Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 08:28 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,227,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Unfortunately not enough variety.

That is quite ignorant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 08:53 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,469,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
Now that is amazaingly perceptive to think I am from the south. You do realize there are a variety of people in the south, right?
Sure, but it's the ONE SECTION of the country where they are still overwhelmingly GOP. It's also the area of the country that was last to grant Blacks equal rights and has longgggggg had a tradition of oppressing Blacks. When you combine those two things it's no surprise that few people that YOU know support Obama.

That's doesn't mean the REST OF AMERICAN feels as YOU do.

Ken

Old 03-03-2009, 12:18 PM

41,458 posts, read 60,098,327 times
Most of the right wing crazies on this board have a very low approval rating with me.

Old 03-03-2009, 12:37 PM

485 posts, read 1,460,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Sure, but it's the ONE SECTION of the country where they are still overwhelmingly GOP. It's also the area of the country that was last to grant Blacks equal rights and has longgggggg had a tradition of oppressing Blacks. When you combine those two things it's no surprise that few people that YOU know support Obama.

Ken
I actually live in the deep south (native as well) and know a number of Obama supporters (all white for what itis worth). I am a moderate, independent who is giving Obama the benefit of the doubt and hoping for all I am worth that he will succeed. However, I must say that his actions thus far have not been very encouraging. I also heard this moring I believe it was either CNBC or MSNBC that Obama's most recent polling numbers had dropped into the 50's. I also heard Joe Scarborogh on Morning Joe (a noted Obama backer) complaining loudly about Geithner.

Old 03-03-2009, 02:43 PM

13 posts, read 15,908 times
Default LordBalfor

Quote:

Ken
Ken,

I have to laugh. Here you are in Seattle, smack in the middle of the "People's Republic of Western Washington" and have the audacity to accuse someone of living in a bastion. "Overwhelmingly GOP." I like that. You speak as if you reside in some neutral arena, rather than one of the most liberal academies in the US.

How did you put it? That doesn't mean the "REST OF AMERICA" feels as YOU do.

I've lived and worked most half my life in the south, the rest of it up here in the Puget Sound region. It doesn't really take an outsider to realize you're just as influenced by your blue location as dixiegirl is by her red one. But... since, to some extent, I am one, let me point it out for you.

We won't get into which region exploited which ethnic groups to the greater extent. Let's just say it wasn't pretty.

Old 03-03-2009, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansculotte View Post
Ken,

I have to laugh. Here you are in Seattle, smack in the middle of the "People's Republic of Western Washington" and have the audacity to accuse someone of living in a bastion. "Overwhelmingly GOP." I like that. You speak as if you reside in some neutral arena, rather than one of the most liberal academies in the US.

How did you put it? That doesn't mean the "REST OF AMERICA" feels as YOU do.

I've lived and worked most half my life in the south, the rest of it up here in the Puget Sound region. It doesn't really take an outsider to realize you're just as influenced by your blue location as dixiegirl is by her red one. But... since, to some extent, I am one, let me point it out for you.

We won't get into which region exploited which ethnic groups to the greater extent. Let's just say it wasn't pretty.
Are you denying that the south is "overwhelmingly GOP"?
I NEVER said I wasn't in a Blue state - that's not the point is it?
The point is - I'm not the one CONTESTING the accuracy of the polls am I? You know, those SAME polls that ACCURATELY predicted Bush would win, and that Obama would win.

Dixiegirl7 is the one who MADE THE CLAIM that the polls were WRONG simply because the people she knows didn't like Obama. I simply pointed out that she lives in a very RED area of the country - and where Blacks have had the most severe problems even getting the ability to VOTE - so it NO WONDER they don't like Obama down there - and that HER claiming the fact that the people near HER not liking Obama is somehow PROOF that the polls are wrong is well - pretty ridiculous.

And I stand by the position.
Her reasons for discounting the polls were completely illogical and nonsensical.

That fact I live in a Blue state doesn't change ANY of that.

Ken

Old 03-03-2009, 04:03 PM

13 posts, read 15,908 times
Default LordBalfor

Quote:
Are you denying that the south is "overwhelmingly GOP"?
Had I claimed such I'm sure it would have been evident.

Quote:
I NEVER said I wasn't in a Blue state - that's not the point is it?
The point is - I'm not the one CONTESTING the accuracy of the polls am I? You know, those SAME polls that ACCURATELY predicted Bush would win, and that Obama would win.
Not a point I even addressed in my post to you. Many people either do or don't hold polls in esteem. I'm sure you yourself are astute to the point of being at least suspicious of some polls at times.

Quote:
Dixiegirl7 is the one who MADE THE CLAIM that the polls were WRONG simply because the people she knows didn't like Obama. I simply pointed out that she lives in a very RED area of the country - and where Blacks have had the most severe problems even getting the ability to VOTE - so it NO WONDER they don't like Obama down there - and that HER claiming the fact that the people near HER not liking Obama is somehow PROOF that the polls are wrong is well - pretty ridiculous.
Explain it to me if I'm mistaken.... You're pointing out that since "where blacks have had the most severe problems even getting the ability to vote" there's a direct correlation to the people near her not liking Obama? In this case, I assume you're accusing these people of being racist. Couldn't it be these people near her simply found his politics not to their liking. I hear an awful lot of racist accusations being thrown around lately. Is this simply one more?

Quote:
And I stand by the position.
Her reasons for discounting the polls were completely illogical and nonsensical.

That fact I live in a Blue state doesn't change ANY of that.

Ken
I'm not so hung up on the belief or the denial of the accuracy of any polls in question. In fact, I find myself wondering if they're not merely another extension of media interference in politics. I personally never use them in debate.

Let me ask you this (sorry if it's somewhat tangent). In our latest Washington elections, do you consider the funding and advertising donated for many measures concerning gambling and smoking by the Native Americans in our area to have had strong influences on the outcomes? And if the answer is positive, then would you go so far as to say there may have been racism involved? Or was it simply following the money. Personally, I'm going with the money angle.

To bring this full circle let me simply say, I feel you may be mistaken as to the extent bigotry played in this presidential race. I feel you're much more on target with your realization that the south is overwhelmingly GOP.

Regards

Old 03-03-2009, 04:37 PM

sansculotte -

You don't think that anti-black sentiment plays a part in politics in the South?
If so, I'd say that's pretty naive. Can't speak specifically about Dixiegirl7 of course - nor of her friends, but I'd say it was fair assessment to say it plays a part in the fact that Obama did poorly in the south. In fact, the Obamabashers on this very board repeated touted the fact that the Bradley Effect (people claiming they would vote for Obama but then getting cold feet about when it actually came time to VOTE for a Black man) would rob Obama of victory even though the polls showed him ahead - so in effect even the Obamabashers were claiming there would be anti-Black sentiment - in fact, they were COUNTING ON IT. As it turns out, people who normally wouldn't vote for a Black man simply found OTHER reasons not to vote for Obama (the Rev Wright, his "terrorist" connections, etc, etc, etc) and made their preference clear in the polls - so the supposed Bradley Effect never took place.

In regards to the Indians and gambling - well, money definitely talks. Not sure exactly what you getting at there.

Again though the issue was the accuracy of polls - and Dixiegirl7's comment that she disbelieved them because the all the people SHE knows don't like Obama. The fact is, the polls were neither local to her specific part of the country nor made up specifically of her friends and acquaintances - and thus reflected the mood of the country as a whole - rather than a part of the country known to be pro-GOP and with a reputation for being anti-Black.

If she refuses to believe the polls, she certainly can, but the fact is, the polls are probably a lot more accurate gage of the mood of the country than a sampling of her and her friends.

That's my point, and I don't know how many different times I can restate it.
It's not all that complicated.

Her position would be like as if it was back in October of 2001 when Bush was riding high in the polls and I made a silly comment like I don't believe the polls showing a 90% approval rating for Bush simply because no one I KNOW likes the guy.

It's a silly position to take - and I was simply pointing it out.
As I said, it's not all that complicated.
I can't see why you are having such a problem understanding it.

Ken

Old 03-03-2009, 05:44 PM

485 posts, read 1,460,003 times
Quote:
sansculotte -

You don't think that anti-black sentiment plays a part in politics in the South?
If so, I'd say that's pretty naive. Can't speak specifically about Dixiegirl7 of course - nor of her friends, but I'd say it was fair assessment to say it plays a part in the fact that Obama did poorly in the south. In fact, the Obamabashers on this very board repeated touted the fact that the Bradley Effect (people claiming they would vote for Obama but then getting cold feet about when it actually came time to VOTE for a Black man) would rob Obama of victory even though the polls showed him ahead - so in effect even the Obamabashers were claiming there would be anti-Black sentiment - in fact, they were COUNTING ON IT. As it turns out, people who normally wouldn't vote for a Black man simply found OTHER reasons not to vote for Obama (the Rev Wright, his "terrorist" connections, etc, etc, etc) and made their preference clear in the polls - so the supposed Bradley Effect never took place.

In regards to the Indians and gambling - well, money definitely talks. Not sure exactly what you getting at there.

Again though the issue was the accuracy of polls - and Dixiegirl7's comment that she disbelieved them because the all the people SHE knows don't like Obama. The fact is, the polls were neither local to her specific part of the country nor made up specifically of her friends and acquaintances - and thus reflected the mood of the country as a whole - rather than a part of the country known to be pro-GOP and with a reputation for being anti-Black.

If she refuses to believe the polls, she certainly can, but the fact is, the polls are probably a lot more accurate gage of the mood of the country than a sampling of her and her friends.

That's my point, and I don't know how many different times I can restate it.
It's not all that complicated.

Her position would be like as if it was back in October of 2001 when Bush was riding high in the polls and I made a silly comment like I don't believe the polls showing a 90% approval rating for Bush simply because no one I KNOW likes the guy.

It's a silly position to take - and I was simply pointing it out.
As I said, it's not all that complicated.
I can't see why you are having such a problem understanding it.

Ken
Uhhhhh .... Have you ever been to the south or do you just buy into the stereotypes? I noticed that you didn't answer my post earlier, I guess because it doesn't fit with your stereotype.

Old 03-03-2009, 06:30 PM

2,265 posts, read 3,748,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbob View Post
I can't help but laugh a bit when I see all the die-hard Obama haters posting their vitriol on this and the Politics forum - and think of what a contrast those postings are to the general mood of the American public...

Over 60% of Americans approve of the job Obama is doing...

An even larger majority agree that he is trying to fix the problems he inherited and support his Stimulus Package.

Just not too many on this forum, that's all..

It helps put things into perspective when you realize that this forum in no way, shape or form represents the nation's support of Obama and wishes for him to succeed.
Sweet. Maybe if foreign countries lose faith in our economy we can just tell them Obama has a high approval rating. That should fix everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections