Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2018, 08:56 AM

24,476 posts, read 17,220,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
...and what about the rights of the 99.999% of us gun owners who are NOT nutjobs, who have not broken a single law, and who are the ones paying the college tuitions of these kids?? You want to disarm the very people who stand between the life we are living now, and government tyranny.

Don't be so quick to give up your rights. Yes, they are YOUR rights too, not just ours, that you want to hand over to the the very bureaucrats that would love to turn us into the same kind of society you can find in the UK, the EU, Australia, and Canada. [shudder] Move there, if you like it so well.

This is what bothers me about these anti gun poster child kids. They are advocating to destroy their rights as well as ours. Rights that they might not even fully understand. They only see and speak about the negative when it comes to guns, they say nothing of the positive.
Those kids were victims of a deranged killer with a gun that indiscriminately murdered innocent people and hopefully they will never find themselves on the wrong end of a gun ever again but there are plenty of people that have literally had their lives saved by having a gun.
These do gooder kids would take that right to life, the right to protect oneself from everyone.

I don't think they understand that.

Old 03-25-2018, 08:59 AM

4,445 posts, read 1,449,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post
Plan, Knowledge, - these kids have done more than anyone has on this issue. The plan and knowledge should come from those elected. But all they do is take the NRA'S money and send thoguht and prayers after yet another shooting happens. Cause they sold their integrity to another terrorist organization. We have a chance to vote them out this fall.

They are sick of seeing their friends being killed. They live in fear at school, at least us Boomers didn't have to grow up with that.

Boy the fear keeps growing in here. And we see it for what it is. Now you want to rasie voting age to 21. lol

How about this video https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...8&&FORM=VDRVRV
Your disdain for the NRA is nothing more than proxy hatred for people who don't share your ideology.

You sense fear in forum posts and know the kids live in fear at school. You're a regular John Edwards. Tell me, what are we all feeling right now?

I think it's more about you trying to link legitimate concerns to irrational feelings in an attempt to shut down conversation. You don't want to know the facts. Let me be the first to tell you that's just not going to work.

and you have the genius Hogg who has come out and stated that clear backpacks are an infringement on constitutional rights but gun confiscation is not. Haha. He still needs to keep his weed hidden I guess.

Any thoughts on the Maryland school shooting where the resource officer stopped the shooter? No? Nothing but crickets. No CNN. No student parades. No celebrity kudos for the guy who undoubtedly saved lives. Perhaps you just want that swept under the rug. Can't have the truth ruin a perfectly good narrative.

Old 03-25-2018, 09:06 AM

42,845 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post
They wouldn't like it so well. Statistics show that based on population alone (the US being much larger and much more populated than the UK, Germany, France etc.) those countries actually have higher rates of mass shootings, even though gun control laws are much stricter.
The only one who ever claimed that was John Lott who is a total fraud.

"Over the decade and a half studied, the researchers found 23 incidents of mass shootings in the other 10 countries, resulting in 200 dead and 231 wounded. In the United States over the same period, there were 133 incidents that left 487 dead and 505 wounded.

We compared mass shooting incidents across countries is to calculate the number of victims per capita -- that is, adjusted for the country’s total population size. Calculating it this way shows the United States in the upper half of the list of 11 countries, ranking higher than Australia, Canada, China, England, France, Germany and Mexico. Still, the U.S. doesn’t rank No. 1. At 0.15 mass shooting fatalities per 100,000 people, the U.S. had a lower rate than Norway (1.3 per 100,000), Finland (0.34 per 100,000) and Switzerland (1.7 per 100,000).

We’ll note that all of these countries had one or two particularly big attacks and have relatively small populations, which have pushed up their per-capita rates. In Norway, that single attack in 2011 left 67 dead by gunfire (plus additional bomb casualties). Finland had two attacks, one that killed eight and one that killed 10. And Switzerland had one incident that killed 14.

Elsass warned PolitiFact of a few caveats about the data. While they believe their database "to be among the most exhaustive compilations available," Elsass noted that it may not include every instance of mass shootings. It also doesn’t include every example of mass killings -- just those committed by firearms, even though mass stabbings are not uncommon in such places as China. Finally, their database doesn’t include acts generally considered to be terrorism, such as the attack in Paris on the satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo."

Is Barack Obama correct that mass killings don't happen in other countries? | PolitiFact

Old 03-25-2018, 09:08 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,863,648 times
I think it's cool the kids are standing up for something they believe in.

HOWEVER, the irony in the following picture is just too thick. Clearly, the student hasn't learned about the Battle of Thermopylae.

If you can't quite make out the text on the sweatshirt, it says "Molon Labe," which in ancient Greek translates as "come and take them." King Xerxes I of Persia, possessing a far larger army, demanded that the Spartans surrender their weapons. King Leonidas I defiantly responded "Molon Labe," or "Come and Take Them."

Old 03-25-2018, 09:16 AM

4,005 posts, read 2,081,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
The only one who ever claimed that was John Lott who is a total fraud.
Do you normally accept an editorial piece from a magazine as some sort of research or statement of fact? Do we normally malign people who do not support our views, and expecially in opinion based material?

https://crimeresearch.org/2015/06/co...us-and-europe/

This is at least an article citing references and statistics that are included from organizations such as our own FBI. Sorry if I find it to be more reputable.

Old 03-25-2018, 09:16 AM

5,104 posts, read 4,832,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
The Parkland shooting survivors turned activists just got the cover of TIME magazine.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/school-sh...110036741.html

I think it is cool that these kids are standing up for something they believe in but they should not be so eager to throw away their constitutional rights. If they choose to not own a gun then that is Ok but they should not dictate to the rest of the country. They should instead work to police their own and setup programs for troubled peers. Time and again we have seen bullied kids either take their own life while other kids that have been tossed aside and left behind due to awkward peer pressure and the inability to fit in which manifests into discipline issues take up a gun "to get back at the world that hates them".

I do think something should be done to curb gun violence and school shootings such as raising the age to 21 to legally purchase a semi automatic rifle but guns like the AR15 should not be outright banned.

What do you think about these new activists getting the cover of TIME magazine and what do you think about their message?

Good for them. The more publicity the better. Can't wait until one or all of them get elected to a state or Federal office.

The Parkland shooting is going to encourage more young people to register to vote and actually vote since the Vietnam war. These young people aren't going away.

Everyone in Florida should be wearing the "1.05 orange price tag" that is brilliant.

Old 03-25-2018, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
Good for them. The more publicity the better. Can't wait until one or all of them get elected to a state or Federal office.

The Parkland shooting is going to encourage more young people to register to vote and actually vote since the Vietnam war. These young people aren't going away.

Everyone in Florida should be wearing the "1.05 orange price tag" that is brilliant.
I think the true brilliance can be found in the comments posted by these handful of students young peers and couterparts, such as:

Michael3 days ago

I'm 18 years old (I'm a senior in high school) and in my opinion, this is OUR mess. WE are locked onto our phones and social media. We see other people's lives and how "great" they are and causes depression, feeling like an outcast, etc. It doesn't help that most "nice" kids are the problem as they make fun of, exclude, and bully what they consider "lesser" people. Sorry kids but this is OUR mess and a mental heathy issue, not a gun and weapon issue.

It's not an adults mess, unless you want to point the finger at the adults that birthed and raised the mentally unhealthy child that pulled a trigger. But, if he cant get a trigger, he can still get explosive and incendiary material, cant he?

Wouldn't it be more effective to address the ills of society? Or, is that too much to ask of a village?

Old 03-25-2018, 09:32 AM

42,845 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
I think it's cool the kids are standing up for something they believe in.

HOWEVER, the irony in the following picture is just too thick. Clearly, the student hasn't learned about the Battle of Thermopylae.

If you can't quite make out the text on the sweatshirt, it says "Molon Labe," which in ancient Greek translates as "come and take them." King Xerxes I of Persia, possessing a far larger army, demanded that the Spartans surrender their weapons. King Leonidas I defiantly responded "Molon Labe," or "Come and Take Them."
Well the irony is thick but not in the way that you think, the use of Molon Labe as the battle cry of threatened gun owners just shows a lack of the understanding of history, well unless watching the movie 300 means you understand ancient Greece.

Molon Labe is (allegedly) the response given to the Persian king Xerxes by Spartan king Leonidas when Xerxes demanded that the Greek force (which actually numbered between 5,000 and 7,000, of whom only 300 were Spartans) lay down their weapons. It is generally translated as, "Come and get them." And here is where the irony raises its head. See, in choosing this quote and this situation, the "freedom lovers" are quoting the absolute ruler of the most rigidly controlled military state in the ancient world. Leonidas was the co-king of Sparta, a state in which the individual had almost no rights, which held a massive population (the "Helots") in subjugation and slavery, and where all able-bodied men were completely subject to the will of the leaders. In other words, the exact opposite of freedom
https://www.thetrace.org/2015/10/ore...be-sandy-hook/

Old 03-25-2018, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Well the irony is thick but not in the way that you think, the use of Molon Labe as the battle cry of threatened gun owners just shows a lack of the understanding of history, well unless watching the movie 300 means you understand ancient Greece.

Molon Labe is (allegedly) the response given to the Persian king Xerxes by Spartan king Leonidas when Xerxes demanded that the Greek force (which actually numbered between 5,000 and 7,000, of whom only 300 were Spartans) lay down their weapons. It is generally translated as, "Come and get them." And here is where the irony raises its head. See, in choosing this quote and this situation, the "freedom lovers" are quoting the absolute ruler of the most rigidly controlled military state in the ancient world. Leonidas was the co-king of Sparta, a state in which the individual had almost no rights, which held a massive population (the "Helots") in subjugation and slavery, and where all able-bodied men were completely subject to the will of the leaders. In other words, the exact opposite of freedom
https://www.thetrace.org/2015/10/ore...be-sandy-hook/
Its not the battle cry of gun owners. Its the battle cry of a kids ball team, lol. The irony is how deep and sublime violence penetrates the culture at large - all while holding a sign against violence. We call for violence in regard to a violent game.

Old 03-25-2018, 09:46 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
This is what bothers me about these anti gun poster child kids. They are advocating to destroy their rights as well as ours. Rights that they might not even fully understand. They only see and speak about the negative when it comes to guns, they say nothing of the positive.
Those kids were victims of a deranged killer with a gun that indiscriminately murdered innocent people and hopefully they will never find themselves on the wrong end of a gun ever again but there are plenty of people that have literally had their lives saved by having a gun.
These do gooder kids would take that right to life, the right to protect oneself from everyone.

I don't think they understand that.
I am amazed that so many are actually afraid of this group!

They can ask for whatever they want...there will always be compromise. YOU say what you want and they say what THEY want. The problem is that you don't want to give up anything at all so you can't handle them - any tiny success they have is a defeat for you. If that's your prerogative, too bad - because there WILL be change coming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates