Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 10:08 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,375,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
I never claimed any such thing. You misrepresent a lot of things which means you must be insecure in your positions. There are stereotypes about folks from your part of the country also, but I don't resort to such stupidity because I know that everyone is different, even those that get lumped together in classification....like Republican or Democrat.
Sure you did - right here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
Polls are only as good as those doing the polling and those polled, both of which skew results. If the polls make you feel better about things, so be it. Most of the people I know could care less about them. When the polls start to go against Obama, I am sure you will declare them unvalid then. Funny how it works that way for you and yours. I do not know anyone that didn't vote for Obama that is now suddenly crazy about his policies and some that did vote for him that already regret it.
The issue at hand was that the polls showed Obama at 60% approval (or more). YOU made a statement that you didn't believe those polls because that percentage was HIGHER than the percentage of people that voted for him originally (post #22).

When it was explained to you that people "change their minds" you made the post I inserted above - specifically commenting that no one YOU know changed their mind about Obama (see the part I bolded) at least not by improving their opinion of him - and thereby implying again that the polls must then be wrong - as if YOUR group of friends is somehow indicative of America as whole.

Got it?

Ken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2009, 10:15 AM

5,696 posts, read 6,218,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
At this point in his Presidency?
No it wasn't. It was close though - showing that the American people were willing to give Bush the benefit of the doubt - unlike the Obamabashers on this board who were blaming Obama for the economic woes of the country BEFORE he even took office.

President Bush's Approval Ratings

Ken

I was very much trying to give him the "benefit of the doubt"
but the first redflag was his naming folks that do not seem to want to pay their taxes, especially when one of them is going to be over the IRS
good grief
then he thought it pretty cool to fly all over the place spending huge amounts of our money and then blasting the CEO's of the auto makers for
taking jets to DC
he gets on TV full of fear mongering, just like George Bush did saying we needed to go to war,
he has a standard for himself and a standard for everyone else.
He was a hack before and he is a hack now, him and his congress.
If you want to defend him, have at it, but do not think I am jumping through the Obama hoop.
He promised he was going to be different, well he is that.
I am an Americian, I am a taxpayer, I vote, I have a voice, I get to speak that voice.
From where I sit, most of the dems and repubs want to do the same old thing lie, blame, and spend.
Come 6 months, if not sooner, there will be outcries for his impeachment,
for his reckless spending
all he is doing is pushing his outragous agenda while his approval rates are high, but his supporters either can not see that or will not admit that.
You are intitlied to your opinion, so am I.
I want our country to get back on its feet, it does not look good when all the clowns in Washington have their heads up their butts.

Old 03-04-2009, 12:18 PM

13 posts, read 15,893 times
Default All

The last thing I want to do here is to come across as a stereotype myself. However, after perusing this entire thread one thing seems to stick out. Despite the stereotyping of those opposed to President Obama’s performance as “wingnuts, morons, and racists,” by those supporting him, the naysayers seem to have remained the more civil of the two camps. Perhaps there’s something to this “southern hospitality” thing after all. A brief synopsis so far:

Teatime in post #3: Folks here where I live are nervous and worried, even though the economy here isn't bad and no one I know has lost a job. NO ONE -- libs or conservatives -- thinks the stimulus is going to help matters and everyone is trying to prepare for the worst.

Eurous1 in post #4: As much as you want to dismiss scientific polls, they are pretty accurate dear. You and your right-wingnut Obama-hating loons are in a small minority.

Bluefly in post #10: It's so funny how, even in the face of evidence, people like the aptly named dixiegrl7 deny Obama's popularity.

Dixiegirl7 in post #12: "aptly named dixiegrl7" after that comment anything else you said was totally discredited. This is why those on here that express the same views that you do are not taken seriously and end up talking only to each other.

Bluefly in post #14: It's not an insult! You are probably from the South. The South is the last concentrated stand of the Republican Party.

Sweetpotater58 in post #15: I will agree, most Americans are still giving him the benefit of the doubt, and hoping he will do well, but his numbers are dropping and some of his actions have caused this.

Starlite9 in post #25: Seems his popularity is dropping every week, in a month or two more the rate he is spending money, I doubt that he will be very popular by the standards of today.

MrBob in post #26: He's only unpopular with neocon die-hards - and extreme right-wing nut cases.

Everyone else is solidly on-board - much to your utter frustration and dismay...

Oh well - TOUGH!!!

I feel your pain... I just don't care about it.. that's all!!

Eurous1 in post #36: You are just a moron.

dixiegirl7 in post #39: I do not know anyone that didn't vote for Obama that is now suddenly crazy about his policies and some that did vote for him that already regret it.

MrBob in post #44: I'm really beginning to conclude that some people have true racist hatred towards the man, because they just distort the facts to suit their hateful positions.

LordBalfor in post #48: Tell me dixiegirl7 - what part of the country do you live in? It wouldn't be the South would it? Because THAT would explain a great deal.

dixiegirl7 in post #49: Now that is amazingly perceptive to think I am from the south. You do realize there are a variety of people in the south, right?

Ovcatto in post # 50: Unfortunately not enough variety.

dixiegirl7 in post #51: That is quite ignorant.

LordBalfor in post #52: It's also the area of the country that was last to grant Blacks equal rights and has longgggggg had a tradition of oppressing Blacks. When you combine those two things it's no surprise that few people that YOU know support Obama.

Gregw in post #53: Most of the right wing crazies on this board have a very low approval rating with me.

marysally in post #54: I actually live in the deep south (native as well) and know a number of Obama supporters (all white for what itis worth). I am a moderate, independent who is giving Obama the benefit of the doubt and hoping for all I am worth that he will succeed. However, I must say that his actions thus far have not been very encouraging.

LordBalfor in post #56: I simply pointed out that she lives in a very RED area of the country - and where Blacks have had the most severe problems even getting the ability to VOTE - so it NO WONDER they don't like Obama down there

marysally in post #66: I actually voted for Obama in my states primary, but upon closer examination I realized that he was just way to inexperienced. I must add that I have yet to be impressed with his job performance thus far but it has nothing to do with his race.

Old 03-04-2009, 12:38 PM

485 posts, read 1,456,828 times
Thank you Sansculotte for that lovely compilation. I'm just hoping that some of our Southern hospitality will rub off on some of the blue posters. For what it is worth I was always taught to "kill them with kindness". If you don't know what that means, ask a Southerner!

Old 03-04-2009, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansculotte View Post
The last thing I want to do here is to come across as a stereotype myself. However, after perusing this entire thread one thing seems to stick out. Despite the stereotyping of those opposed to President Obama’s performance as “wingnuts, morons, and racists,†by those supporting him, the naysayers seem to have remained the more civil of the two camps. Perhaps there’s something to this “southern hospitality†thing after all. A brief synopsis so far:

Teatime in post #3: Folks here where I live are nervous and worried, even though the economy here isn't bad and no one I know has lost a job. NO ONE -- libs or conservatives -- thinks the stimulus is going to help matters and everyone is trying to prepare for the worst.

Eurous1 in post #4: As much as you want to dismiss scientific polls, they are pretty accurate dear. You and your right-wingnut Obama-hating loons are in a small minority.

Bluefly in post #10: It's so funny how, even in the face of evidence, people like the aptly named dixiegrl7 deny Obama's popularity.

Dixiegirl7 in post #12: "aptly named dixiegrl7" after that comment anything else you said was totally discredited. This is why those on here that express the same views that you do are not taken seriously and end up talking only to each other.

Bluefly in post #14: It's not an insult! You are probably from the South. The South is the last concentrated stand of the Republican Party.

Sweetpotater58 in post #15: I will agree, most Americans are still giving him the benefit of the doubt, and hoping he will do well, but his numbers are dropping and some of his actions have caused this.

Starlite9 in post #25: Seems his popularity is dropping every week, in a month or two more the rate he is spending money, I doubt that he will be very popular by the standards of today.

MrBob in post #26: He's only unpopular with neocon die-hards - and extreme right-wing nut cases.

Everyone else is solidly on-board - much to your utter frustration and dismay...

Oh well - TOUGH!!!

I feel your pain... I just don't care about it.. that's all!!

Eurous1 in post #36: You are just a moron.

dixiegirl7 in post #39: I do not know anyone that didn't vote for Obama that is now suddenly crazy about his policies and some that did vote for him that already regret it.

MrBob in post #44: I'm really beginning to conclude that some people have true racist hatred towards the man, because they just distort the facts to suit their hateful positions.

LordBalfor in post #48: Tell me dixiegirl7 - what part of the country do you live in? It wouldn't be the South would it? Because THAT would explain a great deal.

dixiegirl7 in post #49: Now that is amazingly perceptive to think I am from the south. You do realize there are a variety of people in the south, right?

Ovcatto in post # 50: Unfortunately not enough variety.

dixiegirl7 in post #51: That is quite ignorant.

LordBalfor in post #52: It's also the area of the country that was last to grant Blacks equal rights and has longgggggg had a tradition of oppressing Blacks. When you combine those two things it's no surprise that few people that YOU know support Obama.

Gregw in post #53: Most of the right wing crazies on this board have a very low approval rating with me.

marysally in post #54: I actually live in the deep south (native as well) and know a number of Obama supporters (all white for what itis worth). I am a moderate, independent who is giving Obama the benefit of the doubt and hoping for all I am worth that he will succeed. However, I must say that his actions thus far have not been very encouraging.

LordBalfor in post #56: I simply pointed out that she lives in a very RED area of the country - and where Blacks have had the most severe problems even getting the ability to VOTE - so it NO WONDER they don't like Obama down there

marysally in post #66: I actually voted for Obama in my states primary, but upon closer examination I realized that he was just way to inexperienced. I must add that I have yet to be impressed with his job performance thus far but it has nothing to do with his race.
LOL

You got a lot of nerve - or a VERY SHORT MEMORY.

This coming after MONTHS of listening to "Nobama", "Obama associates with terrorists", "Obama is a commie", "Obama is not even an American", "Obama supporters think Obama is the Messiah" etc, etc, etc.

I also notice you left out any derogatory comments posted by the "Red" folks - such as:
sweetpotater58 (#15) -

"He is not perfect, he will make mistakes, but if you believe everything you read in polls, especially those conducted by an organization as biased as the New York Times then you can know for yourself, how the Germans were easily mislead by Hitler and his Joseph Goebel's propaganda new apparatus in World War 2. Now, I am not saying Obama is Hitler or anything, only commenting on your gullibility to believing his backers poll results."

Dixiegirl (#19) -

"Gullibility is what got him elected, so of course they believe it."

Dixiegirl (#22) -

"The polls are wrong just about as often as they are right. The same ones had Bush losing both elections that he won, right up to elelction day. There is no way that out of the 46% of people who did not vote for Obama, now magically half of them think he is swell and doing great. That is not even logical. You should even know better."

Etc, etc, etc.

A little selective editing on YOUR part?

Ken

Old 03-04-2009, 01:02 PM

Default marysally

Quote:
Originally Posted by marysally View Post
For what it is worth I was always taught to "kill them with kindness". If you don't know what that means, ask a Southerner!
I was born and bred in Houston. That was my Mother's favorite advice to us. Along with "Bless their hearts." I'm sure you know what that means.

Last edited by sansculotte; 03-04-2009 at 01:21 PM..

Old 03-04-2009, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansculotte View Post
I was born and bred in Houston. That was my Mother's favorite advise to us. Along with "Bless their hearts." I'm sure you know what that means.
Yes that and "you catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar" although I always asked why I would want to catch flies!

Old 03-04-2009, 01:11 PM

It appears that Lord Balfour's venom continues, I guess it is hard to teach an old dog new tricks!

Old 03-04-2009, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marysally View Post
It appears that Lord Balfour's venom continues, I guess it is hard to teach an old dog new tricks!
Merely posting what YOU folks wrote.
Who's venom is that?

Ken

Old 03-04-2009, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
LOL

You got a lot of nerve - or a VERY SHORT MEMORY.

This coming after MONTHS of listening to "Nobama", "Obama associates with terrorists", "Obama is a commie", "Obama is not even an American", "Obama supporters think Obama is the Messiah" etc, etc, etc.

I also notice you left out any derogatory comments posted by the "Red" folks - such as:
sweetpotater58 (#15) -
Now, I am not saying Obama is Hitler or anything, only commenting on your gullibility to believing his backers poll results."

Dixiegirl (#19) -

You should even know better."

Etc, etc, etc.

A little selective editing on YOUR part?

Ken
I see nothing "derogatory" nor stereotyping in either of the two comments. Explain exactly how either of the two statements expresses that the receiver was grouped. Quite personal as well as personable.

You're correct however, in recognizing that I do indeed posess a lot of nerve, as do you. I think that's the reason I replied to one of your posts first, rather than some of the more offensive ones on this thread. I have the feeling we may get along quite well. Doesn't mean we have to agree.

My memory is not so short as to have forgotten eight years of "Chimpy McHalliburton Bush-hitler." Although I personally wasn't involved in such banter myself. Guess you'll just have to take my word for it until you know me better.

By the way, editing is selective by nature. I tried to be fair. Would you agree with the preponderance of evidence being on my side (at least on this thread)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections