Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2010, 05:23 PM

6 posts, read 19,585 times

Advertisements

Hello. My name is Licia and I have been reading this thread for the last month. First when my beloved Abbie starting having symptoms and since March 1st when she was diagnosed.

Thank you to all of you who have shared your experiences here. I have read all of your posts and have come up with a treatment plan for Abbie based on your experiences and research I have done on my own. You are all very special people and I wish you and your beautiful pups many happy days.

Dashdog, I would especially like to thank you for your detailed descriptions and pictures of what you and Dash went through. You were very lucky to have each other.

My Abbie is extremely active. We go on three mile walks daily and when we get home she loves to play fetch. We will be celebrating her 14th birthday on April 19th.
I live in the Seattle area and Sunday night Abbie and I are going on a five hour road trip to Washington State University to meet with an Oncologist at the University first thing Monday morning.

I don't think I can put her through the entire radiation ordeal, so I'm looking into palliative radiation and hoping to get her on some metronomic therapy. She has been on Piroxicam since March 1st when she was diagnosed. I'm making all of her food, so she's getting a high protein, low carb diet.

I would have known very little about all of these paths if it wasn't for all of you. Thank you so much. Abbie and I are extremely grateful. Love to you all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 05:28 PM

6 posts, read 19,585 times
Default This is the girl that you have all played a part in helping.

ATTACH]59370[/ATTACH]

Hopefully this works!
Attached Thumbnails
Nasal cancer-abbiegirl.jpg  

Old 03-10-2010, 05:32 PM

60 posts, read 170,290 times
Hello Everyone,
Here's an update on my sheldon..he is doing pretty much the same and has been on the flucozanole for 5 weeks. He hasnt gotten better but he hasnt gotten worse. Some more test results came in and although the CT scan says aspergillinosis ( fungal infection) the biopsy stains say lymphoma. He is going back in 2 weeks to have a swab done where they can further distinguish the correct diagnosis. Not the best news but not the worst. He is still eating but like you said Freddysbuddy sometimes its difficult to get them started and I dont know if that is the sense of smell or lack of appetite. Sheldon is still enjoying his walks and I try and take him every day even if I am tired from long day at work because I am so fearful that one day he won't be able to enjoy them. Erica, it sounds like Scout's symptoms are very similar to Sheldon's. How long has he been sick? And I know you mentioned Tufts, are you in the Massachusetts area? Not sure if we are talking about the same one or not. You are all in my prayers..I will update soon

Old 03-10-2010, 05:47 PM

60 posts, read 170,290 times
I just want to add that I didnt read the last 2 pages of posts before I put my last blog up until now and I just want to say to Buddy's mom that I will pray for you and buddy and know that your best friend is no longer suffering. I am writing this with tears in my eyes because Sheldon is laying on my feet right now snoring and I fear the day when he is no longer there. Again you are all in my prayers
joyce and sheldon

Old 03-11-2010, 05:01 AM

129 posts, read 491,291 times
Hi Joyce,
Scout was diagnosed with adenocarcinoma two years ago, with symptoms beginning at least two and a half years ago. He was initially treated at Angell Memorial in Boston, but we recently switched to Tufts Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine in North Grafton, MA because them have IMRT cabability. He is also receiving his chemotherapy there. While I preferred the non-vet school feeling and approach at Angell, I do think he is getting excellent care with Tufts.

I'm curious why Sheldon's CT scan says fungal infection--what does that look like that's different than a tumor? It must be very hard not knowing one way or the other, and I hope you get a diagnosis soon (although having the possibility that it's a fungal infection that can be cured may be a nice thing to hold on to!).

Good luck to Abbie on her trek down to the oncologist. If you are considering palliative radiation, I'd highly recommend IMRT if they have it.

Scout had his first dose of adriamycin (doxorubicin) on Monday and is feeling great!

Erica

Old 03-11-2010, 01:42 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,584,576 times
Abbies mom, Dash was only 11 when we found his cancer but that is one of the reasons I decided on the Palliative IMRT verses the full definitive IMRT. I figued at his age it would just be too difficult and by the end of his 5 days I knew I was correct as that last night he did not want to go in with the tech so I sort of cringed at the thought of him doing 10 -15 more days had I gone that way and knew then that I had been correct. My aim was to make him comfortable which it did and to maybe get him closer to a normal life span as long as quality of life was maintained. While in the end the cancer did win the time the IMRT gave me to accept his illness and get ready to say good bye was well worth the money I spent. I am so happy for the post IMRT time Dash and I had and I have no regrets. I think it is very important to consider age when making a decision. My Jazz is will be 14 in May.She is a very active and most people would not guess her age. I know if she comes down with another cancer,she had a nerve sheath sarcoma removed from her chest almost 18 months ago I would be conservative in any treatment due to her age and her fear of vets. With the sarcoma we could have done further treatment but my vet felt he had gotten it all and I did not feel she would have done well with any further treatment. I think it is very important to weigh both age and dogs temperment in the treatment equation and make sure quality of life and comfort are at the forefront. I wish you and Abbie the best and please keep us posted on what you decide and how she does.

Erica I am gald to hear that Scout is still doing well..GO Scout GO!!!

Joycez is it possible Sheldon could have a lymphoma with an underlying fungal infection due to a weakened immune system? I know sometimes fungal balls seen in lungs on CT can have a halo around them which then makes the doctors think fungal instead of cancer but usually it takes a biopsy to know for sure. Maybe they also have that halo when found in other places of the body too which could be why they feel the CT says what it does. I will keep sending prayers your way for Sheldon.

Sarah, I am glad that you can find comfort in the good memories of Buddy as that really does keep them alive in your heart. I guess he and Dash share McDonalds Cheeses burger stories that you and I will never forget.As I have said I can not think of Dash without a huge smile coming to my face. I miss him but life does go on and I would rather smile at his memory then cry as he was such a joyful fun loving dog that memories of him should be the same.

Please know you all remain in my thoughts and prayers. Jan

Old 03-13-2010, 09:46 AM

104 posts, read 471,075 times
tillie has not been interested in eating these past few days. i think she can't see and most likely can't smell her food. she hasn't been bleeding or sneezing too badly and actually looks better than she has in a while. her poops are fine, too. i have tried tuna, cooked chicken, peanut butter. only thing she eats are carrots and some chicken jerky treats, things i can actually place in her mouth. will keep trying but wanted to share..

Old 03-14-2010, 09:50 AM

Default the dog eats again

tillie ate breakfast this morning! just walked over to where her food is and looked around. fed her chicken and tuna. she had a nice dump. i can't figure out why but am just happy that she's back in chow-down mode. thanks.

Old 03-14-2010, 06:40 PM

129 posts, read 491,291 times
Yeah, Tillie! I've been thinking about her since I read your last post and am glad she's eating again.

Old 03-14-2010, 07:56 PM

Default sadly, tillie did not make it. march 14.

we have just come from saying goodbye to her. here's what happened: she suffered a seizure earlier today. when the seizing stopped she was disoriented, paced in circles, panting heavily. this went on for 45 minutes even after we gave her some xanax, recommended by the vet, to calm her down. tillie had not been eating for the past few days and she seemed restless, not herself, we were not surprised when the seizure hit. we chose to put her down now as there is no point in waiting for the next seizure to happen: she was not having a good time. she panted all the way to the vet - it being sunday, the nearest emergency clinic was not close enough. they sedated her but she seized again and we quickly asked them to end it never doubting that the time was right. after waiting 3 1/2 years since her nasal cancer diagnosis - wondering every day what the roller coaster of this disease would bring - it is stunning how quickly the end came; a matter of 3 hours from seizure to heaven.

i want to thank all of you for being here for me and tillie. if not for this group i would not have known what to expect. i had been anticipating this seizure for a long time, having read experiences from other dogs here that the cancer can push into the brain. it made it easier. wishing you and your dogs all the best.

thanks.

arlene
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs