Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2018, 06:31 PM

3,766 posts, read 4,102,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
wait till they need to fund their own lives... once working they cant walk out and protest and expect to hold a job

picture of poverty on front page to me... torn jeans /no shoes and looking like future thugs

for a generation that wants to portray activism, they arent doing a good job with their body language

taking a lesson from the Intimidation playbook?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajams22 View Post
Strange. That's exactly how I dressed in high school and college.

And yet here I am, an entitled millennial who has done his fair share of political activism, responding to your incredibly narrow and idiotic comment from my office in downtown LA.

Are you barefoot wearing torn jeans and looking like a thug in your office in downtown LA?

Old 03-23-2018, 06:36 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,912,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
"Survivors". How many students went to that school? Aren't they all "survivors"?

Again, how sad the TRUE survivors (not just those somewhere in the building) and the victims families aren't on the cover.
Someone else hit the nail on the head about these kids.

They are not SURVIVOR'S. They are witnesses.

Big difference.

I'm really hoping their 15 minutes of fame ends soon.

Too many gullible people hear the taglines they preach and think they have a legitimate case to restrict the rights of others.

Had to laugh today when I saw a story about how Parkland will require see-through backpacks going forward. Now the precious little children are concerned about THEIR rights being infringed upon. Hmmm....

Old 03-23-2018, 06:38 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,205,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
wait till they need to fund their own lives... once working they cant walk out and protest and expect to hold a job

picture of poverty on front page to me... torn jeans /no shoes and looking like future thugs

for a generation that wants to portray activism, they arent doing a good job with their body language

taking a lesson from the Intimidation playbook?

Are you barefoot wearing torn jeans and looking like a thug in your office in downtown LA?
Because those kids will dress like that their entire lives.

Old 03-23-2018, 07:13 PM

3,259 posts, read 3,769,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
Can you or anyone provide an explanation as to how every parent or guardian can afford schooling for their kids under a privatized system?
Personal responsibility. Can't afford kids? Don't have them. If you can't support your family, why should the taxpayers have to do it? I put off having children because I couldn't give them an upper-middle class life that I wanted for them. Irks me to no end that people who can't provide for their own family get money redistributed from responsible people like myself.

Old 03-23-2018, 08:38 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,195,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
What have they accomplished to make schools safer?

List all the actions point by point.
This stuff takes time. It does not happen overnight and they are also getting resistance from people like you and at least half of Congress. I had mentioned governor Rick Scott signing gun control legislation. Please read again. Thanks. I will find other accomplishments to add to that.

Old 03-23-2018, 08:41 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,195,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post

Big difference.

Too many gullible people hear the taglines they preach and think they have a legitimate case to restrict the rights of others.

Had to laugh today when I saw a story about how Parkland will require see-through backpacks going forward. Now the precious little children are concerned about THEIR rights being infringed upon. Hmmm....
If they had never made these efforts or did nothing, you and a few others on the thread would whine that they are self absorbed, obsessed with their smart phones and only cared about themselves. A classic "no win" situation. I predict they won't be deterred by the cynics. Perhaps a little amused, though.

I hope their fame continues throughout the year and that real progress is made.

Last edited by chessgeek; 03-23-2018 at 09:22 PM..

Old 03-23-2018, 08:44 PM

17,569 posts, read 13,344,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
The Parkland shooting survivors turned activists just got the cover of TIME magazine.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/school-sh...110036741.html

I think it is cool that these kids are standing up for something they believe in but they should not be so eager to throw away their constitutional rights. If they choose to not own a gun then that is Ok but they should not dictate to the rest of the country. They should instead work to police their own and setup programs for troubled peers. Time and again we have seen bullied kids either take their own life while other kids that have been tossed aside and left behind due to awkward peer pressure and the inability to fit in which manifests into discipline issues take up a gun "to get back at the world that hates them".

I do think something should be done to curb gun violence and school shootings such as raising the age to 21 to legally purchase a semi automatic rifle but guns like the AR15 should not be outright banned.

What do you think about these new activists getting the cover of TIME magazine and what do you think about their message?
They should be in CLASS!

Old 03-23-2018, 08:46 PM

17,569 posts, read 13,344,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post

Big difference.

Amen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-23-2018, 08:52 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
They should be in CLASS!
It's likely the most valuable "school assembly" they'll be in all year and maybe their entire academic career. Believe me, far more time than this is wasted in school. And you're likely someone who thinks public education is worthless anyway so what's it to you?

Old 03-23-2018, 08:57 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
They've had a ton of financial backing. They've had a ton of media direction. They are connected politically.

Not a student led agenda. At all.
What cause ISN'T financially connected at some level. The NRA is...so who cares if these students started getting donations to carry on their mission. Yeah, more than just the NRA can play that game - more power to them - the NRA may have met their match.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates