Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 06:39 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,930,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennySquirrel View Post
Since you think that the "majority" of Americans Love Obama and want us to accept that as fact, well the numbers show that Fox is t he #1 channel and the MAJORITY of Americans watch it.
Gallup has been doing polls for decades. They have way more cred than FOX.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2009, 06:51 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,187,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
It's so funny how, even in the face of evidence, people like the aptly named dixiegrl7 deny Obama's popularity.

Polling is very consistently accurate when compared to actual results. People were convinced everyone was lying to pollsters before the election, and then it turned out to be accurate. The only time it is not is if an event happens between the polling and the voting to sway people.

I can see how people get trapped in that perception. Just being on this forum I start to think the world is turning against Obama. I can imagine that if I lived in a conservative stronghold community I would have the perception that everybody loathes Obama.

Then I walk away and look at the bigger picture and I realize that this forum, for whatever reason, draws a high concentration of vitrolic, angry partisans who just think anybody who disagrees with them is flat out wrong and stupid. I realize most people are actually quite upbeat about Obama and the course of action he's chosen.

I guess people with more moderate views don't tend to feel the need to express them so frequently.

"aptly named dixiegrl7" after that comment anything else you said was totally discredited. This is why those on here that express the same views that you do are not taken seriously and end up talking only to each other. Because I don't believe a Gallup poll is accurate and they have been knowm not to be many times, you come off with this much spew. Who exactly is angry here?

Old 02-28-2009, 06:52 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,722,932 times
The majority of Americans do not watch Fox. A popular prime time network program, like American Idol, only gets about 20 million viewers.

That leaves 280 million Americans doing something else with their time.

That said - Fox draws the highest ratings of the 3 news networks at times (CNN does at other times). For whatever it's worth, liberalism is far more ambiguous and harder to proselytize in the way conservative radio does. So, that plays into it as well.

Old 02-28-2009, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
"aptly named dixiegrl7" after that comment anything else you said was totally discredited. This is why those on here that express the same views that you do are not taken seriously and end up talking only to each other. Because I don't believe a Gallup poll is accurate and they have been knowm not to be many times, you come off with this much spew. Who exactly is angry here?
It's not an insult! You are probably from the South. The South is the last concentrated stand of the Republican Party.

I'm sorry if that came off as an insult. I seriously didn't mean it to be. I was just pointing out the way that regionalism could color one's perception.

Old 02-28-2009, 06:58 PM

380 posts, read 1,059,870 times
Most of the Polls have been conducted by the major media outlets, and one the very far left New York Times was with CBS(this was the latest), so of course, who would these folks interview for poll questions-likely safe audiences sure to give a thumbs up to Obama. I will agree, most Americans are still giving him the benefit of the doubt, and hoping he will do well, but his numbers are dropping and some of his actions have caused this. He is not perfect, he will make mistakes, but if you believe everything you read in polls, especially those conducted by an organization as biased as the New York Times then you can know for yourself, how the Germans were easily mislead by Hitler and his Joseph Goebel's propaganda new apparatus in World War 2. Now, I am not saying Obama is Hitler or anything, only commenting on your gullibility to believing his backers poll results.

Old 02-28-2009, 06:59 PM

...always with the Hitler....

Old 02-28-2009, 07:06 PM

1,319 posts, read 1,619,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpotater58 View Post
Most of the Polls have been conducted by the major media outlets, and one the very far left New York Times was with CBS(this was the latest), so of course, who would these folks interview for poll questions-likely safe audiences sure to give a thumbs up to Obama. I will agree, most Americans are still giving him the benefit of the doubt, and hoping he will do well, but his numbers are dropping and some of his actions have caused this. He is not perfect, he will make mistakes, but if you believe everything you read in polls, especially those conducted by an organization as biased as the New York Times then you can know for yourself, how the Germans were easily mislead by Hitler and his Joseph Goebel's propaganda new apparatus in World War 2. Now, I am not saying Obama is Hitler or anything, only commenting on your gullibility to believing his backers poll results.
Comparing Obama to Hitler is very ignorant...

And that is exactly what you are doing... you're not fooling anyone.

Old 02-28-2009, 07:09 PM

1,319 posts, read 1,619,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
It's not an insult! You are probably from the South. The South is the last concentrated stand of the Republican Party.

I'm sorry if that came off as an insult. I seriously didn't mean it to be. I was just pointing out the way that regionalism could color one's perception.
Don't worry about it - some people are always looking for a reason to be righteously indignant.. personally, I think it's a scream when they act that way...

And poll after poll show Obama to be very popular... You are absolutely right about that, and are also correct that Fox News viewers are a very small portion of the population.

And you are also right that the South (and midwest) is the last great Republican stronghold.

Old 02-28-2009, 10:08 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,187,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpotater58 View Post

Gullibility is what got him elected, so of course they believe it.

Old 03-01-2009, 12:00 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,366,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
I don't believe that for one minute.
Clearly.
So what?

Ken
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections