Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2018, 11:36 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,579,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
Time is a subversive organization. Who even reads that unless the doctor is running late for the appointment?
If Time is a subversive organization then we need to apply that same label to Fox News, Glenn Beck, Rush Limbaugh, and of course the InfoWars guy (who probably really is a subversive).

Old 03-23-2018, 11:59 AM

5,888 posts, read 3,224,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
If Time is a subversive organization then we need to apply that same label to Fox News, Glenn Beck, Rush Limbaugh, and of course the InfoWars guy (who probably really is a subversive).
Sorry, when do any of these conservative outlets laud people as heroic or anoint them as worthy of accolades and such? There is no right-wing or conservative analogue to the cover of Time Magazine. Is there? If there is its so obscure I'd guess most people don't know what it is. I have no idea....despite being conservative.

Old 03-23-2018, 12:11 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,331,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
As we pass the torch to a new generation, I am proud that they are brave enough to stand up for their rights. I hope more from this new generation start getting involved and standing up for what they believe in. Vote, call your elected officials, march, let your voices be heard.

They're not dictating to the rest of the country any more than the some factions in this country have been dictating to them. They have a right to be safe, a right to not have to worry about whether or not someone is carrying a gun. They have a right to life and to not be killed at school. All of us have a right to feel safe from people with guns. How many times in your life do you really need a gun? Probably never. Keep on going, millennials.
They are NOT "standing up for their rights"; they are calling for imaginary "rights", which are actually the responsibility of each of us to secure by a combination of individual foresight and voluntary participation in small, locally-organized groups; Big Brother/Sister has been tried -- and found to be a dismal failure.

I don't own a firearm, BTW ..... but I live in a small community where many people do, and when you know your neighbors -- who's pulling their weight, and whose druggie kid isn't -- the potential Nickolas Cruzes stand out. Sometimes, these guys end up getting a hard lesson in a dark alley; can't say whether this is always the right thing to do, but when the democratic process is rendered ineffective by too many Snowflakes seeking too much security, a "default option" tends to emerge.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 03-23-2018 at 12:45 PM..

Old 03-23-2018, 12:18 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,940,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
First of all, most movements start WITHOUT a plan. what do you think those of us in the civil rights actually waited until we drew up a plan?? there was no organization at first, no leadership.

exactly what knowledge do these kids need? humm they hide under their desk praying to God they wouldn't get murdered, they frantically called their parents and the police begging to be rescued.

LOL I guess before we protested lynching we should have gone to school to get a degree in criminal justice.

now I don't understand why they went to other countries, maybe because the NRA has brought this one and our representatives.

but I do know that every modern day revolution started with the YOUTH of America standing up and saying that they are sick and tired of the status quo.

lol, and I find just like in the civil rights movement the people who are saying every thing is ****** dory are the ones who are not effected by the situation.

Those "pimple popping" students have absolutely every right to march against gun violence because they have seen the absolute cluster %^% their parents have done with ending it. I absolutely laugh at the hypocrisy of those spouting the constitution. when this entire country has been built on the subjecation of entire races, the annihilation of other cultures and defending the rights of rich white men and only rich white men.

And considering voter turnout even during presidential elections is hovering around an abysmal 60% I applaud them for at least getting off of their backsides.

ROCK ON YOUNGINS, ROCK ON. I hope they tear the status quo apart.
Ramblings ... confusing 8 different issues ... no coherent point ... toss in some racists patriarchy bad nonsense ... no evidence of any possible viewpoint ... nothing actionable ...

Yep. This is who approves of teens being used as political pawns.

Old 03-23-2018, 12:20 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,670,073 times
Question If "guns" are the problem, why does New Hampshire, with no gun laws to speak of, have a lower homicide rate than Canada?

I understand the need to "feel safe", but there's no constitutional right to feelings. This hype around "Parkland survivors" is more about adults (Michael Bloomberg and friends) co-opting teens' feelings order to push the adult's "NRA is evil, ban guns now" agenda. And teens who don't push the party line, are left out in the cold, left off the cover of TIME.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post
Wow - can't beleive this many and people can't see the forest for the trees. Or guns are more important than other human beings. THAT IS A BIG FAIL!
List of Mass Shootings Since Columbine Massacre | Opinion | villanovan.com

And some of you are just fine with this.
So wait, they started out with one a day, then one a week, and now you're down to about 3 a year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post
Arguing about the number since you got no other leg to stand on. FAIL

Here's some more figures - https://everytownresearch.org/gun-vi...y-the-numbers/ 96 people per day, that is mass shooting, just not in the same location.
It's the "ban everything now!" crowd that is using made-up and massaged statistics to support their position, and then when that is pointed out, they push back with this "don't argue about the numbers" fallacy.

Speaking of numbers, here's some for you -- firearms homicides have been on the decline for decades:

Remove drug-related shootings and other incidents where both the shooter and the victim have violent criminal records), and the count shrinks even further.

If "guns" are a root cause, why does New Hampshire, with no gun laws to speak of, have a lower homicide rate than Canada?

Last edited by Nonesuch; 03-23-2018 at 12:35 PM..

Old 03-23-2018, 12:34 PM

3,677 posts, read 2,560,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Ramblings ... confusing 8 different issues ... no coherent point ... toss in some racists patriarchy bad nonsense ... no evidence of any possible viewpoint ... nothing actionable ...

Yep. This is who approves of teens being used as political pawns.
lol and yet every thing said was absolutely true. exactly who are using these teens as political pawns???

Old 03-23-2018, 12:35 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,187,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
The poor parents of the actual victims of the shooting while these fools travel the world.

Maybe put their kids on the cover of Time.
A great idea from some points of view, after all the dead can't talk.

Old 03-23-2018, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
lol and yet every thing said was absolutely true. exactly who are using these teens as political pawns???
Nope.

Political pawns? Who created, promoted and supported the walkout> Women's March.

Every superintendent could be FIRED for allowing a political group to TAKE OVER the public schools.

Let's say a pro-life group arranged for an anti-abortion rally day and walkout at all public schools. Would the school board allow it? It's NO DIFFERENT. It's the same exact stance. A political group in the school.

Politics using KIDS as PAWNS for an AGENDA.

And yes your racist anti-white, anti-male, anti-people who work for a living mantra is just lovely. Very tolerant and hippie like of you.

You DO know that Parkland is an EXTREMELY wealthy and white neighborhood, right? I think a lot of men live there too.

Old 03-23-2018, 01:50 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,339,531 times
Wait, I think these kids are on to something. We should ban guns just like they do in Chicago. No gun violence in Chicago right?

We should outlaw guns just like Heroin in outlawed. No one is using heroin anymore right? The entire drug trade died out because we outlawed it.

These kids, everyone is saying that these kids can not be trusted with guns because they are not 21 years of age yet, but they can be trusted to tell the nation that we need to get rid of guns?

Every year 30,000 people die from guns. 63% of those on average are suicides. Realize that these people would have found another way to take their life if they did not have a gun.

33.3% were homicides. The majority of these, over 80% I read, are gang related, or gang on gang violence. Good reason to stay out of a gang

1.5% were accidental shootings.

2.2% is the remainder of shootings that we as a public need to worry about.

Of that 2.2% (or about 660 dead a year) on average 4 to 5 a year are mass shootings at a school or some public place. A mass shooting entails at least 4 people being killed by the shooter.

On the other side of this battle are those that are saved because someone had a gun. You don't hear so much about these because many go unreported. Here is what they do know.

On average 600,000 women are saved because they had a gun. I know two women personally that were saved because of owning a gun.

On average 2,500,000 people are saved because they owned a gun.

While it is sad that about 660 people will lose their life because they did not have a gun, do we subject the 2,500,000 people that were responsible gun owners to the same fate as these 660 people?

Talking about school shootings: 290 gun incidents at schools since 2013. Problem with that number is most were not related to the school. Only 86 gun incidents were school related. Of those only 63 were considered gun violence that was intended to create harm with someone at the school. Of the 63 incidents since 2013 6 adults and 35 children were killed in a mass shooting incident.

To put that into perspective and since 2018 is far from complete.

For the four year period between 2013 and 2017:

10,000,000 people were saved because someone had a gun to protect them or they could protect themselves.

2,400,000 of the 10,000,000 were women protecting themselves from a violent person that they thought would have killed them.

41 people died because someone did not have a gun to protect them.

Old 03-23-2018, 01:57 PM

Yep what was said above.

Anyone who does not discuss Chicago has no business discussing guns AT ALL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates