Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2018, 09:50 AM

42,839 posts, read 26,242,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post
Do you normally accept an editorial piece from a magazine as some sort of research or statement of fact? Do we normally malign people who do not support our views, and expecially in opinion based material?

https://crimeresearch.org/2015/06/co...us-and-europe/

This is at least an article citing references and statistics that are included from organizations such as our own FBI. Sorry if I find it to be more reputable.
Crime Research is John Lott's creation and most of the data is fake or cherry picked. The FBI doesn't support his data, they don't compile statistics for mass shootings in other countries. And yes I will malign John Lott, he plays fast and loose with the facts and I don't have any respect for that.

"As undergraduates at the University of Oklahoma, DeFilippis and Hughes began looking carefully into Lott's research. They found that his models only worked under strict and often unrealistic conditions. Adding new variables often produced results that didn't match real-world observations—a conclusion other researchers have also reached.

When challenged on his research, Lott has, in the past, resorted to odd behavior. He admitted to using an alternate online persona named Mary Rosh, who would defend Lott's articles. "I shouldn't have used it, but I didn't want to get directly involved with my real name because I could not commit large blocks of time to discussions," Lott said once the Rosh debacle was uncovered. Lott has also come under fire for writing an op-ed under the name of a real woman who had a stalker and became a gun advocate after her college would not provide her with adequate protection. Even pro-gun-rights outlets like Townhall and Reason have criticized these efforts.

And Lott has never publicly shared the data behind one of his most-cited statistics—that 98 percent of defensive gun use doesn't even require a gun to be fired, just pulled out to scare away the attacker or intruder. When the late sociologist Otis Dudley Duncan, who pioneered the field of human ecology at the University of Chicago, asked Lott for more raw data, Lott said he'd lost it in a hard drive crash"

https://psmag.com/magazine/inside-th...gun-researcher

Old 03-25-2018, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Its not the battle cry of gun owners. Its the battle cry of a kids ball team, lol. The irony is how deep and sublime violence penetrates the culture at large - all while holding a sign against violence. We call for violence in regard to a violent game.
It was co-opted by gun owners who feel that their 2A rights are endangered after Sheriff John Hanlin in Oregon popularized it

Old 03-25-2018, 09:56 AM

4,005 posts, read 2,080,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Crime Research is John Lott's creation and most of the data is fake or cherry picked. The FBI doesn't support his data, they don't compile statistics for mass shootings in other countries. And yes I will malign John Lott, he plays fast and loose with the facts and I don't have any respect for that.
[/i]
https://psmag.com/magazine/inside-th...gun-researcher
He used the FBI and other data to support what he wrote. He employs the scientific method, whether you agree with his conclusions or not. You cite material that employs opinion alone, and continues to.

Can you not find any facts or statistics to support your views? Are there no articles written that do, and also support your position? All I'm seeing posted is akin to, "my dog is better than your dog". Proves nothing and solves nothing.

Old 03-25-2018, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
It was co-opted by gun owners who feel that their 2A rights are endangered after Sheriff John Hanlin in Oregon popularized it
Okay, not in the photo posted it isn't, but okay.

Old 03-25-2018, 10:18 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,722,465 times
Where were these kids during the Stop Bullying March??? Maybe sitting at the "we're special"table in the lunchroom????

Old 03-25-2018, 10:27 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,667,498 times
Angry Buzzfeed truncates David's speech to avoid showing this image at the end...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
I think it's cool the kids are standing up for something they believe in.

HOWEVER, the irony in the following picture is just too thick. Clearly, the student hasn't learned about the Battle of Thermopylae.
David Hogg maybe should have paid a little more attention in history class, at least to the pictures. Good thing David ditched the "skinny tie & black armband" look, but the optics of this are not great:

Buzzfeed intentionally cut their coverage of Hogg's speech short to avoid showing this image at the end, see twitter.com/BuzzFeedNews/status/977598600304910336 for confirmation

Old 03-25-2018, 10:44 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,860,569 times
Quote:
Do you normally accept an editorial piece from a magazine as some sort of research or statement of fact? Do we normally malign people who do not support our views, and expecially in opinion based material?

https://crimeresearch.org/2015/06/co...us-and-europe/

This is at least an article citing references and statistics that are included from organizations such as our own FBI. Sorry if I find it to be more reputable.
He shoots... He Scores... AND THE CROWD GOES WILD!

Old 03-25-2018, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
He shoots... He Scores... AND THE CROWD GOES WILD!
a crowd of one Sporty? That's sad.

Old 03-25-2018, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
David Hogg maybe should have paid a little more attention in history class, at least to the pictures. Good thing David ditched the "skinny tie & black armband" look, but the optics of this are not great:

Buzzfeed intentionally cut their coverage of Hogg's speech short to avoid showing this image at the end, see twitter.com/BuzzFeedNews/status/977598600304910336 for confirmation

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/vi...e_have_to.html

You know, I never really looked at what this kid stands for before. After reading what he says, I'm not picking up that he is smart or articulate. The photo analogy is a good one. He comes across as rather militant.

Old 03-25-2018, 11:43 AM

15,408 posts, read 6,193,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSeligman View Post
They mean well, but they're letting their emotions get in front of facts......... its sad really, and NTM some are eating it up like its cake, mainly the media
President Trump never lets emotions get in the way either, not even on Twitter. All things considered, they are not perfect and no one is, but I commend them. They have been seriously underestimated. These kids are winners.

Last edited by chessgeek; 03-25-2018 at 11:56 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates