Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2010, 08:55 AM

16 posts, read 46,634 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I am updating on buddy. He is doing as well as can be expected now. His growth between his eyes is getting bigger. We still have him on the prednisone and tramadol. He doesn't seem to be in any pain and he still loves going out and playing ball and just being with me. He still eats and drinks normally and his favorite place these days is in the kitchen. He does seem to be drinking alot more. I read that is a side effect of the prednisone. I am enjoying every minute with him and giving him all the love I have.
I want to thank everyone out there for the support and let you all know that means alot to me. I am praying for everyone going through this or have gone through this. I am sending huge hugs to you all. talk to you all soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 09:48 AM

104 posts, read 471,049 times
buddy and tillie seem to be on similar paths. we just started tillie on tramadol and it really seems to have perked her up. she is not on prednisone, just piroxicam and clavamox. (that's plenty, isn't it?) the bump over her eye seems stable. is buddy's nose running/bleeding much? tillie's, just a bit. when she gets up and shakes her head a few drops spread around. no biggie. today, anyway. it's great that they seem less stressed by their cancer than we are!

Old 01-26-2010, 04:40 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,583,607 times
" it's great that they seem less stressed by their cancer than we are!" Arlene that is so true. Even when Dash's bump split open at the end he was not at all stressed and acted like every thing was fine which is why I did not rush to the vet to put him down. The vet was the most stresed by it follwed by most others that saw him but Dash acted like nothing was wrong. Friends that saw him were amazed that he just went about business like normal. I think either the infection or cancer or pressure from the swelling damaged the nerve on that side of his face and that he really was not in pain so to him life was normal except mom kept applying raw honey to his face! And that crazy vet had such a look of horror on his face when he first saw it What stressed Dash then was that I would not take him out on long walks or to the dog park with Dazzle. He was fine until that last day or two when I think the infection started to over power him and he decided that was it. We should be more like dogs!

I will keep sending positive thoughts in hopes that you get more time with Tillie and Buddy's mom gets more time with Buddy.They will let you know when they have had enough. Hugs to you both as I know how emotional this stage can be. Jan

Old 01-26-2010, 06:49 PM

another update. I think i jinxed myself this morning when I said all was going well. He had a great day and tonight when I fed him, he ate like usual and then when he was done he can in the kitchen and his nose was bleeding pretty good. I remembered what you all said about being calm because that stresses them. I did stay calm and got a rag and told him it was okay and stayed there till it ended, only a couple of minutes. After all was done I took him and my other dogs out and he went found a ball and wanted to play. He doesn't seem to be bothered by it. I hope this doesn't continue. It was pretty scary. My kids were more upset by it than anyone.
He is now chewing a rawhide and being the top dog.
Is this a sign that we are running out of time? When did the nose bleeds start for everyone else? The vet said a month maybe two, we are at 20 days.
Thanks again for you all being here.
Sarah

Old 01-27-2010, 09:51 AM

5,094 posts, read 12,583,607 times
Sarah, Nose bleeds do not mean time is running out. As most of us know they come and go and for some it has been that way since before the cancer was found and was the reason they went to the vets. Dash did not have alot of big nose bleeds but did tended to drip blood frequently or sneeze it out when he sneezed. It really depends on where the cancer is located, how vascular the area is and how aggressive the cancer is.

No one not even the vet can really say how much time Buddy has left as it could be months, weeks or even just a day which is why it is best to just live life and not not waste alot of time thinking about that. Vets like doctors give you averages and Buddy is not an average he is an individual. He could be the one that made it a week or the one that lived years. I would get worried if that growth suddenly doubles in size over night as that is what sort of happened with Dash. It got large then overnight it doubled in size so was huge and I went to work and told people I was afraid his head might explode while I was at work. The bump actually split open the next day but Dash remained unbothered by that just as he did with nose bleeds.

The other thing that would worry me would be sezuires as that would mean it had invaded his brain.

Just keep doing what you are doing and love and enjoy him. Spoil him a bit and let him enjoy his life. If you keep your eyes open he will let you know when it is time. I know it is hard on your kids as I remember dogs getting sick and dieing when I was a kid but perhaps that is one reason I am comfortable with death and learned to accept it as just another step we all take in life. Now stop counting those days! If he is eating and playing those are good signs!

Old 01-28-2010, 06:05 AM

129 posts, read 491,248 times
Hi Sarah,
Scout had his first nosebleed in early November of 2007. He didn't receive radiation until April and still had no outward signs of advanced cancer (other than the reverse sneezing and occasional bloody nose). My vet has described nasal tumors as very vascular, which means that as they grow or get disturbed by sneezing or excitement (like their owner scarfing down a dinner!), they tend to bleed. That and as the grow through blood vessels, they will cause bleeding. I hate hate hate the bloody nose part of this (not that I don't hate the rest of it), but it doesn't necessarily mean the end is near.

Also know that I've had oncologists from two institutions discuss the tying off of the carotid as a means for stopping frequent bloody noses. I wouldn't be surprised if we get their with Scout at some point as the bloody noses for him seem to be rather frequent once they start. Apparently a local vet can do the simple procedure. Might be an option as you get further down this very bumpy road.

wishing you the best,
Erica

Old 01-29-2010, 11:24 AM

another update to everyone. Buddy's tumor has pretty much taken over his face and head. I woke up this morning and he could barely open his right eye. The swelling had gotten that bad. Now just a couple hours later the left eye is barely open. He still follows me around and wants to play ball( even though he can not see it that well). He still seems to be in good spirits he just can not see well. He has bumped into a couple different things. I don't know if anyone has had this happen to one or both eyes but I don't know what to do. I don't know if it is time to just let him go and say goodbye. My vet said if he is still eating and acting normal then he is still okay. I don't know if this growth is going to get so big and split open. My biggest fear is that I will be selfish and keep him around longer than he wants to be here. I am so confused.

Old 01-29-2010, 08:11 PM

104 posts, read 471,049 times
there is no reason to say goodbye to buddy just yet. please re-read jan's (dashdog'S) posting about dash and his infection. tillie can't see but eats and plays and, like buddy, chases the ball even though she can't really see it. her bump hasn't grown overnight although from what i've read here, i expect that to happen. so hang in there until he gives you a better sign that his time is done!

arlene, tillie's mom

Old 01-31-2010, 07:53 AM

good news to share with everyone. Buddy's swelling has gone completely down and his eyes are open and normal. I am so happy for him. His tumor is still there but it is just a lump again. I was so worried friday. Has anyone else had this happen to their dogs?
I know this is probably only temporary but I will take the little wins in this horrible fight we are up against. thank you again to you all.
Sarah

Old 01-31-2010, 08:32 AM

129 posts, read 491,248 times
Great news, Sarah! I have no idea what it's all about, but you are right--we'll take any improvement with this disease!

Scout says to give Buddy some extra cookies today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs