Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2010, 02:41 AM

65 posts, read 136,405 times

Advertisements

THANKS A LOT JAN!!!

What I can't understand is:

-the dosing which I guess should be adapted to the dog's weight
-if the dog needs to be fed only with this sort of cream or if it should be added to his/her normal food (maybe using what's suggested in the cancer diet)

unfortunatly in my area there are NO holistic vets so I'll try to email someone abroad.. and see if they answer.

Do you still have Chol's email address? do you think I might try to get in touch with him?

thanks a lot for you, as USUAL, very precious help.

NB: Luna too had struvites when she was younger...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2010, 06:42 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,594,669 times
Alessia ,

Dash had Calcium oxalate stones so I do know the diet is different for them then it is for struvite stones. I will DM you the last E-mail address I have for Chol. Or you can go to page 35 and click on his name on his post and DM him. He is a very caring person so I am sure if he gets an E-mail or DM from you he will share what he did for Bear and what he knows about the Budgwig Protocol.

I hope you and Luna are having a good evening or day as I am not sure of what the time difference is. Does she get her next treatment on Wed? Sending positive thoughts your way Jan

Old 06-02-2010, 03:14 AM

Hi all,

our next treatment is tomorrow (Thursday) at 9.00 AM. I hope everything will be fine... as well as the citology results for the small "ball" under the paw.

Thanks Jan... and thanks to all of you.
I hope you're having a great day.

Alessia & Luna

Old 06-02-2010, 12:30 PM

129 posts, read 491,817 times
Alessia,
I think we got our Budwig protocol dose from Chol, but I can't remember. For the first 3 months or so, I did 4 teaspons of cottage cheese and 2 teaspoons of flaxseed oil twice per day. Now I do it just once per day (or whenever I think of it). I mix it with a handheld mixer and feed it separately from his meals. It's his special treat for when I leave. Not sure it's done anything, but it isn't hurting (although I've often wondered about the high levels of fat/cholesterol).

We head back to Tufts tomorrow for a check up and possible start of Palladia. We were smelling a wildfire in Quebec this weekend, so I'll probably pick up some antibiotics to be prepared...Scout has been having nosebleeds again, but they have slowed down the past few days. He's still acting like the same good dog.

Best,
Erica

Old 06-02-2010, 02:12 PM

Hi Erica,

I hope the wildfire won't be a problem for your Scout so that there's no need for the antibiotics.

Have you fed him with this diet even if he was on Piroxicam and other drugs? What did your vet tell you about this protocol? did he agree?

I hope the best to all of you and ... a huge hug to Scout.

Alessia & Luna

Old 06-02-2010, 03:00 PM

72 posts, read 160,432 times
Hi all, Hoping that Scout won't need the antibiodics - and we are so glad that Luna has had her 3rd treatment and all is going well. Joyce, as usual, I didn't answer what you wrote about Sheldon. I think that is a very nice place for you to have a memorial place. It was special to you and you went there and had good memories and times there. I know, they would want us to be happy and I do try but some days are just rough. How are you doing? I try and read until I fall asleep and then I hope that I will not wake up til morning. You get so used to that breathing next to you, the legs pushing and moving. It seems like yesterday they were tiny pups.
I wished we had a one floor without steps to bother with so he could have come up and been with us.
I know what you are saying is so so true - You just want to wake up and find it was all some imagined thing - probably there isen't a person here that hasen't felt that way. When I come down in the morning, after Rocky couldn't do the stairs anymore without a possible fall, sometimes would be sitting in the foyer area - where his memory box is now - and with the night lite on, I swear I have seen him. I wonder sometimes how long Rocky had the cancer - that the lump just appeared and only one little patch of blood a few days earlier. Darbi and Rocky

Old 06-02-2010, 03:05 PM

72 posts, read 160,432 times
Alessia, we will be thinking of Luna tomorrow morning and also for the cytology results. You are a very brave mom and doing a wonderful job of helping Luna. Darbi and Rocky

Old 06-02-2010, 03:37 PM

thanks Darbi... you all have probably no idea of how much I appreciate.... but there's something weird going on:

I can't feel better... not even for a second... maybe it's because I'm totally alone... even once back home but.. I should be happy for the 3 well gone treatments... I should be happy that we are going to head back home soon but.. I'm not... my only tought is: Luna has got cancer...

It's such a strong and unbearable pain in my heart.. STILL.. I can't believe it!!! and it's sad and horrible: if I'm not able to live day by day and make her feel happy even through my joy... what's the goal of the time we have left together? it can't be just tears and stress... I must give her something better thank this but if so... WHY AM I NOT ABLE TO DO IT??
I feel too lonely and lost.. and I can't even think of how I can go to work next week and leave her home alone.. beeing conscious that I'm loosing precious time with her....

sorry guys if I'm not positive and... I know all this is useless and can't bring anything good... but tonight I actually feel LOST...

Hugs to all...

Old 06-02-2010, 07:11 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,594,669 times
Erica, I hope the smoke from the wildfires does not become an issue for you and Scout as I remember how tough the 3 wild fires were for Dash. Scout is an amazing dog and I do hope things go well with his check up tomorrow.

Darbi and Joyce. What can I say except offer you both a big cyber hug. Grief is a strange thing and it is so different for each of us. Just when we think we are finally over it some memory sends a spark and we are reduced to ashes again. Having dealt with so much of it these past 6 years I think that No you never get past grief but instead you find a way to live with it. You develop a new " normal". Grief becomes a piece of your life and will continue to flame up every now and then. But memories eventually do spark smiles too as how could they not? Our loved ones ( canine and Human ) live on forever thanks to memories.

Alessia, I think what you are feeling is so normal at this point in treatment. When you hear that word cancer even when you yourself do not have the actual cancer it does start to invade your very being and it tends to paralyze your every thought. Your life becomes all about cancer. Then you start to make peace with it and while yes you do think about it every day it is not in that same paralyzing way. You actually start to live a semi normal life again and take each day as it comes and hopefully see each day as the gift it really is. What you may not know is that you are already grieving .

When my mom had her first chemo rounds we were all consumed with the cancer and death and it drove her CRAZY! She was exhausted and would sit down to rest and my dad would walk in and stare at her and maybe even touch her to make sure she was still alive, we tended to do everything for her. I spent a great deal of time at my parents helping out so was there when she had her melt down and it yelled at my dad and told him to quit watching her every move and quit asking how she was and then she directed it at me and said " I can still cook you know I am not an invalid'' ( though she was very weak as that first chemo was brutal) She said I want you all to relax as I am alive not dead. Well that hit home pretty hard and she was right she was alive so she wanted to live what time she had left as a normal person not be reminded every waking minute that she had cancer. We had to make the choice to live as normal a life as we could and push those cancer thoughts to the rear so what time she did have was about life not death . Save the death thoughts for the dead and not waste them on the living.

After that I started to view cancer as a calling card and that helped me so much as I was able to breathe again. I say a calling card because yes it does often mean the person does not have alot of time left but it does not always mean they will die before us. I have said this many times any one of us or our dogs could drop dead from many different things this very next minute the difference is we do not spend time thinking about it as we do not know how, when or where we will die. Cancer tends to say it could be soon but once again we still do not know how,when or where so in a way that cancer patient is still on the same playing field we are.Since we know that their time may be short we are able to then live each day as the gift that I think life really is and in some ways those days are so much more special. I also learned not to waste my time worring about why my mom or why my dog? We all die sooner or later and so the question really is why some one else instead of me? why should I or my loved ones be any different then any one else?

I think because of my job I do see alot of death and the fact that life can end in the blink of an eye for anyone or any pet is something I see everday I am at work so I have become more comfortable with death then most people that are not around it are. This was all driven home this past week as one of the chemo nurses at the hospital died in a car accident on her way to work. When I heard I thought she probably goes home everyday and thinks about how sad it is for her patients and their families that are nearing the end of the cancer battle but never in her mind did she think when she got into her car to come to work that morning that her life would end and she would be the tragedy that day instead of Mr Jones and his lung cancer. The sad part is that Mr Jones who she was so worried about will get to say goodbye to his family and they to him as even if he suddenly dies they have been doing so all this time in quiet little ways and his family will have that as a comfort. The nurse and her family did not get that as not one of them ever imagined that she would die that morning and instead of the comfort Mr jones family will have her family will probably have alot of anger. ( my 20 yr old neice also died suddenly in a car accident and the anger her parents felt still haunts them) I think when you learn to view Cancer or many other terminal illnesses in that light you learn how to relax and live as normal a life as you can.

With Dash when I decided on the IMRT it was to buy him quality time so while it was difficult when he was getting the treatment as it is hard to put cancer on the back burner when you are going to treatment, once we werre done I had to make that decision that yes we were going to live and enjoy each precious day he was with me as they really were gifts. That means you do have to block those negative thoughts and replace them with the fact the dog is still alive and still enjoying life. With Dash it became easy as he did not appear to be sick and he appeared to just be any normal dog. I could have sat and cried and put my life on hold but I decided not to as I did the IMRT so that he could have that quality time so that is what I gave him and myself as some of those days were so very precious perhaps even made so because in the back of my mind I knew our time was limited. I am sort of dealing with that now with my 14 yr old dog Jazz. I make sure each day is a fun day for her .

It is probably even harder on you since right now you are not even at home. when you do get home try to relax and let life happen so that this time you have just given her will be worth every minute. Don't be afraid to go to work as she will be fine.It may be a huge struggle for you but try to think of life verses death as kep in mind that Today she is alive so live today that way and just take each day as they come and as a gift. Remember she will pick up on your stress and your emotions. Do not give the cancer all your power as then it wins now. Hang in there as yes you can do this even if you do not think you can.It will take time as I said you are already grieving as that word cancer starts the grief process long before death.

Hugs to you and Luna and I will send positve thoughts her way tomorrow as she gets her next treatment. I can't remember when I last heard from Chol but it was after Dash died. I think it took him a few days to get back to me as I think he felt bad as I had lost Dash and Bear was doing well . But in truth I as very glad to hear Bear was doing well. Jan

Old 06-02-2010, 09:27 PM

4 posts, read 8,643 times
To Jan and everyone who posts here,

Thank you. I am new to the site. I found my way here in sadness and desperation. My dear friend and companion was recently diagnosed with cancer. It has all happened so quickly, I'm a bit overwhelmed. Lucky sneezed a couple of times one morning and then the flood gates opened. I didn't know a dog could bleed that much that quickly and still stand. I rushed him to the vet and we eventually got it stopped. Cancer was not the first thought because he had nothing else that would indicate it. Before we had the chance to scope a lump appeared on the bridge of his nose near his right eye. When they did get in there, it gushed again and they found the cancer, advanced. I know he is old, but I just never prepared myself for this. What is amazing is that he is a trooper. I know his nose bothers him but he seems more interested in comforting me. I feel guilty that I'm not as strong.

Your posts give me strength. Through them I have witnessed incredible love and compassion not only for your afflicted loved ones but also for others who bear the burden of such a cruel disease. I'm so sorry for all the pain you have endured. This path, not of our choosing, is harder than I could have imagined. I'm not sure if I can bear what may happen.

I'm sorry if this post is so negative. The pain is so fresh that is hard for me to be anything else.

All I ask for now is time. Quality time.

Thanks again to all. I don't feel quite so alone.
-Gracelyn & Lucky
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs