Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2010, 11:01 AM

60 posts, read 170,342 times

Advertisements

Jan, thanks for the kind words..I actually sat for 3 hours the other day reading every single post and am amazed by how strong the bond we have with our animals. Jan, I also decided to start reading "the art of racing in the rain" because I am struggling so much with what Sheldon would want me to do. I know everyone keeps telling me that Ill know when the time is right but I so badly wish Sheldon could be the one to tell me. We actually went for a walk the other day and sat on top of a hill in the park for what seemed like hours and I just talked and talked to him and despite his pain and bloody nose he still listened and offered me his paw ( his signature move to offer comfort, apology or a request for a treat ) and then I asked him I said "Sheldon, How can I let you go? Can you tell me its okay? That this is whats best? And of course he didnt respond in words but just stared up into the sky directly into the sunlight..It was so bright that day that I had to keep looking away but he didnt. I dont know if that was some kind of sign but it brought me comfort. Im already half-way through the book and I swear that Sheldon and Enzo were brothers! I always thought of my rottie as not a dog but a human trapped in a dog's body. I always joke with people that if he was human I would marry him because he is what I want in a man- Strong, patient, unconditonal, a great listener, and the best snuggler ever! I know the day is near that I will have to say goodbye to him and I hate it but he does not deserve to suffer. I still pray for a miracle and felt like yesterday was a victory because he didnt have a nose bleed, ate like a champ, and could have gone for hours on our nightly walk. Good days have been far and few between lately so it feels good to have one.
Katie, How are you and Allie doing? I hope that there are more good days then bad now for you two and are spending lots of time together. If I can be of any support please dont hesitate to write as I feel we are experiencing alot of the same feelings right now.
Hope everyone has a good weekend ( and i mean a GOOD weekend) full of trips to the park and snuggle time!
joyce and shel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2010, 09:10 AM

16 posts, read 46,663 times
I am sorry about sheldon. He sounds like a wonderful dog and you both are lucky to have each other. You will keep all the great thoughts of your time together even after he has said goodbye. Keep taking him on those walks and loving him. He will let you know when he is ready.
About a week after I had to say goodbye to Buddy my book club decided to read "the art of racing in the rain" I loved it. I laughed, cried, and everything in between. It made me think of all the funny things dogs do and I thought of alot of things Buddy did and wondered what exactly he was thinking. I suggest that book for all people especially dog owners.
Remember we are all here for you and sheldon and all the other dogs out there suffering from whatever it is. Spend time loving them and making more memories. My prayers are with you all.

Old 04-20-2010, 06:46 AM

Buddy's mom, Thank you for the kind words. The day is getting closer as Sheldon had a really bad night last night ( really big nose bleed and overall discomfort) so the next few days are going to be held sacred. Here is a photo of my handsome man, on one of his good days ( although you can see where his nose is raw and sore )
every day I pray for a miracle.. https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php...&id=1126277063

Old 04-22-2010, 02:35 PM

129 posts, read 491,655 times
Sorry for the short response, but I'm short on time. Just wondering if anyone has heard anything about the use of Palladia for nasal carcinoma? Scout is having difficulty breathing at night and among options moving forward mentioned Palladia. Apparently they are seeing some good results from it...

Thanks,
Erica

Old 04-26-2010, 07:12 AM

Well the day came. My sweet Sheldon was put to sleep at home in my arms on 4/22. Saddest day of my life. i took the majority of the day off and even though the weather man forecasted cold and rain the day was sunny and seventy. It was like God knew that it was Sheldon's last day and he deserved to see the sun. We went to all his favorite parks, Mcdonalds for chicken nuggets ( a very rare and special treat) and spent time with his all friends. I didnt want the day to end. Ironically he didnt have any nose bleeds that day and we walked for hours and hours on end without getting tired. The vet didnt come to our home until almost 9 pm and I have to say that the last 2 hours it was like Sheldon knew what was coming. He died so peacefully and was not afraid. It really was beautiful. We also took a clay imprint of his paw which I will cherish forever. As you can imagine I am devastated. The last few days have been a blur. The hardest part is waking up in the morning and realizing hes really gone. I know he was suffering and that I made the right choice but its still so hard. He was only 6! Too young to leave...His suffering has ended and now mine will begin...

Not sure if anyone needs it but I have about 20 tramodol left, 15 prendisone, clindamycin, and a couple flucozanole left. I will send it to anyone that needs it. I know how expensive meds can be so I hate to throw them away if some pup could use them.
Ericka,
I am sorry but I have no info on Palladia but I just want you to know that you and Scout are in my prayers and thoughts. Amazing, what we do for our sweet animals.

Old 04-26-2010, 10:54 AM

5,094 posts, read 12,591,680 times
Joyce,

You have my deepest sympathy. I know how hard the decision was but am glad that you and Sheldon had such a wonderful last day together. I know I found alot of comfort in taking Dash on his last drive all over ending in a walk at our favorite park the night before, in letting everyone that loved him say good bye during those last few days and of course in his smile as he ate his McDonalds meal. I also felt that Dash understood what was about to happen and that he was OK with it and that his death was actually a beautiful thig as we both were at peace with it. I also spoke with the animal communicator who felt Dash understood and was ready so I feel I can say I knew without a doubt that it was time.

I am very saddened by the fact your Sheldon was only 6 ( there was another dog that was only 4!) . I do not understand why this type of cancer happens in such young dogs and find that very heartbreaking.

My advice to you is to just talk about it as talking is so very healing and helps keep them alive until your heart does start to mend some and memories bring smiles. I swear Dash is still with me on agility days and is whispering in young Dazzles ear about what funny thing he can do to make the group laugh.

I can't remember if you have any other dogs or just had Sheldon but when your heart has healed some and you feel ready I do hope you find a new dog to share your life with. That old saying it is better to have loved and lost then to never have loved at all is so true. Another dog is not a replacement as it will never be the same but it brings a new love and adventure with it and many years later one can look back at life and recall all the great dogs one has shared their life with and there is a profound joy in having known so many great dogs.As I have said many times on this thread the saddest thing for me would be to NOT have known and loved so many great dogs as I would have missed so much with each being so special in its own way.

I send prayers that you can find comfort and let your heart heal and the memories of Sheldon soon bring only smiles. Take care and give yourself however much time it takes to get past the grief. Here is a big cyber ((((HUG))))) Jan

Old 04-26-2010, 10:59 AM

5,094 posts, read 12,591,680 times
Erica, I don't know anything about Palladia either but if you learn something about it do share it. I hope Scout is breathing better at night, he is an amazing dog with all he does despite the cancer. All I can say is Go Scout Go! Jan

Old 04-26-2010, 11:09 AM

1,272 posts, read 2,373,862 times
Joycez I'm so sorry for your pain and loss. I'm so happy you had a beautiful day of sunshine and McDonalds with Sheldon to cherish.
(hugs)

Old 04-27-2010, 06:49 AM

Jan,
I dont think I ever grieved so hard before. Ive lost both my father and stepfather and my loss with Sheldon is such a strong different kind of grief. The hardes part is waking up in the morning and realizing it wasnt just a bad dream and he's really gone. I havent mentioned before but I have a cat named Mish who is only one year older then Sheldon so they grew up together. They had a unique relationship where they willing to share my love and affection. Mish even tagged along for alot of our walks ( what a sight to see, a big rottie and a cat walking side by side!, cars would slow down and point and smile at the scene). Now that he is gone I know Mish is grieving too. She keeps looking for him and even though she saw him after he passed I think she is still confused and keeps laying in his favorite spot. Last night she slept so close to me which she never does ( because Sheldon wouldnt let her) and stays right by my side ( which is not the norm as she perfers to be outside) so I know she is hurting.

Old 04-27-2010, 07:04 AM

whoops didnt mean to post that just yet..Jan, as for another dog it seems that is everyones favorite question to ask of course because they know how much of a dog lover I am so it only makes sense to expect that I would want another dog. I almost screamed at someone last week ( when Sheldon was still with us) when they asked me if I would be getting another rottie soon I wanted to cover Sheldon's ears and tell the person to not say that in front of him - It was like people wanted me to move on before he was even gone.
Another hard part of this is I am moving in with my boyfriend in the next 2 weeks and he has a great dog named Emma ( who is 6 too, just like Sheldon) and the plan was for all of us ( me, the boy, sheldon, emma, and mish) to live together. Well now Sheldon is gone and it is so hard to start a new chapter of my life with out him. Being with Emma is like a double edged sword, it felt good to feed her and take her out yesterday ( the routine that I so dearly miss) but then I felt guilt and sorrow for the fact that it wasnt Sheldon I was taking care of. Someday I know the pain wil be easier to bear but right now its just too much. I cant look at another dog with out crying. Thank you for all reading this and providing support and the cyber hugs- It helps to have people who truly understand what I am going through. I am fortunate enough to have a great support network but I am finding that unless you've been through it you have a hard time understanding.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs