Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2008, 08:20 PM

2,410 posts, read 6,010,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post
And Molochai, what wonderful news that you are starting Pain&Torture - I must have missed the news that the bone has started knitting. PT is horrid, I know, but it's the *only* way to return to full mobility. I had total hip replacement surgery 12 years ago when I was 39, and for the longest time, I wanted to kill the physical therapist with whom I was working. But from my vantage point now, it was worth every drop of sweat, every tear, every moment of concluding that I'd never make it through. The best advice I can give you is to get your stubborn on, and try to outlast them; you may not succeed, but the results you get will astound you. Good luck!
I found out yesterday the bone was starting to knit together, which is why they decided I could start PT. They did say that the huge gap between the top part of the bone might never heal together, so I'll probably have to keep the screws in for life.

I'm just hoping that after the PT the pain that drove me to have knee surgery is gone. It'll be worth it if that happens.

Old 11-13-2008, 08:24 PM

3,591 posts, read 1,154,855 times
CYN this is what I came up with.... We were talking about steak Diane earlier and I came across this recipe. I figured i would share with you all

Steak Diane
Ingredients:
  • 4 (3 ounces each) center cut beef tenderloin medallions, trimmed of all fat and pounded to 1/2 inch thick, chilled
  • 1-1/2 ounces clarified butter
  • 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 2 tablespoons shallots, chopped fine
  • 1/8 teaspoon garlic, minced
  • 1/4 cup mushroom caps, sliced 1/8 inch thick
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice, fresh squeezed
  • 1 teaspoon dry mustard powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon thyme leaves, fresh if possible
  • 2 ounces heavy cream
  • 1 ounce brandy
  • 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon chives, chopped
  • Salt, about 1/2 teaspoon or to taste
  • Ground black pepper, fresh ground, 1/8 teaspoon or to taste
Preparation:

In a small 8- to 10-inch saute pan, heat 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat for 1 minute. Add the tenderloin steaks, sprinkle with a little salt and pepper, increase heat to medium-high and saute exactly 2 minutes on each side. Remove them to a plate and chill in a refrigerator for 5 minutes.

Preheat a large (12-inch) saute pan over medium heat for 1 minute. Add clarified butter, then add the Worcestershire sauce to the butter. Place the shallots, garlic, and mushrooms in the center of the pan with the tenderloin steaks around the edges. With a spoon, stir and toss the mushroom mixture. After 2 minutes add the lemon juice and season the ingredients with salt and fresh ground black pepper. Turn the filet mignon steaks and add the thyme, chopped parsley and dried mustard powder. Cook the steaks to the doneness you like. Leave them in the pan and add the heavy cream and chives. Tilt the pan slightly, and pour the brandy into the front edge of the pan, turn the heat to high and let the flame (or if electric, light with a match) catch the brandy's vapors and ignite it. Swirl slightly, turn off the heat and let the flame go out.

Place filet mignon medallions on plates and top with the sauce from the pan.

Note: You may want to slightly undercook the filet mignon steaks prior to adding the cream and brandy so that the reduction process of making the sauce doesn't overcook them.

Old 11-13-2008, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by molochai2580 View Post
I found out yesterday the bone was starting to knit together, which is why they decided I could start PT. They did say that the huge gap between the top part of the bone might never heal together, so I'll probably have to keep the screws in for life.

I'm just hoping that after the PT the pain that drove me to have knee surgery is gone. It'll be worth it if that happens.

I think all in all this is still good news

Old 11-13-2008, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
Me know watch TV of any kind. Sorry no help from me on that front. Congrats on the big anniversary. I have one today too now that you mention it. I've been married 44 years today. And I'm about a hundred pounds heavier for it.

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY to both Nomad and VPCats!!

Old 11-13-2008, 08:31 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,747,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amberbaby27 View Post
Thank you. Maybe we will go out on the town tomorrow. Maybe.

Old 11-13-2008, 08:46 PM

That would be nice if you are feeling up to it Do a surprise picnic for your wife... or not just an idea

Old 11-13-2008, 08:47 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,215,499 times
Congrats vpcats and Nomad 2 terrific things! I couldn't rep ya Nomad says I need to spread the love around sorry. But your last part in your post of 100# made me laugh about a memory of a past co-worker. He use to call his wife Butter finally one day somebody asked him why he told us he liked everything about her "but her" face. You had to know the guy he was a hoot and his wife was so very nice letting him say that for 40+ years of marriage.

Fellow posters I am ashamed to find out today after receiving a couple of reps that I was the 15,000 post in your wonderful lengthy thread. Honored and thanks for the reps but I am sorry one of you long time posters on this thread didn't get that honor. It would have be so fitting for cyn to have that place of honor since she started the thread.

Tonight I fixed a potato hamburger mushroom soup that was bumping! Family just about licked the pot clean.

Since I am a long time CD posting member but only fairly new to this thread I can't say what my favorite 'past' thing has been~~~~yet. I know it is awesome talking with ya all thanks for having me!

Old 11-13-2008, 08:55 PM

12,015 posts, read 11,310,645 times
Jaxson - How very sweet of you! You need not feel ashamed of having been the 15000 poster! This is a great bunch, and we are so glad to have you here. Good for you!! Cyn, the originator of this post is such a great person and would be the first to tell you this!

Old 11-13-2008, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeeyow View Post
Jaxson - How very sweet of you! You need not feel ashamed of having been the 15000 poster! This is a great bunch, and we are so glad to have you here. Good for you!! Cyn, the originator of this post is such a great person and would be the first to tell you this!

I second this

Old 11-13-2008, 09:13 PM

3,367 posts, read 11,069,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeeyow View Post
Hear hear!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amberbaby27 View Post
....and hear hear to this too!! Congratulations!!!

Molochai - hope it keeps on knitting and healing

Last edited by southdown; 11-13-2008 at 09:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.