Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2010, 08:58 PM

104 posts, read 471,529 times

Advertisements

i love the idea that you are moving on with another chapter of your life, not to help forget sheldon, of course, but to get out of the routine that he was such a big part of. time is everything here, joyce. we put tillie to sleep about 6 weeks ago and can smile at pictures of her now knowing we did the right thing. i hope this for you too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 10:53 AM

15 posts, read 55,204 times
Not sure why anyone should be doubting themselves...

Old 04-29-2010, 07:26 AM

60 posts, read 170,342 times
Tallmomma, Yes I know in a way timing is everything and moving/changing my routine helps with the grief and gets my mind off of things but I still feel so sad and guilty-I just hope that Sheldon doesnt think I am just forgetting about him because he had such an impact on my life that i cant even put into words. Today is one week and I cant believe Ive made it through the days-the mornings are the hardest. And it hurts to look at his pictures but I cant help to look at them...Such a sad time for me. I look forward to the day that I can just smile at the memories and not cry...

Old 04-29-2010, 02:56 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,591,680 times
I still feel so sad and guilty-I just hope that Sheldon doesnt think I am just forgetting about him because he had such an impact on my life that i cant even put into words.

Joyce Please do not think that way. To me dogs are all about having fun and they light up when they make an owner laugh or even smile. I like to think that they are alot like people and would want us to move on and be happy more then anything else in life. Having worked in a hospital 30 yrs and having spent alot of time with dieing people,often the # 1 concern is for the people they will be leaving behind as they do not want them to be sad and alone. It is one of the conversations I have had with many while I work with them. Many are not afraid to die but are afarid of what will happen to those loved ones after they are gone. I think if they knew that their loved ones would find joy and happiness and yes even with new people that they would be more at peace when they died. I feel dogs are the same and do not even think that you will forget them as they know that their paw print is where it should be and that is in your heart.

When Maddie my first dog as an adult was 14 she had lymphoma and a bad heart I had gotten a puppy during her last few months that was Jazz. I think Maddie saw it as her job to teach that puppy right from wrong and how to take care of me as I do think she felt that was a dogs job She was tired and ill but hung in there and spent alot of time with the devil puppy ( and trust me Jazz was a devil puppy) I got the feeling that one day Maddie decided she had done all she could for me in training Jazz and that yes Jazz could take over . Though I am also sure she was thinking Good luck with that beast as she knew what an attitude Jazz had. But she also seemed to know that Jazz would help fill the soon to be void in my heart. She just seemed filled with peace and gave me this look that said " It is time for me to leave you now as my work is done" She really had not changed any in the past 24 hrs but that look said it all and I called the vet and set things up for that afternoon. Well later I started thinking maybe I could wait a bit longer and it was as if Maddie saw that and thought no you don't I am out of here as she went from being fine one minute to going into full blown congestive heart failure the next which meant rushing her to the vet to put her down and save her from any suffering and on the drive to the vets just before she passed out she put her paw on my leg as if to tell me " you will be OK, Jazz will take over for me" Since then I felt no guilt in loving the beast Jazz as I really felt that is what Maddie wanted me to do.

Dash was not much different as he spent the last few months of his life focused on Dazzle like he too was trying to teach the pup how he could make me and Jazz happy so that Dazzle would just step into his paw prints and we would move forward. I have said I feel Dash out on the Agility course with Dazzle telling him "time to pull a stunt and make everyone here laugh". Dash was such a happy soul that I know he would want me to be happy, laugh and move on or as the song goes " if you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with.

Seldon would be happy to see you turning the page and developing a new routine in life and most of all you smiling and being happy. I think he will feel that he did a good job teaching you in his time here with you.So he will not feel hurt or jealous but instead pride that his Joyce is Ok without him.Try pushing the guilty thoughts you have aside with these new ones and pretty soon you may be sharing smiles with Sheldon in a secret way that only you and he understand as it will be via your souls.Life is energy and energy never goes away it just changes form so Sheldon will forever be a part of your life.

Give yourself time and take as much time as you need despite things other may say as grief is a very personal thing. ((((hugs)))) Jan

Old 05-03-2010, 08:55 AM

16 posts, read 46,663 times
I am so sorry about Sheldon. It breaks my heart to hear about another dog. Just think about all the great time you had with him and smile. I'm sure he is smiling down on you. I'm sorry again.
Sarah

Old 05-04-2010, 07:22 AM

Hello Everyone,
Yes Jan I know you are right about the guilt. It can eat you alive. I am trying really hard. Sheldon was my running partner, we ran/walked 3 miles every morning and then again after work. I ran alone for the first time the other day in 6 years. It was so hard and I cried the whole time, but I kept telling myself that Sheldon would want me to keep running, to keep doing the things we use to do. But again I say it is so hard. Sheldon was my coping skill. Although I have great friends and family, Sheldon was there when no one else was, When I was sad we would walk, When i was mad i would vent to him and we would walk. He was also my partner in crime running errands with me and what not. We spent ALOT of time together so I truly feel lost with out him. I feel like there is a piece of me missing. It has only been ten days and the pain is just as strong as the first...I am very busy so it helps me be motivated and keeps me focused but I cant help but hurt. One day at a time.

Old 05-06-2010, 01:29 AM

65 posts, read 136,327 times
Default Italian dog, nose transitional cell carcinoma

Hi to everyone!!,

I've been reading many of your stories for about a week.
My dog was diagnosed with nasal cancer and in Italy is much more difficult to find an oncologist and a radiation therapy center.

I'm waiting to know if my dog is a candidate for radiation (palliative or curative) and I can't find any Italian forum to ask about pet owners experiences with radiation and quality of life for the pet....

Could you please tell me about your experiences in terms of overall survival and quality of life??what were the side effects during the therapy and after it? How long has your dog survived the threatment beeing healthy and without symptoms? How did he/she did when the time came??

I hope you can help me in deciding....

My dog is 8 years old.... and she is the "heart" of my whole life....

Alessia&Luna, from Italy

Old 05-06-2010, 07:43 AM

104 posts, read 471,529 times
Default how tillie did with radiation

tillie had no side effects from palliative radiation - 5 sessions of targeted IMRT. she lived almost 2 years (20 months) after her last treatment. 18 months before that, when she was also 8, she had surgery and 20 days of radiation. that which was NOT targeted like IMRT is and by the end of that she had some swelling in her eye and she was tired. after a month or so she recovered fully. HOWEVER...radiation was responsible for her losing her eyesight over the next 3 years. but i do believe that it prolonged her life and her quality of life was high, even as her eyesight deteriorated. good luck.

Old 05-06-2010, 08:23 AM

65 posts, read 136,327 times
thanks tallmomma... thanks a lot!I've read your stories and what you did for your dog is amazing.
I still don't know if Luna can be candidate for irradiation and, if so, which kind: palliative of curative.

I'm afraid of the curative one... cause I've read that side effects are acute and severe ... but from what you write it's not like that.... even if I don't know if here in Italy think work the same way,

I should go to a center where there's a IMRT device... which I guess is better.

Do you think is normal that my dog (whose cancer hasn't spread to the brain or bone... at least not till april 15th when the CT scan was performed) is already less active and energetic? This makes me think that the cancer has spread....

It' so hard...

Old 05-06-2010, 12:16 PM

Hi Alessia and Luna,
I am glad that you found this forum to ask questions and find support for you and your sweet Luna. This forum has been so helpful for me. If you have read my past posts you would know that I just lost my 6 year old rottweiler Sheldon to what had seemed to be nasal cancer. His diagnosis was never definitive but results said 80% lymphoma. He was not a canidate for radiation so I cannot give you any information about that but I do know that Sheldon did have on/off lethargy and lack of energy at times even before we knew what was wrong and that was what prompted me to go to the vet ( obviously the main symptom was the runny nose and frequent sneezing) Symptoms first started in late October and he lost his battle on April 22nd ( 2 weeks today) When his CT scan was completed (in january) it did show evidence of destruction in the crytoform ( bone that lines the brain case) so I can tell you that if there is no evidence of this yet then its probably a good thing and radiation could potentially help whether being pallative or curative. I can tell you that if Sheldon wasnt so advanced I would have done it all but it was too late. I hope you and Luna are doing well as I know exactly what you are going through and I know how badly you want to help your baby. What kind of dog is Luna?
Prayers and postivie thoughts for you,
Joyce ( and sheldon in spirit)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs