House race, seeks ‘peace and quiet’ - Lewiston Sun Journal

Old 03-16-2018, 04:06 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,455,904 times
Republicans are such cowards. They dodge elections like they dodge military service

Old 03-16-2018, 04:21 PM

18,981 posts, read 9,149,297 times
Wow, he was all gung-ho when he was all alone in the race. I guess he can't handle competition.

Basically he was done in by a few high schoolers. In a way, Gibson is a just a different kind of casualty of America's gun culture, the kind I hope to see a lot more of in the future.

I'm loving these kids!

Old 03-16-2018, 05:59 PM

23,855 posts, read 13,885,369 times
My guess is he's been getting an earful from many different quarters.

Well - if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.

He did seem to wilt rather readily.

Old 03-16-2018, 06:09 PM

39,197 posts, read 51,614,619 times
We have seen a lot of the power of social media to do bad, but here we have an example of it doing good.

Old 03-16-2018, 08:14 PM

5,998 posts, read 3,759,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post

Ding ding ding....we have a winner!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections