Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2018, 07:06 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
The Parkland shooting survivors turned activists just got the cover of TIME magazine.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/school-sh...110036741.html

I think it is cool that these kids are standing up for something they believe in but they should not be so eager to throw away their constitutional rights. If they choose to not own a gun then that is Ok but they should not dictate to the rest of the country. They should instead work to police their own and setup programs for troubled peers. Time and again we have seen bullied kids either take their own life while other kids that have been tossed aside and left behind due to awkward peer pressure and the inability to fit in which manifests into discipline issues take up a gun "to get back at the world that hates them".

I do think something should be done to curb gun violence and school shootings such as raising the age to 21 to legally purchase a semi automatic rifle but guns like the AR15 should not be outright banned.

What do you think about these new activists getting the cover of TIME magazine and what do you think about their message?
Since when are they "dictating"? They are free to have an opinion and to advocate and recommend whatever solutions they want to.

How about you quit "dictating" to them?

Old 03-23-2018, 07:10 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
What rights are they standing up for?
What specific laws are they looking to change?
Could any one of them recite their state's regulations regarding purchase, possession and regulation of guns?
Could any one of them express SPECIFICALLY what laws need to be updated, why it needs to be updated and what SPECIFICALLY needs to be changed?

Nope. None of them.

Just ... guns bad .... more laws ... more laws ... oh and more laws. And let's cut class because a national political organization is using CHILDREN to forward its own personal agenda at the national level, using an emotionally devastating event as manipulation. Yeah, that's the ticket. That makes sense ... more laws .. because why .. they told us we need them ... let's all cut class. Yeah, if we all cut class and wave signs .. that'll change everything.

Oh and yes let's go to DUBAI and ISRAEL -- yes Parkland teens went to BOTH countries -- to talk about US gun laws. Because diplomats love to talk to teenagers when seeking political advice ... for a different country???
They could be as specific as "you" want but you'd still shoot them down - you tell me if the pun is apt or not. There are plenty of experts to come up with the details - and those wouldn't be stupid politiicians either. The kids don't have to come up with every detail but they can let their opinions and feelings be known - that is the start. Then the real debate begins but not until it is know how strongly people are against the current.

Guess you hated the hippies from the '60's and '70's too - oh, and Rosa Parks, et al. before that. Just because you're too passive to demonstrate doesn't mean no one else should - just spout your opinion on "Great Debates" - that'll get 'er done.

Old 03-23-2018, 07:11 AM

2,951 posts, read 2,517,842 times
Short thread with not all but lots of fear going on here. Fear is nothing but a refelection on your own character. The scary people are you.

Afraid the game is now going to change and not to the benefit of the NRA? Did you see 60 minutes? They call themselves the Mass Shooting generation, cause most were born around the time of columbine. And this is all they know. Week in week out.

Dubai and Israel PAID their way for them to speak. These countries think they have something to offer.

Why not the outrage over the terrorist threat made by the NRA commercial. https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...F&&FORM=VRDGAR

This is part of the next generation, better get used to them. They are making us older ones be accountable.

Trust me they are getting an education much more valuable than what many seniors in high school get.

Old 03-23-2018, 07:14 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,940,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Since when are they "dictating"? They are free to have an opinion and to advocate and recommend whatever solutions they want to.

How about you quit "dictating" to them?
What is their opinion other than we need more gun laws?

I haven't heard ANYTHING beyond that. If that were the argument in a debate they were having, I'd mark it an F.

No substance. At all. Yet flying all around the world??? Going to other countries to discuss US gun law -- of which there is NO EVIDENCE that they possess even a rudimentary understanding -- Why?? What purpose does it serve except to make the public feel good? Yay TEAM??? GO KIDS!?!?! So glad I can cheer for someone!!! I like cheering for people!!! LIKE LIKE LIKE on social media. Thumbs up for EVERYONE!!!!! Good jpb!! Get yer participation trophy!!!

I feel so much safer now!!!! /sarcasm/

Where's the PLAN??? Where's the KNOWLEDGE???

Old 03-23-2018, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
They could be as specific as "you" want but you'd still shoot them down - you tell me if the pun is apt or not. There are plenty of experts to come up with the details - and those wouldn't be stupid politiicians either. The kids don't have to come up with every detail but they can let their opinions and feelings be known - that is the start. Then the real debate begins but not until it is know how strongly people are against the current..
If they have no plan -- as you just confirmed -- why are they flying to other countries to talk to other dignitaries???

WHO is paying for that and what are they talking about to dignitaries on OTHER COUNTRIES?

These kids are pawns. I realize you are cheering too hard to even see that.

And last I checked no one in the entire US thinks or has EVER thought-- mass shooting, yay. /eyeroll/ So sharing opinions and *feelings* does what exactly??? Makes YOU feel good?

Your response is just as devoid of facts as the kids being touting around the world as political pawns.

Old 03-23-2018, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post
Short thread with not all but lots of fear going on here. Fear is nothing but a refelection on your own character. The scary people are you.

Afraid the game is now going to change and not to the benefit of the NRA? Did you see 60 minutes? They call themselves the Mass Shooting generation, cause most were born around the time of columbine. And this is all they know. Week in week out.

Dubai and Israel PAID their way for them to speak. These countries think they have something to offer.

Why not the outrage over the terrorist threat made by the NRA commercial. https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...F&&FORM=VRDGAR

This is part of the next generation, better get used to them. They are making us older ones be accountable.

Trust me they are getting an education much more valuable than what many seniors in high school get.
Prove it.

A mass school shooting every week for decades?

Let's see them ALL. Post them.

Israel has the tightest security in the WORLD. Yet they need to talk to a bunch of rich teens for what??? Tips on security??? What to wear to prom?? What??

Old 03-23-2018, 07:23 AM

Plan, Knowledge, - these kids have done more than anyone has on this issue. The plan and knowledge should come from those elected. But all they do is take the NRA'S money and send thoguht and prayers after yet another shooting happens. Cause they sold their integrity to another terrorist organization. We have a chance to vote them out this fall.

They are sick of seeing their friends being killed. They live in fear at school, at least us Boomers didn't have to grow up with that.

Boy the fear keeps growing in here. And we see it for what it is. Now you want to rasie voting age to 21. lol

How about this video https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...8&&FORM=VDRVRV

Old 03-23-2018, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post
Plan, Knowledge, - these kids have done more than anyone has on this issue. The plan and knowledge should come from those elected. But all they do is take the NRA'S money and send thoguht and prayers after yet another shooting happens. Cause they sold their integrity to another terrorist organization. We have a chance to vote them out this fall.

They are sick of seeing their friends being killed. They live in fear at school, at least us Boomers didn't have to grow up with that.

Boy the fear keeps growing in here. And we see it for what it is. Now you want to rasie voting age to 21. lol

How about this video https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...8&&FORM=VDRVRV
Explain specifically what they have done.

Last time I checked, everyone knew murder was wrong.

So .. what have these kids done?

Old 03-23-2018, 07:35 AM

^^^^ Inform yourself. Here did the work for you. https://www.cbsnews.com/news/parklan...t-you-to-know/

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Prove it.

A mass school shooting every week for decades?

Let's see them ALL. Post them.

Israel has the tightest security in the WORLD. Yet they need to talk to a bunch of rich teens for what??? Tips on security??? What to wear to prom?? What??
I'm not catering to your need to see a list of mass shootings. You look them up. It makes me sick as it should everyone. If that is all you got from my post, you are part of the problem. No one needs to prove anything to you. You loves your guns over the future generation. Shootings have happened in malls, schools, concerts, movie theaters, etc.

These kids aren't rich. There way is being paid for by countries that are aware these kids are game changers.
Israel does have the tightest security in the world. Obviously they think these kids have something to offer.

Somebody set up a 501K and they are accepting money only from people who don't have an agenda. They turn it down when it is said to them, I'll give you money IF. There have been judges, politicans who see a value in these kids agenda. But they don't take their money casue it comes with an IF> There is no selling out in their world. 501K's are for spreading their agenda. Not for padding their pockets like the politicians.

Go inform yourself and watch the segment 60 minutes did on them. Oh I know it'll hurt to hear what you don't want to hear.

Old 03-23-2018, 07:45 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,885,876 times
These kids have good intentions, but sadly they have already been usurped and exploited by adult political players intent on, not the agenda of overall reductions on gun violence, but a more general and partisan political agenda. Adult sponsors have created the movement as a 501(c)(4) "social welfare" nonprofit organization, which means now they are not required to disclose all the donors. But one can guess.
They are already associated with the woman's march movement, planned parenthood, Move On, and a variety of liberal advocacy groups. Now they are having local democratic groups blatantly getting involved as well, busing in participants, they have speech writers, professional lobbyists, press kits prepared by pros.

Sadly, this movement is already corrupted and the kids have become puppets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates