Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2009, 11:32 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,586,673 times

Advertisements

Alot of chemos in humans can drop your blood counts especially the platlets which means you bleed very easy and may have a hard time stopping bleeding so perhaps that is why you are seeing bloody nasal discharge again? That is why when you are on chemo they usually do blood tests before each dose to make sure you can handle the next dose.

I am still sending positive thoughts and prayers out here for all of you still in this battle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2009, 07:27 AM

15 posts, read 56,896 times
We had our first bout of nausea last night. It has been 8 days since chemo, so I am not sure if it was a result of chemo or not. He ate his dinner and was playing around and then he seemed to be laying around and dripping drool constantly and smacking his lips. I knew what it was from some of the research I had done, so we have him Pepto Bismol and he was better. Did Scout have any nausea from the chemo? Also, what is Scouts protocol for the chemo?

Old 11-18-2009, 08:08 AM

22 posts, read 95,028 times
Sageanddjmom, I don't know how much truth there is to it but, I've been told that Pepto now has asprin in it. The "old" formula did not so it was OK to give to dogs. Tagamet or something simular may be better. Check with your veterinarian to make sure. Just a "heads up".

Old 11-18-2009, 04:21 PM

129 posts, read 491,350 times
Scout hasn't had any GI issues yet. I did ask my oncologist about Pepto because I had read it was okay to give. She said they didn't typically give it to dogs and gave us a scripts for metronidazole for diarrhea and metoclopramide for vomiting, if they were occur.

Scout's protocol is carboplatin once every three weeks for a total of 3 doses followed by adriamycin (doxyrubicin) once every three weeks for a total of (I think) 3 doses.

I hope Sage is feeling better soon.
Erica

Old 11-18-2009, 06:12 PM

15 posts, read 56,896 times
Our vet is the one who told us to give him Pepto. I will do some research on that and see what I find. Thanks for the heads-up. Sage is doing much better today and is eating back to normal. I really hate that our baby is going through this.

Old 11-18-2009, 08:22 PM

4 posts, read 16,162 times
Thanks for the information on the Shark-cartilage, I may consider adding it to my dog's diet.

I'm pretty sure Pepto is fine, we usually send out clients with Metocloprimide but sometimes recommend it as something to have on hand at home. I looked at the website and there was no mention of aspirin in the liquid and chewable forms.

What do you guys think of the carboplatin? It made my dog sick, and she had a reaction to it and her skin broke out. I'm willing to try it one more time, but she has started sneezing, which had stopped when she got the doxorubricin. I know they can react to chemo differently each time they have it, but it sucked that she did so well the first time.

Old 11-19-2009, 04:49 PM

129 posts, read 491,350 times
Default Carboplatin

I'm afraid I can't really give any good information about the carboplatin. Since Scout just finished palliative radiation, I have no way to know if it is working or not. It didn't cause him any side effects, and his blood work was perfect a week following treatment. We did have the episode of bleeding, which seems to have subsided, and I'll be interested to see if we see it again after the next treatment.

Sorry I don't have much to offer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plebayo View Post
Thanks for the information on the Shark-cartilage, I may consider adding it to my dog's diet.

I'm pretty sure Pepto is fine, we usually send out clients with Metocloprimide but sometimes recommend it as something to have on hand at home. I looked at the website and there was no mention of aspirin in the liquid and chewable forms.

What do you guys think of the carboplatin? It made my dog sick, and she had a reaction to it and her skin broke out. I'm willing to try it one more time, but she has started sneezing, which had stopped when she got the doxorubricin. I know they can react to chemo differently each time they have it, but it sucked that she did so well the first time.

Old 11-21-2009, 07:11 AM

14 posts, read 101,834 times
Ziggy was put to sleep On Nov. 7th. I just posted a very long reply, but don't know if it went through.In any case, I wanted to thank all the wonder ful folks who have spent time on this forum, allowing me to vent, to read other people's suffering and to hear about all the wonderful relationhsips that people have with their dogs.On Nov. 7th Ziggy walked into the kitchen with a terrible nose bleed. Overall within the past four months he had had about six serious bleeding episodes where he ended up so weak that he was close to death each time. I managed to keep him going with wonderful iron rich foods such as chicken livers etc. but wondered if I was really doing him or myself any favors. it was very hard caring for him in the end. Although he was still walking, eating , sleeping with me and responding to my presence...not wanting to let me out of his sight for a minute. So, I couldn't do it...that was the bottom line...I can't count ho.w many times I picked up the phone, or thought about calling the Vet. My big fear was that I would call the Vet and after her arrival, discover that I couldn't go through with it. On Nov. 7th. The bleeding was very very bad. I had to take Ziggy outside and told him to lay down in the grass. He tried to get up but was weak. As the bleeding continued. I finally did pick up the phone and call. Sobbing, I asked her if she was available to come over SOON. thankfully she said she could be here in about an hour. So with my neighbor and a friend we waited and watched Ziggy suffering in the grass. When the VET arrived it did not go easily. Due to loss of blood, she couldn't get the solution into any veins. So it was three tries before it worked. that was not what I needed, but there was no going back.After Ziggy's eyes had no more light in them. We brought him into the house. I had made a conscious decision to bury him on my property, which I had never been able to do with my previous dogs.That sleepless night was spent in washing his body, talking to him and sewing a burial shroud for himI buried him with friends the following day.I miss him. . The house is empty. I don't understand how some people do not understand the importance or the strength of our animal companions hold on us or of us on them. To my mind. to love a dog is one of the most human things we can do next to loving our own kids, friends and family.Well, I will sign off from this message board. I wish all of you many years of joy with you dogs.

Old 11-21-2009, 06:44 PM

You have my sympaties on the loss of Ziggy. I am sorry to hear that the end was so rough for him but you did what needed to be done and that is never easy when it means saying goodbye to a dear friend. I hope time will heal your heart and that memories of Ziggy bring smiles to your face.

I know someone that buries their pets on their property and then plants a bush or tree there so when you walk around the yard each bush or tree has special meaning and I imagine that is very healing too. Jan

Old 12-01-2009, 10:39 AM

I am hoping that everyone had a nice Thanksgiving and that those of you still in the battle are thankful your dogs are still with you and for some of us that have lost dogs, we can be thankful for the time we did have with them. I am also thankful that Dash had such a peaceful death and seemed 100% ready to more onward in his journey.

I hope the dogs doing Chemo are doing well as I know for humans chemo can be rough at times.

Dash has already been gone 2 months..doesn't seem possible as just the other day he was at the dog park with Dazzle and I hunting gophers or so it seems. The mention of his name does not make me sad but does put a smile on my face. He would be happy about that as he was a dog that loved to make people laugh and he himself always seemed so happy. Life does go on without him and many happy memories have been made with the other two dogs.Dazzle and I just got back from a trip up north to The San Fransisco Bay area then to Oregon, then to a silken windhound show In the bay area. It was what I needed to put any sad feelings about Dash behind me. Jazz stayed with her Grandpa as at 13 and cranky towards other dogs the trip would not have been fun for her. During our long drives I often felt Dash standing in his navigator spot in the car and one night at my sisters in Oregon I had a dream that he was standing beside my bed watching me sleep. It was so real I woke up thinking he had to go out only to realise it was a dream and that I was not even in my own bed at home.Often the feeling that he is still around me is strong.

I think I promised to share a few photos of him from right before that swelling opened up..be warned they may be hard to look at as that swelling had gotten huge almost over night.I share these so you can see what could happen if the cancer takes the path of least resistance and grows outward instead of back into the brain. Yes his left eye was swollen shut but when you see the photos of him on his last trip to the dog park he seems to have a big grin on his face as if saying " life is good". These are photos of him hunting Gophers and the first one is afterwards so that stuff on his tongue was dirt as he had his nose down the gopher hole and was grabbing chunks of dirt to speed up his digging to get the gopher which he never did get. Oh well it was fun .

R.I.P. My little buddy and yes life is good. Jan

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs