Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2018, 02:05 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,497,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajams22 View Post
It's hilarious that their generation is lauded as being complacent and narcissistic and all I ever hear from older generations is how they should be getting more involved in real world issues and life isn't lived through screens.

And here are teens, all across the country, getting involved in a real world issue. But now it's a problem because it's an issue you have a problem with.

Exactly. I wonder how soon the wackos will start saying that this is all a hoax.

Old 03-23-2018, 02:05 PM

291 posts, read 377,455 times
I have such a hard time with this. Personally I don't support an outright ban on guns but maybe tighter restrictions on certain guns/ ammunition. All I do know is that if we don't revisit something these school shootings will NOT stop. Gun restrictions/ updated back ground check requirements might not even stop them but I cannot imagine letting this continue and doing NOTHING. It's also a mental health issue.
I've been called a hypocrite because I support armed resource officers at schools but plan to March in the March for Our lives Saturday. While some of their efforts might be misguided - we have a generation of children asking for our help because they do not want to be shot to death at school. It's time to discuss something regardless of our stances.

I am also saddened by the number of adults making fun of the Parkland survivors. Agree with them or not- they are still children that just experienced life altering trauma.

Old 03-23-2018, 02:45 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,935,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderlove View Post
I have such a hard time with this. Personally I don't support an outright ban on guns but maybe tighter restrictions on certain guns/ ammunition. All I do know is that if we don't revisit something these school shootings will NOT stop. Gun restrictions/ updated back ground check requirements might not even stop them but I cannot imagine letting this continue and doing NOTHING. It's also a mental health issue.
I've been called a hypocrite because I support armed resource officers at schools but plan to March in the March for Our lives Saturday. While some of their efforts might be misguided - we have a generation of children asking for our help because they do not want to be shot to death at school. It's time to discuss something regardless of our stances.

I am also saddened by the number of adults making fun of the Parkland survivors. Agree with them or not- they are still children that just experienced life altering trauma.
There is NOTHING incompatible with those 2 ideas. If people can't see that they're brainwashed and unable to think critically.

Old 03-23-2018, 02:54 PM

16,214 posts, read 11,325,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajams22 View Post
It's hilarious that their generation is lauded as being complacent and narcissistic and all I ever hear from older generations is how they should be getting more involved in real world issues and life isn't lived through screens.

And here are teens, all across the country, getting involved in a real world issue. But now it's a problem because it's an issue you have a problem with.

They are "getting involved" but as with some Japanese youngsters who "rebel, but rebel in unison and conformity" -- someone else is determined to teach them what, and how to think.

The real American Experiment was founded by people who came here seeking their own forms of expression; in a few more years, some of the same youngsters who are now being faux-glorified by the would-be puppet-masters will start forming their own opinions -- and I can assure you that the self-appointed Masters of Political Correctness aren't going to like it.

Old 03-23-2018, 03:17 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
When I was a kid I remember plenty of talk about our enemies not wanting to come to war here in the United States. The reason for this was too many people have guns. I think that I read 42% of the population have a gun in the home here in the United States.

One statistic said that 9 million Americans own more than one gun. Another said about 3% of the population owned 45% of all of the guns in the nation if I remember correctly

The NRA alone has over 5 million members. Most of them are skilled at using a gun.

the Gun Owners of America have 1,500,000 members. Many of these may also be members of the NRA.

That is a lot of gun owners.

The US has 1.4 million active duty and 800,000 reserve in the military.

We also have all those people that own guns. There are enough guns in the US for all of us to be armed.

Russia has less than 1 million people in the military.

China has 2 million people in the military

Neither nation has the amount of gun owners that the US has.

Take the guns away and you level the playing field. You allow either Russia or China to have the ability to come in here and take over the place.

Old 03-23-2018, 03:22 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,192,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
The Parkland shooting survivors turned activists just got the cover of TIME magazine.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/school-sh...110036741.html

I think it is cool that these kids are standing up for something they believe in but they should not be so eager to throw away their constitutional rights. If they choose to not own a gun then that is Ok but they should not dictate to the rest of the country. They should instead work to police their own and setup programs for troubled peers. Time and again we have seen bullied kids either take their own life while other kids that have been tossed aside and left behind due to awkward peer pressure and the inability to fit in which manifests into discipline issues take up a gun "to get back at the world that hates them".

I do think something should be done to curb gun violence and school shootings such as raising the age to 21 to legally purchase a semi automatic rifle but guns like the AR15 should not be outright banned.

What do you think about these new activists getting the cover of TIME magazine and what do you think about their message?
I think it is great that they got the cover of TIME magazine and they deserved it! I support them on their message. They don't get a dime for this and their methods have been responsible. They have had town halls and have protested peacefully, not violently. Meanwhile, Congress, whose members enjoy full paychecks and generous benefits, has lacked courage on this serious issue.

Old 03-23-2018, 03:57 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,935,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
I think it is great that they got the cover of TIME magazine and they deserved it! I support them on their message. They don't get a dime for this and their methods have been responsible. They have had town halls and have protested peacefully, not violently. Meanwhile, Congress, whose members enjoy full paychecks and generous benefits, has lacked courage on this serious issue.
They've had a ton of financial backing. They've had a ton of media direction. They are connected politically.

Not a student led agenda. At all.

Old 03-23-2018, 03:58 PM

3,259 posts, read 3,766,753 times
lol at "standing up for your rights" when the right in question is disarming yourselves.

how many times throughout history does a government need to disarm its citizens before people decide it isn't a great idea?

it's painfully obvious that gun-free zones are falling victim to unintended consequences. why people are afraid to admit that and revisit gun-free zones blows my mind.

but sure... let's go ahead and ban guns. and when an emergency occurs, we will call people with guns to handle it.

Old 03-23-2018, 04:03 PM

42,839 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Explain specifically what they have done. Last time I checked, everyone knew murder was wrong. So .. what have these kids done?
You know the great thing about this Country? If you don't like what they have to say you can make a sign, recruit your friends and hold a counter protest. It seems to me that would be far more productive than whining about them on a public forum.

Old 03-23-2018, 04:06 PM

42,839 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
When I was a kid I remember plenty of talk about our enemies not wanting to come to war here in the United States. The reason for this was too many people have guns. I think that I read 42% of the population have a gun in the home here in the United States.
One statistic said that 9 million Americans own more than one gun. Another said about 3% of the population owned 45% of all of the guns in the nation if I remember correctly
The NRA alone has over 5 million members. Most of them are skilled at using a gun.
the Gun Owners of America have 1,500,000 members. Many of these may also be members of the NRA.
That is a lot of gun owners.
The US has 1.4 million active duty and 800,000 reserve in the military.
We also have all those people that own guns. There are enough guns in the US for all of us to be armed.
Russia has less than 1 million people in the military.
China has 2 million people in the military
Neither nation has the amount of gun owners that the US has.
Take the guns away and you level the playing field. You allow either Russia or China to have the ability to come in here and take over the place.
If we have a ground invasion it will be sometime after 2080 when the ground quits glowing. Your guns are not going to protect us from a war started by John Bolton, it would probably make more sense to sell them and use the money to build yourself a fallout shelter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates